How to Transfer to Micro SD

jsohio

Mar 31, 2012
Got the LePan ii and realize it has an 8gb sd inside. I also installed a 32gb sandisk in the unit. In settings, storage I see sdcard2 with 29.71gb of storage space. But, whenever I want to transfer apps etc to the sd card from the settings-applications it says to transfer to sd card (and transfers to the 8gb card). Nothing ever goes to the second card. Is there a trick to getting the Le Pan II to not only recognize the second card but be able to use it.

Thanks

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
The trick is it can't be done unfortunately. The 8 gig internal memory is called "sdcard" your extrenal 32 gig card is "sdcard2" The 8 gigs of internal memory is partitioned with a section reserved for apps and a section reserved for user storage. moving apps to sd only moves them to the user storage area and not the external card. Seems dumb but that is how it is.

You can back up apps and move files to sdcard2. esfile explorer works well for this.

Last edited:

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
been discussing this issue all day at lepanlife.com still trying to figure out a way to do it. on the LP1 it works just fine. the problem seems to with honeycomb and internal storage older versions of android called the exterbal card sdcard. honeycomb uses that name for lnternal storage and calls the external card sdcard2. whos lame brain idea was that I would like to know?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
been discussing this issue all day at lepanlife.com still trying to figure out a way to do it. on the LP1 it works just fine. the problem seems to with honeycomb and internal storage older versions of android called the exterbal card sdcard. honeycomb uses that name for lnternal storage and calls the external card sdcard2. whos lame brain idea was that I would like to know?

Google's idea actually. They want manufactures to put a decent amount of storage on board. They nipped a trend of the manufactures in the bud to put only enough internal memory for the OS and then leave it up to the user to by an SD card for any more storage. If the manufactures weren't trying to cheap out and leave no internal memory for apps Google wouldn't have had to respond this way.

You may ask why it isn't reasonable to let the manufacturers choose to do what they want and let the user get the extra memory if they choose that tablet. Well good question. The problem is that litterally they weren't leaving enough memory on the devices to run a single app with out then having to buy external memory. Imagine how bad it looks when people buy an Android device and can't run a single app. Google gets the blame not the device manufacturer. All that being said the manufacture can by pass this and allow use of the SD card. Le Pan just chose not to make this modification to the OS.

Last edited:

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
so is there any way around this. The Le Pan2 has 8 gigs of internal storage which seems like a reasonable amount but there is actualy only 5.42 gigs available for user storage.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
so is there any way around this. The Le Pan2 has 8 gigs of internal storage which seems like a reasonable amount but there is actualy only 5.42 gigs available for user storage.

Yes, so the ~3GB missing is what is used by the OS the remainder should be able to be used. The problem is you need to have root access then you can change the mount points via adb to make the OS see the external SD card as usable. I din't think any manufacturers were implementing this change but Vizio recently updated their software to Honeycomb and made the change built in through an option in settings. Not sure what other companies might be doing this but most are not.

It doesn't sound like Le Pan is the most responsive when it comes to software updates but if enough users ask them about it, maybe they will make it an option in a future update.

LePan_Fan

Jan 12, 2012
Is the 8gb a micro sd card too? Is it removable? If so can the information from the 8gb be transferred to the 32gb and replace the 8 with the 32?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Is the 8gb a micro sd card too? Is it removable? If so can the information from the 8gb be transferred to the 32gb and replace the 8 with the 32?

No, you can't replace the internal memory with an SD card.

LePan_Fan

Jan 12, 2012
Got the LePan ii and realize it has an 8gb sd inside. I also installed a 32gb sandisk in the unit. In settings, storage I see sdcard2 with 29.71gb of storage space. But, whenever I want to transfer apps etc to the sd card from the settings-applications it says to transfer to sd card (and transfers to the 8gb card). Nothing ever goes to the second card. Is there a trick to getting the Le Pan II to not only recognize the second card but be able to use it.

Thanks

So basically I wasted my money in buying a 32gb micro SD card? If you can't add external memory to the LePan II why did they even bother adding the slot?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You should be able to put everything but apps on it. So songs, movies, documents, pictures, pretty much the things that take up the most space.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
you can use it to store your pictures, videos, movies, backups and other data. i wrote a storage management guide on lepanlife.com i'd post a link but i can't seem to figure out how to do tht here from my tablet.

Last edited:

LePan_Fan

Jan 12, 2012
You should be able to put everything but apps on it. So songs, movies, documents, pictures, pretty much the things that take up the most space.

So how do you get the device to recognize it? I tried manually moving them with Windows Explorer while hooked up to my pc and it won't allow me to put anything on it. I tried doing it this way after trying to do it on the LePan II itself and giving up in frustration.....they definitely didn't make it easy to do.

LePandroid

Jan 18, 2012
Use the File Manager app that comes preinstalled.
Locate the file that you want to move, Touch and hold it to cut or copy if you want to keep it in both places.
Then goto where you want to paste it... this being sdcard2 you will see it in the sdcard directory.
Once you are in the sdcard2 you can paste the file there.
I tested it with the nature video that came loaded on the tablet and it worked fine.
Now when I open the Gallery app it shows the sdcard2 with the video there. :

naneb

Feb 26, 2012
I moved files to sd2 using Windows file manager. I just dragged and dropped files fro. One card to another. I also moved files from my computer to my le pan this same way.