[HOW TO] Rooting your ZT280 C91

criver

Oct 20, 2011
Hi!
I tried rooting my tablet(zt c91) recently, but I couldn't manage (z4root didn't do anything for me for me, here's my post - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/zenithink-tablets/30948-rooting-c91-tablet.html). Also, I hadn't found any way on this forum to root a Zenithink C91. However, while searching for which android 4 ROM I should install on my tablet - the xxx2n or xxx3n, because the model number on my tablet doesn't contain such a thing, so I just wrote the Model number in Google - I found only 1 site - TabletteDroid.com Le Forum ! • Afficher le sujet - SD Card bloquée en écriture. I guess I was even more lucky for knowing a little French, so I just looked around their site - it prooved to be a golden mine for Zenithink related matters.Here's how you root a Zenithink C91 (it worked like magic for me, yay!); all credits for this should go to the original poster, not me (I'll just translate it, so be sure to visit their site and drop them a line of gratitude):TabletteDroid.com Le Forum ! • Afficher le sujet - ROM OFFICIELLES COMMENT LES "ROOTER"

Method for rooting the 2.3.4 version (Attention!:doesn't work for ICS)

BY THE WAY, THIS SHOULD BE APPLIED TO OFFICIAL ROMs only (the topic name was: Official ROMs - how to "Root" them)

ATTENTION:
There are risks involved in the flashing of your device (in this case rooting).
If you do something wrong, or use a corrupted(badly-decompressed) ROM (no idea what they mean by badly-decompressed - guessed it should be corrupted) or if your tablet shutdowns during the flashing (rooting) due to lack of energy, etc. (there are a lot of things that could happen) that could lead to the "death" (I mean it may not work anymore) of your tablet. Nor the forum (
http://forum.tablettedroid.com; I'd add also http://www.androidtablets.net) , nor the person who wrote this (cake1974;nor me, I'd add) will be taken responsible for any damage caused to your tablet by flashing it (rooting it).
There are two stages:

1)Connecting your tablet to your PC (I'm sorry but I won't translate this - there's plenty of information in English on how to connect your tablet to your PC) - BY THE WAY TAKE CARE TO CONNECT YOUR TABLET TO YOUR PC PROPERLY (so you won't f*ck up your tablet). THE FACT THAT I DIDN'T TRANSLATE THIS DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD JUST OVERLOOK IT - IF YOU DON"T KNOW HOW, THEN SEARCH IN THE FORUM.

2)Rooting your tablet
1.Download SuperOneClick v2.1.1 - [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers2.Unzip the zip file
3.Install (I didn't do any installing though) and launch SuperOneClick v2.1.1
4.Look in the upper-right corner - there's Exploit written - change Auto to Psneuter.
5.Click on the Root button. After a few seconds there should be an error message for Android 2.3.3 (there wasn't in my case). Continue (I guess it's click continue on the error message) and that's it.

Method for Rooting (it's flashing in this case, but the ROM gives a rooted version) the ICS version (beware - with this root come some bugs - like the red rectangle thingy
and some other things - you'll know what I'm talking about if you root it - so I don't really recommend it, if you don't need it really - I rooted mine cause I really needed it for Titanium Backup - to freeze DRM Protected Content Storage):

ATTENTION THIS IS TESTED ONLY ON C91 xxx2n MODEL - it shouldn't work really well on the xxx3n - so I highly recommend not to try it if you have a xxx3n model

ATTENTION :
There are risks involved in the flashing of your device.
If you do something wrong, or use a corrupted(badly-decompressed) ROM (no idea what they mean by badly-decompressed - guessed it should be corrupted) or if your tablet shutdowns during the flashing due to lack of energy, etc. (there are a lot of things that could happen) that could lead to the "death" (I mean it may not work anymore) of your tablet. Nor the forum (
http://forum.tablettedroid.com; I'd add alsohttp://www.androidtablets.net) , nor the person who wrote this (stef1768;nor me, I'd add) will be taken responsible for any damage caused to your tablet by flashing it.

This time credits go to stef1768 -
TabletteDroid.com Le Forum ! • Afficher le sujet - ROM OFFICIELLES COMMENT LES "ROOTER"
1.You download this (it's the rooted ICS version):
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
2.You unzip it somewhere - unzip/unrar should create a folder for it - "zt-update"
3.You change the system.zt280.tar to system.zt280.tar.bz (if Windows doesn't show the .tar then follow this guide -
How to Change a File Extension in Windows to rename the file) - it is really important that the file is named properly as system.zt280.tar.bz - the first time I couldn't change the extension - Windows only showed me system.zt280, so I just added .tar.bz, but that really did make the file system.zt280.tar.tar.bz - if you just add .bz - it would be system.zt280.bz.tar - so just follow the instructions here - How to Change a File Extension in Windows and make sure that your file is named properly as system.zt280.tar.bz - IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO, YOU"LL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME THE FIRST TIME - YOUR TABLET JUST WON"T LOAD AFTER THE ANDROID LOGO - OR MAYBE EVEN WORSE IT WON'T WORK AT ALL!
4.Check that you SD card is formatted to FAT32
5.You copy the zt-update folder to the root of your microSD card (this means directly onto it - not in some other folder)
7.You turn off your tablet and start charging it
8.After you turn on your tablet you press the camera key (you know when there's the ZEPAD logo and there's a text saying something like - press camara key to...)
9.Now you should have a rooted ICS version with some bugs on your tablet.

