[HOW TO] Root Coby Kyros 1126 ICS 4.0.3 (WorkInProgress)

Dsoto

Aug 16, 2012
Hello, I'm a Coby Kyros 1126 user and as many of you all too, you might be having some sort of trouble trying to root the new update. I leave you with this simple and direct tutorial.
I am, in no way, responsible for damages to your tablet.

This tutorial is a WorkInProgress. I've only managed to work this root out in an MID1126 4.0.3 ICS. Feel free to try it in your ICS coby tablet or jellybean.

This tutorial will also install(If wanted) all the google apps directly. No need to install one by one.

FIRST STEP:

Please install ADB. You will need it to get into recovery mode.
follow these steps:

How To: Install ADB and Fastboot on your Windows computer for use with your Android phone | dotTech

Also install these drivers just in case:
Zippyshare.com - TCC ADB DRIVER 32.ZIP

SECOND STEP:

Download these files.
RecoveryTool.apk (Tool to install ClockWorkMode)

jcase_rootme.zip (Rooting File)

update.zip (ClockWorkMode)

gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip (Google Apps for 4.0.3 . Optional)

After you downloaded all these files, put them in your tablet memory, on the /SDcard directory (It didnt work in mine if I put them on an external SD card)
Note: DO NOT UNZIP THE FILES

THIRD STEP

Install RecoveryTool.apk

Open Recovery Tool app. Here you will see all your .Zip files in your tablet. Click on the UPDATE.ZIP file. The tablet now will reboot.

FOURTH STEP

After reboot, open a Command Prompt and go to your platform-tools folder(My path is C:\Users\Davis\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools) and type this command "adb reboot recovery". The tablet will reboot on ClockWorkMode recovery.

To navigate in the recovery menu, the power and Volume+ buttons are the 'Enter'. The Volume- button is the scroller.

In recovery mode, scroll down to "Install ZIP from sdcard"
$20120816_030956.jpg
Click "Choose zip from sdcard"
$20120816_031031.jpg
Choose "jcase_rootme.zip" and let it do its thing
$20120816_031103.jpg
Scroll and choose "YES"
$20120816_031111.jpg
again click "Choose zip from sdcard"
Now, Choose "gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip" and click yes!(It might take a while this one)
$20120816_031133.jpg
Last, in the command prompt, type 'adb reboot'
The device will reboot and TADAA!

Note: Remember, in Command Prompt, to go to folder you have to write 'cd' and then the name of the folder.

If you want to prove if you are rooted, download "RootChecker" from the android market.

Will update if process works on 4.1.1

Uncle_N

Sep 3, 2012
working method for JB 4.1.1: (confirmed for 1126 and 1125)

(this is translated from German into English and I'm not sure because of the right designations but I think you know, what is meant)

1. install Recovery.apk
1.1 start Recovery.apk
2. choose Update.zip ...Coby installs the Update.zip und reboots
3. start Recovery.apk again
3.1 choose Superuser.zip.....Coby installs Superuser.zip and reboots

installing CWM

4a. install License.apk
4b. install Rom Manager.apk
4.1 connect to WLan
4.2 start Rom Manager
4.3 choose "install Clockwork Mod Recovery"
4.4 choose 1126
4.5 press "Yes" (ignore warnings)
4.6 choose CWM 3.x
4.7 to control if cwm works properly boot from CWM into Recovery (Root!), ready so far

Market-Installation:

1. start ES-File Explorer
2. choose Options (because ES File Explorer needs Root)
3. choose "Root Explorer"
4. choose "Integrate Filesystem"
5. choose "up to Root"
6. leave "Options"
7. press "back" again (now you should see system-folder)
8. choose system-folder, choose app-folder, mark aldiko-app (move it to another place (because we need space)
9. back to GAPPS-folder, there in "system-folder" and there in "app-folder"
10. in ES-File-Explorer press "Select"
11. mark "GoogleLoginService.apk", "GoogleServicesFramework.apk", "Phonesky.apk", "OneTimeInitializer.apk" und "SetupWizard.apk" (Phonesky.apk is Android-Market/Play)
12. copy these apks
13. back to "local/system-folder", there in "app-folder"
14. paste the five apks (above) from cache
15. for those files set rights 644 (I think you know how to do it)
16. reboot

1. Root-Files you need

2. Market-Files you need

Last edited:

harrymcqueen

Aug 30, 2012
working method for JB 4.1.1: (confirmed for 1126 and 1125)

(this is translated from German into English and I'm not sure because of the right designations but I think you know, what is meant)

