[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
This is a step by step guide to install ClockworkMod v08, a custom ROM, Flash Player and how to fix the Android Market.

If you do not know what base ROM your tablet is please read here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...17816-bootloader-1-1-vs-1-2-a.html#post105317

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THE FOLLOWING STEPS. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR DEVICE.

Objective 1:

Install ClockworkMod V08

1. Download ClockworkMod V08 from here. You will see two different versions. Internal and MicroSD. Both work just the same.
2. Unzip the file you downloaded (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder of the internal storage or your MicroSD card.
3. Turn off your device.
4. Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Viewsonic splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.
5. Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below…

Entering ClockworkMod:

1. If you want to get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod).

How to navigate ClockworkMod:

1. The Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects whatever you have highlighted , and the back button backs up one level.

Objective 2:

Install a ROM

For this section I will use TnT G-Harmony v1.2. You can change the steps according to the ROM you decided to install. You can find a list of current ROMs here.

1. Clean your MicroSD card or delete the update.zip in the internal storage from Objective 1.
2. Create a folder called ROMs on your internal storage.
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created. (Do NOT unzip the file. CWR uses .zip files. If your file has an update.zip in the original zip file (ie. tnt lite 4.20has an update.zip inside of the gtab_tnt_lite_4.20, rename it to romname.zip or something for easy identification.)
4. Power off your device.
5. Boot into ClockworkMod.
1. Press the power button and the + button at the same time until you see "Detect a recovery key pressed”. Release the buttons and your device will boot into CWR after a few seconds.
6. Backup your device
1. Go to "backup and restore"
2. Highlight "backup" and press the home button. (This will take a few minutes depending on your data)
3. You will now be able to go back to the stock ROM if you mess up the rooting process.
7. Go to "mounts and storage"
8. Highlight "mount/system" and press the home button. It should now say "unmount/system"
9. Do the same for "mount/data". Will say "unmount/data" if done correctly.
10. Press the back arrow to return to the main menu.
11. Flash the ROM
1. Highlight "install zip from sdcard" and press the home button.
2. Highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the home button.
3. Highlight "ROMs" and press the home button.
4. Highlight "G_Harmonyv1.2.zip" or "yourrom.zip" and hit the home button.
5. Highlight "Yes - Install yourrom.zip" and hit the home button.
6. Once the process is complete you should see something like "Install zip from sdcard complete" at the bottom of the screen.
7. Press the back arrow until you return to the main menu.
12. Highlight "mounts and storage" and press the home button.
1. Make sure /data and /system both say "unmount". If not, mount them the same way as steps 8 and 9.
2. Press the back arrow to return to the main menu.
13. Highlight "wipe data/factory reset" and press the home button.
14. Highlight "Yes – delete all user data" and press the home button. (You MUST do this for the ROM to run correctly. If you do not, it may cause a boot loop.)
15. Highlight "reboot system now" and press the home button. (Be patient for the first boot up. It can take anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes)

Objective 3:

Initial Setup

1. Hit "Accept" at the End User License Agreement screen.
2. Select your Timezone, Date and Time. Then hit "Next"
3. If you have a wireless network, select it and type in the security code. Then hit "Next"
4. At the User Profiles screen type in your name or w/e you want it to be. Then hit "Done" (I do not think this step really matters)
5. You will then be given the a choice between the default Launcher and ADW Launcher. (Pick your poison)

You have just successfully installed TnT G-Harmony v1.2 or whichever other ROM you decided to install. Next we will install Flash Player and then Fix the Android Market.

Objective 4:

Install Flash Player

1. Download “Adobe Flash Player 10.1.120.1.apk” from here.
2. Save it to your device under a folder called APKs. (This makes it easier to manage your data)
3. Open the file explorer that comes preloaded with your ROM and browse to the APKs folder.
4. Tap on the .apk and select "Install". This will only take a few seconds.

You now have working Adobe Flash Player on your device.

Objective 5:

Fix the Android Market

1. Launch the Market app. Once it loads close it. (Just tap the Home button)
2. Go into Settings - Applications - System Applications - Market and select "Clear Cache" then "Force Stop". (May be different for different ROMs)
3. Press back once, find "Google Services Framework" and select "Clear DATA" then "Force Stop".
4. Go back to your home screen and launch the Market App again. If you did steps 1-3 correctly you should get an error. If not, redo steps 1-3.
5. Reboot your device. Launch the Market App again.
6. Close the Market App and reboot your device again.
7. Open the market again and do your happy dance. (I've only tried this on 3 ROMs but I have read it works on every ROM)

If I have missed anything please let me know. Cheers.