Now fo the xxx3n version:

Try doing this (should work - there was one person in the French forum who tested it and said it worked fine):

You do everything as for the xxx2n version - just after step 3 you change the files zt280.kernel and zt280.recovery (in the zt-update folder made from the WinZip/WinRar) with the ones from the official ICS xxx3n version (the zt280.kernel and zt280.recovery for xxx3n).
After that do everything like for the xxx2n version from step 4.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

P.S. I'd really appreciate it, if the moderators/admins could create a new section for Zenithink C91 - I don't think it deserves less attention than the ZT180 - what's more, now it even runs ICS. And also it'd be great if you could make this post Sticky (in the zenithink c91 section - if there's gonna be such a section).

Last edited:

guitarman

Jan 6, 2012
Can you tell me what advantages rooting my tablet will give me? I just installed the 4.0 ICS rom from Zenithink xx2nxxx version like you did, and it's running good so far. What extras can i expect after rooting?

criver

Oct 20, 2011
Don't try to root the ICS with this method - it is for Android version 2.3.4. I'll write a method to root the ICS in a few minutes. For the advantages - here's a really nice wiki: HomePage .
Wrote it - look what model you have (xxx2n or xxx3n) and you could try it - but I don't recommend the rooted version (though apart from bugs it has also its good sides).

Last edited:

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
Hi,
First time poster here.Quick question-how do I know which model I have i.e xxx2n or xxx3n?I cant seem to find a barcode on my zt280 c91,anybody advise me were I should be looking?Thanks

criver

Oct 20, 2011
I too didn't have such a xxx2n or xxx3n in my model number, but I went to the internal storage of my C91 (with the file explorer) and there was a text file that included in its name 2n (this file's actually part of the ROM which was flashed on my tablet), so I guessed my tablet is 2n(and I guessed right - I installed the ICS xxx2n version and everything works fine). If you can't find such a file you could try both versions and see which works - but if you install the wrong version you could have some problems - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/zenithink-tablets/30959-zt-280-c91-owners.html

toby2111

Jan 9, 2012
but I went to the internal storage of my C91 (with the file explorer) and there was a text file that included in its name 2n (this file's actually part of the ROM which was flashed on my tablet)
How exactly do I access the internal storage(with file explorer) of the C91?I dont want to download wrong version as I'm not very tech minded!Thanks

criver

Oct 20, 2011
By "internal storage" I meant the NAND flash - start FileBrowser -> Internal Memory -> here you might have a text file with a name containing either 2n or 3n (when I had Gingerbread I had such a file there - it isn't necessary that you have it hough...).

edtham70

Feb 6, 2012
Hi!
I tried rooting my tablet(zt c91) recently, but I couldn't manage (z4root didn't do anything for me for me, here's my post - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/zenithink-tablets/30948-rooting-c91-tablet.html). Also, I hadn't found any way on this forum to root a Zenithink C91. However, while searching for which android 4 ROM I should install on my tablet - the xxx2n or xxx3n, because the model number on my tablet doesn't contain such a thing, so I just wrote the Model number in Google - I found only 1 site - TabletteDroid.com Le Forum ! • Afficher le sujet - SD Card bloquée en écriture. I guess I was even more lucky for knowing a little French, so I just looked around their site - it prooved to be a golden mine for Zenithink related matters.Here's how you root a Zenithink C91 (it worked like magic for me, yay!); all credits for this should go to the original poster, not me (I'll just translate it, so be sure to visit their site and drop them a line of gratitude):TabletteDroid.com Le Forum ! • Afficher le sujet - ROM OFFICIELLES COMMENT LES "ROOTER"

Method for rooting the 2.3.4 version (Attention!:doesn't work for ICS)

BY THE WAY, THIS SHOULD BE APPLIED TO OFFICIAL ROMs only (the topic name was: Official ROMs - how to "Root" them)

ATTENTION:
There are risks involved in the flashing of your device (in this case rooting).
If you do something wrong, or use a corrupted(badly-decompressed) ROM (no idea what they mean by badly-decompressed - guessed it should be corrupted) or if your tablet shutdowns during the flashing (rooting) due to lack of energy, etc. (there are a lot of things that could happen) that could lead to the "death" (I mean it may not work anymore) of your tablet. Nor the forum (
http://forum.tablettedroid.com; I'd add also http://www.androidtablets.net) , nor the person who wrote this (cake1974;nor me, I'd add) will be taken responsible for any damage caused to your tablet by flashing it (rooting it).
There are two stages:

1)Connecting your tablet to your PC (I'm sorry but I won't translate this - there's plenty of information in English on how to connect your tablet to your PC) - BY THE WAY TAKE CARE TO CONNECT YOUR TABLET TO YOUR PC PROPERLY (so you won't f*ck up your tablet). THE FACT THAT I DIDN'T TRANSLATE THIS DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD JUST OVERLOOK IT - IF YOU DON"T KNOW HOW, THEN SEARCH IN THE FORUM.

