[HowTo] Access G-Tablet Internal Storage via WiFi

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Here is how to access your Viewsonic G-Tablet via WiFi from your PC.

Thanks to avi for introducing this app in the Nook section.

How to Install

1. Download Samba Filesharing apk from here.
  2. Connect your G-Tablet to your PC via a USB cable.
  3. Activate USB Transfer on your tablet.
  4. Create, if you don't already have, an APK folder. (This is where I store all my APKs on my device)
  5. Copy the Samba APK you downloaded to your tablet's APK folder.
  6. Once the transfer is complete. Deactivate USB Transfer on your device.
  7. Open your favorite File Explorer app. (ES File Explorer is my favorite)
  8. Tap on the APK folder.
  9. Tap on the Samba Filesharing on Android 110109.apk
  10. Tap Install.
  11. Once complete hit done and tap the home button.

How to Setup Samba

This section will show you how to setup Samba correctly.

1. Launch Samba Filesharing.
  2. Tap the menu button. You should see 4 options appear at the bottom of your screen.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Password and enter a password.
  5. Tap Username and change or leave default as SDCARD.
  6. Tap NETBIOS Name and give it a unique name. (I used GTAB)
  7. Tap the back button.
  8. Tap the menu button and select Enable.
  9. Samba is now setup to be accessed from your PC.

How to Setup PC Connection

Now I will show you how to setup the connection on your PC

1. Right click on your desktop and select New > Shortcut.
  2. Where it says "Type the location of the item" type in \\GTAB (or whatever you set the NETBIOS name to) and hit Next.
  3. Set the name to what ever you want it to be (Mine is set as GTAB) and hit Finish.
  4. Double click on the shortcut.
  5. You will be prompted for your Username and Password you set in the Samba Settings.
  6. Check the "Remember Password" box so you never have to enter this again.
  7. Double click on the SDCARD folder and enjoy.
Using Samba you have access to the INTERNAL sdcard of your G-Tablet. It is setup so that sdcard is your Internal storage and sdcard2 is your MicroSD card. You will be saving these things to the INTERNAL storage of the device. Not the physical MicroSD card you put in it.

Hope this helps.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Yes because you have to give the app SuperUser access.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
How will this work with the custom Gingerbread ROMS?

Yes it will. BUT this actually access w/e is mounted as /SDCARD. So in a 2.3 ROM the MicroSD card is mounted as /SDCARD and the internal storage is mounted as /EMMC. I'll add this to the top.

Triune

Nov 29, 2010
Thank you! This will allow me to regain access to the internal card without USB - seem to be problematic with the Gingerbread ROMs out there.

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
Dont have a Gtab, On my elocity A7 i use wifi file exlplorer, when wifi file explorer open i can access it through internet explorer and download or upload to any folder on sd card..
$wifi file.jpg

Triune

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks tumpy - wifi access worked as well though having same issue as with original, with the Gingerbread ROMS, and the renaming of the cards, this only pulls up the external card (SDCARD) and not the internal card (EMMC). Hoping Fuganator can make a mod as he noted earlier. These guys are awesome with their help and time.

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
OK here is my problem... I installed the CM 7 rom on my Gtab. all is great then I run accross this really nice new rom and all that I wouldlike to try, Getting Brave in the flashin department. Anyway I went to connect my PC topo the tab and low and beholf NO such luck. Can not see internal sd card. trried several ways og getting this new vegan GB rom out. Not only can I not see the internal card from the USB but can not see it via wifi using samba either. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
OK here is my problem... I installed the CM 7 rom on my Gtab. all is great then I run accross this really nice new rom and all that I wouldlike to try, Getting Brave in the flashin department. Anyway I went to connect my PC topo the tab and low and beholf NO such luck. Can not see internal sd card. trried several ways og getting this new vegan GB rom out. Not only can I not see the internal card from the USB but can not see it via wifi using samba either. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated

Firstly GB ROMs lable the External SDcard as SDCARD and the Internal SDcard as EMMC. What are you doing to see the internal storage via the USB Cable? Do you have the driver installed? Please wite it a little bit clearer so I can fully understand your issue.

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Firstly GB ROMs lable the External SDcard as SDCARD and the Internal SDcard as EMMC. What are you doing to see the internal storage via the USB Cable? Do you have the driver installed? Please wite it a little bit clearer so I can fully understand your issue.

Sorry, It was the end of a very long day and the noodle had turned to mush earlier...

When I plug into the Gtab my PC (Win 7) acknowledges the USB connection. Displays a NVIDIA Integra 2 USB device under disk drives, Explorer shows no additional drives. On the Tab is asks to ok USB connection to explore drives (OK). Windows indicates that drivers are upto date. (I can see the external SD and interact with it just not the intemrnal. Ext SD removed so that I can eliminate that when trying to start update.) I can use either use either ES file explorer or Astro to explore all sd's but can not move/copy file between external and internal SD's Not sure at this point where to go since I can not get files to the internal SD I am not sure other than trying to use Once Click to go back to ground zero and do a hard reflash back to stock. I belive I can do that much since the PC and Tab basically see each other. I would like to update to the "Most popule ROM Ever for the Gtab" but am perplexed that I can no longer access the internal SD to swap roms etc. PLease any suggestons would be greatly appreciated