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Objective 6:

Perform 2nd Market Fix

First we have to make the /system r/w
1. Download Android Terminal Emulator.
2. Launch the Terminal Emulator.
3. Type the following commands.
a. su (Superuser will pop up. You will need to hit Allow so you can have SuperUser access)
b. mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
c. chmod 777 /system
4. Now reboot your device.
5. You should now be able to edit the /system directory. You can now proceed with the market fix.

Be EXTREMELY careful in doing this. You can cause great damage to your devices OS.

1. Open your favorite File Explorer. (Astra, ES, etc)
2. Navigate to /system/build.prop
3. Long press on build.prop and select Open As > Text
4. Edit the line ro.product.device=ANYTHING to read ro.product.device=olympus (ANYTHING will be the name of your ROM)
5. Hit the back button and Save your changes.
6. Open the Market and enjoy all the new apps. You should see all the HD apps now.

This fix fools the Market into thinking you are using a Motorola Atrix 4G and gives you access to the Tegra 2 apps.

Optional Additions

Flash Player 10.2
Thanks to Swould333 for providing the information needed to make this possible.

1. Download "Adobe Flash Player 10.2" from here.
  2. Save it to your device under a folder called APKs. (This makes it easier to manage your data)
  3. Open the file explorer that comes preloaded with your ROM and browse to the APKs folder.
  4. Tap on the .apk and select "Install". This will only take a few seconds.
You should now see Adobe Flash Player 10.2 under Settings > Applications > System Applications. (TnT Harmony v1.2)

More to come.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Excellent compilation Fuga! Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using the Android Tablet app!

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Very clear and concise.
Will try on a second tablet that I expect next week.
Thanks

patricks

Mar 23, 2011
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created.

For this step, do I need to unzip the file first (like in objective 1, or do we just copy the whole file still zipped? I'm also considering TnT lite which is a .rar file.....do I need to do anything fancy for that?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
3. Copy the gharmony.zip/yourrom.zip to the ROMs folder you just created.

For this step, do I need to unzip the file first (like in objective 1, or do we just copy the whole file still zipped? I'm also considering TnT lite which is a .rar file.....do I need to do anything fancy for that?

Nope. Do not unzip. CWR uses zip files. I'll add this to the writeup. Just create the ROMs folder and put your .zip file in there.

EDIT: Fix the HowTo to be more clear. Is it better for you?

Last edited:

patricks

Mar 23, 2011
Nope. Do not unzip. CWR uses zip files. I'll add this to the writeup. Just create the ROMs folder and put your .zip file in there.

EDIT: Fix the HowTo to be more clear. Is it better for you?

Great! Thanks for the update. Still not sure what to do with this .rar file. My xp machine says I need something to open it. If I'm reading you right, once I get the .rar open, there will be a .zip in it???? that seems like it is double compressed????

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Download winrar to open and use zip/rar files. Change the file extension to .zip That should work for you. (FYI I've only see these ROMs as .zips never a .rar. Just be aware of that)

patricks

Mar 23, 2011
Download winrar to open and use zip/rar files. Change the file extension to .zip That should work for you. (FYI I've only see these ROMs as .zips never a .rar. Just be aware of that)

Weird.... I can only find it as a .rar, even on xda.....just don't want to mess things up

Thanks again for all your help and the great tutorial.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Ah I see now. Inside that .rar there is a update.zip. Extract that .zip and name it TnT_Lite_4.20.zip and put that on your device. That is the file you need.

patricks

Mar 23, 2011
Fuganater, you rock!!!

I grabbed winrar and it worked. I renamed it just like you said (except I grabbed the 4.3 version from xda). It also creates a recovery folder. Should that get moved over to the ROMs file also?

Last edited:

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Fuganater, you rock!!!

I grabbed winrar and it worked. I renamed it just like you said (except I grabbed the 4.3 version from xda). It also creates a recovery folder. Should that get moved over to the ROMs file also?

You won't need it.