2)Rooting your tablet
1.Download SuperOneClick v2.1.1 - [APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers2.Unzip the zip file
3.Install (I didn't do any installing though) and launch SuperOneClick v2.1.1
4.Look in the upper-right corner - there's Exploit written - change Auto to Psneuter.
5.Click on the Root button. After a few seconds there should be an error message for Android 2.3.3 (there wasn't in my case). Continue (I guess it's click continue on the error message) and that's it.

Method for Rooting (it's flashing in this case, but the ROM gives a rooted version) the ICS version (beware - with this root come some bugs - like the red rectangle thingy
and some other things - you'll know what I'm talking about if you root it - so I don't really recommend it, if you don't need it really - I rooted mine cause I really needed it for Titanium Backup - to freeze DRM Protected Content Storage):

ATTENTION THIS IS TESTED ONLY ON C91 xxx2n MODEL - it shouldn't work really well on the xxx3n - so I highly recommend not to try it if you have a xxx3n model

ATTENTION :
There are risks involved in the flashing of your device.
If you do something wrong, or use a corrupted(badly-decompressed) ROM (no idea what they mean by badly-decompressed - guessed it should be corrupted) or if your tablet shutdowns during the flashing due to lack of energy, etc. (there are a lot of things that could happen) that could lead to the "death" (I mean it may not work anymore) of your tablet. Nor the forum (
http://forum.tablettedroid.com; I'd add alsohttp://www.androidtablets.net) , nor the person who wrote this (stef1768;nor me, I'd add) will be taken responsible for any damage caused to your tablet by flashing it.

This time credits go to stef1768 -
TabletteDroid.com Le Forum ! • Afficher le sujet - ROM OFFICIELLES COMMENT LES "ROOTER"
1.You download this (it's the rooted ICS version):
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
2.You unzip it somewhere - unzip/unrar should create a folder for it - "zt-update"
3.You change the system.zt280.tar to system.zt280.tar.bz (if Windows doesn't show the .tar then follow this guide -
How to Change a File Extension in Windows to rename the file) - it is really important that the file is named properly as system.zt280.tar.bz - the first time I couldn't change the extension - Windows only showed me system.zt280, so I just added .tar.bz, but that really did make the file system.zt280.tar.tar.bz - if you just add .bz - it would be system.zt280.bz.tar - so just follow the instructions here - How to Change a File Extension in Windows and make sure that your file is named properly as system.zt280.tar.bz - IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO, YOU"LL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME THE FIRST TIME - YOUR TABLET JUST WON"T LOAD AFTER THE ANDROID LOGO - OR MAYBE EVEN WORSE IT WON'T WORK AT ALL!
4.Check that you SD card is formatted to FAT32
5.You copy the zt-update folder to the root of your microSD card (this means directly onto it - not in some other folder)
7.You turn off your tablet and start charging it
8.After you turn on your tablet you press the camera key (you know when there's the ZEPAD logo and there's a text saying something like - press camara key to...)
9.Now you should have a rooted ICS version with some bugs on your tablet.

Now fo the xxx3n version:

Try doing this (should work - there was one person in the French forum who tested it and said it worked fine):

You do everything as for the xxx2n version - just after step 3 you change the files zt280.kernel and zt280.recovery (in the zt-update folder made from the WinZip/WinRar) with the ones from the official ICS xxx3n version (the zt280.kernel and zt280.recovery for xxx3n).
After that do everything like for the xxx2n version from step 4.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

P.S. I'd really appreciate it, if the moderators/admins could create a new section for Zenithink C91 - I don't think it deserves less attention than the ZT180 - what's more, now it even runs ICS. And also it'd be great if you could make this post Sticky (in the zenithink c91 section - if there's gonna be such a section).

HI, i have a problem to do upgrading my zt 280 c91. do i must root my tablet before update? Thank you.

criver

Oct 20, 2011
No you don't have to root it before upgrading - just upgrade it (flash it - I have a similar topic on flashing - try searching for it).

Overflow

May 16, 2012
@ criver and all other,

excuse my bad English.

I have a Zenithink C91 Upgarde with ICs.

I have read a lot here, but am thereby to have unnerved (something so I have understood!).

Is the C91 Upgarde with Android 4 / ICS to root?

And if so, how?

Greeting

Mikel