1. install Recovery.apk
1.1 start Recovery.apk
2. choose Update.zip ...Coby installs the Update.zip und reboots
3. start Recovery.apk again
3.1 choose Superuser.zip.....Coby installs Superuser.zip and reboots

installing CWM

4a. install License.apk
4b. install Rom Manager.apk
4.1 connect to WLan
4.2 start Rom Manager
4.3 choose "install Clockwork Mod Recovery"
4.4 choose 1126
4.5 press "Yes" (ignore warnings)
4.6 choose CWM 3.x
4.7 to control if cwm works properly boot from CWM into Recovery (Root!), ready so far

Market-Installation:

1. start ES-File Explorer
2. choose Options (because ES File Explorer needs Root)
3. choose "Root Explorer"
4. choose "Integrate Filesystem"
5. choose "up to Root"
6. leave "Options"
7. press "back" again (now you should see system-folder)
8. choose system-folder, choose app-folder, mark aldiko-app (move it to another place (because we need space)
9. back to GAPPS-folder, there in "system-folder" and there in "app-folder"
10. in ES-File-Explorer press "Select"
11. mark "GoogleLoginService.apk", "GoogleServicesFramework.apk", "Phonesky.apk", "OneTimeInitializer.apk" und "SetupWizard.apk" (Phonesky.apk is Android-Market/Play)
12. copy these apks
13. back to "local/system-folder", there in "app-folder"
14. paste the five apks (above) from cache
15. for those files set rights 644 (I think you know how to do it)
16. reboot

1. Root-Files you need

2. Market-Files you need

I can confirm this method is working - i followed the existing german tutorial from the german forum androidpit.de.

Last edited:

domagoj91

May 26, 2012
Please give more details of your tablet and which operative system you haave.

Okay I have Coby Kyros MID1126 with JB 4.1.1.

I tried to follow this tutorial but I keep getting msg when starting Rom Manager that my device is not rooted. So the rooting process was unsuccessful :/ also ES manager cant get root permissions. And yeah I am talking about this german tutorial :D

Last edited:

domagoj91

May 26, 2012
Ok I managed to fix it by flashing with fresh 4.1.1. rom and repeating this tutorial now i have working JB with Gapps :D

apolake

Jun 26, 2012
hi,
i was able to use this tutorial to install CWM, SU and Android Market on my wife coby 1126 (gingerbread) i was surprise it worked! thank you. does any one have a ICS or JB flashable through CWM they want to share?

thanks

alkmie

Oct 19, 2012
hi,
i was able to use this tutorial to install CWM, SU and Android Market on my wife coby 1126 (gingerbread) i was surprise it worked! thank you. does any one have a ICS or JB flashable through CWM they want to share?

thanks

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2/46361-help-dead-kyros-mid-1126-a.html

check essjay last post with link for files

also note that when you upgrade to jb you need a serial number (you might have to google this) but if i remeber right the instuction are in the JB pack
the instruction say to change the last 3 digits but all these numbers seem to be registered so change the last 4 digits to something like this
1xxx this worked for me only 1 seems to work for the first 4th digit all 0xxx's seem to have been registered hope that helps

also it would be cool since you have gingerbread still to do a stock back off all the images becuase no one has them for 1126 the 1125 doesn't work
but dont worry about cuz I got JB backed up and honestly JB is way better then gingerbread but you never know when you (or someone else) might need a stock gingerbread (hopfully never)

Last edited:

apolake

Jun 26, 2012
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2/46361-help-dead-kyros-mid-1126-a.html

check essjay last post with link for files

also note that when you upgrade to jb you need a serial number (you might have to google this) but if i remeber right the instuction are in the JB pack
the instruction say to change the last 3 digits but all these numbers seem to be registered so change the last 4 digits to something like this
1xxx this worked for me only 1 seems to work for the first 4th digit all 0xxx's seem to have been registered hope that helps

also it would be cool since you have gingerbread still to do a stock back off all the images becuase no one has them for 1126 the 1125 doesn't work
but dont worry about cuz I got JB backed up and honestly JB is way better then gingerbread but you never know when you (or someone else) might need a stock gingerbread (hopfully never)

thanks for the reply, upon upgrading to JB, do you still get the license update check? on my kyros 7022/JB i get the check all the time, and it gets annoying. anyways,
attached is dropbox link for 1126 GB CWM backup.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wp8zumgjctttkjl/alLCR-b3w8

perfect! got JB installed and it seem that i got the serial # correct since i got a minor update. and i have not seen the check since than. thank you for directing me to the website:)

Last edited:

VincentD

Dec 6, 2012
My device does not reboot after installing update.zip. I choose to install it but nothing happens after that at all. I can't proceed from here.

Last edited:

apolake

Jun 26, 2012
My device does not reboot after installing update.zip. I choose to install it but nothing happens after that at all. I can't proceed from here.

After step 3 it did not reboot?
As for what i did, i only performed step 1-3 upon reboot i turned off tablet and press on button while holding the silver circle button. occasionally it wont go to CWM. So, i would have to press reset while holding the silver circle button.