(How To) Root the Nook Tablet

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Both versions of the Nook Tablet (8GB and 16GB) are now rootable. This thread is for Rooting the Nook Tablets.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
[Reserved for installation instructions]

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
I was told that my Nook tablet cannot be rooted, when sold at first they could, then BN got wise to it and made it impossible. Isn't that true? Or did I misunderstand?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Most of the time rooting can be a game of cat and mouse. Initially the Nook Tablet could not be rooted and was more locked down than the Nook Color had been. Developers eventually were able to get around the road blocks. If you are using rooted B&N OS it may be possible to lose root when they issue updates. There are ways to prevent this and there are also custom ROMs and bootable ROMs where B&N OS update will have no effect.

It is possible to both root and use custom ROMs on the Nook Tablet.

Fairhope

Aug 8, 2012
OK, thanks. As you can tell I am a newbie to all of this rooting stuff. In another thread I saw where someone recommended a "Nook NR" card. Went to Amazon to check it out, but still don't know enough on how to use it to make Nook an android. I'm just looking for the simple way to get it to be an android. Any input?

DerMorder

Dec 7, 2012
J515OP Can you point me to the right threads for the information I am looking for?

1. I have a Nook that I bought at a flea market vendor.
He showed me that it worked properly and so forth but told me if I bought it he would need to factory reset it and wipe his data.
I bought the nook for 150.00 because I thought they were going for about 200.00 and he reset the Nook to factory.

2. I signed up for a B&N account and even created a new Gmail account and attempted to register it.
It told me that it could not register it and to contact support.
I tried to register it several times still no luck.
So I found a thread somewhere that demonstrated how to by-pass the OOBE.
I did so and was able to use the nook on the internet and what factory default apps and games that are on it.

3. After doing some more research I realized that I would like to root this nook.
Here is the information I have on the nook.
software version 1.4.2
Model Number BNTV250A
Serial number begins with 202093

4. Where do I go to get the percise information on rooting this nook and putting the best android OS I can currently put on it?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum and congrats. Here is hot to root [Blocks OTA's!] Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Permanent root!] - xda-developers. You can also replace the B&N OS with a custom ROM to get a true Android experience Nook Tablet 1.4.3 complete root guide for 8or16gb to GB and JB - xda-developers (rooting not necessary before installing a custom ROM). And if yu want to leave the internal memory stock, or rooted stock you can even run a custom ROM from a bootable SD card N2A Cards Nook2Android | Upgrade your Nook Tablet or Nook Color to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean | N2A cards.

JP

stubbus

Dec 18, 2012
Hey all,

I'm working to root a brand new nook tablet, purchased 11/26/12, and I'm having a lot of difficulty. Here's the story, I have an older nook tablet (one of the first ones) and was able to root that and install CM7 just fine yesterday. But with the new nook tablet I can't get it to recognize any SD Cards that I have formatted to load it into recovery. I have tried with the several different ways to boot into recovery but haven't been able to and don't know how I can load any of the necessary software if I'm unable to boot into recovery.

I completed a factory wipe with an SD Card formatted to reset it back to 1.4.2 and then upgraded back to 1.4.3 before trying to load into recovery just in case there was something going on but that still didn't work.

The exact same process worked with my older nook tablet so I'm lost. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

MR

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi MR, welcome to the forum. Some Nook Tablets can only boot into recovery from the USB cable, even a bootable SD card. You need to power down, insert the bootable card and then with the usb charging cable either plugged into the PC or the charger connect the Nook Tablet. It should power on and boot into recovery from the SD card. If it doesn't automatically turn on when plugged in, you can press the power button and it should boot to recovery.

JP