[HowTo] Upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 based ROMs

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
If you want to upgrade to the new 1.2 bootlader for 1.2 based ROMs please follow these steps.

I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THE FOLLOWING STEPS. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR DEVICE.

What you need to get started

1. CWM v0.8 installed on your device. If you do not already have this done, you can follow the steps in Objective 1 here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...om-rom-flash-player-market-fix.html#post64558
  2. Download the stock 3588 and 4349 images.
    1. You will need to rename the 3588 image to "stock3588update.zip" and the 4349 image to "update.zip"
  3. Calkulin's Format_all.zip
  4. Create a folder called "recovery". Inside that folder, create txt file called COMMAND. Open up COMMAND.txt and insert the following code:
    --update_package=SDCARD:/update.zip

The following steps will COMPLETELY wipe your device. Please ensure you have everything you want saved. I am not responsible if you lose data.

Partition the Internal Storage (SDCARD)

1. Turn off your tablet.
  2. Boot into CWM. (Hold power and the Vol+ Release the power button once you see "Detect a Recovery Key Pressed" at the top of the screen)
  3. Go to "advanced" (Hit the Home soft key to select)
  4. Select "Partition SD Card"
  5. Choose "2048M"
  6. Choose "0"
  7. Once complete hit the back soft key until you are at the main menu

Load Needed Files onto Your Tablet

First, connect your USB cable to your tablet and PC

1. Go to "mounts and storage"
  2. Select "mount USB Storage"
  3. On your PC, open My Computer and you should see your G-Tablet as a removable disk.
  4. Load Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip, stock3588update.zip, update.zip (this is the 4349 file) and the recover folder with the COMMAND file inside it. The 3 .zip files should NOT be in a folder. They should be visible next to the recovery folder.
  5. On your tablet, select "unmount" and return to the main menu.

Install the 4349 ROM

1. Go to "install zip from sdcard"
  2. Go to "choose zip from sdcard"
  3. Select "Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip"
  4. Once finished select "choose zip from sdcard"
  5. Select "stock3588update.zip"
  6. Once finished go to the top menu and power off your device by holding in the power button.
  7. Boot your tablet back into CWM and the 4349 ROM will begin to install automatically.
  8. Once complete your tablet should reboot into the new, fresh 4349 ROM.

You are now on the 4349 ROM which has the new 1.2 bootloader. You must use 1.2 based ROMs now. You can not flash 1.1 based ROMs unless you downgrade to the stock 3588 ROM.

If you have any issues or suggestions for this thread, please post them here. Cheers.

Last edited:

DnSinSC

Jun 29, 2011
I just followed this guide. I started with a stock, well working 3588 install. Followed each step exactly, with no errors that I could tell. Everything worked exactly as expected with no interruptions. At the last reboot CWM was gone and it installed the updated 1.2 automatically with just a green bar. When it completed and restarted it went to a black screen. Now I have a brick...

Holding the power button down just creates another black screen. It seems to turn on and off. Black screen / Off screen. That is all. Any ideas on how to cure this?

Thanks for the guide.

Edit: I managed to use nvflash as described here to recover from the black screen: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/171...-using-either-11-or-12-based-images-g-tablet/

Last edited:

pbbgso

Aug 24, 2010
Would any of this change if I was doing these steps after applying CM 7? The reason I ask is that it uses a folder called EMMC as the SDCARD folder. I'm thinking that I would have to at least change the command in the COMMAND file.

Androo

Feb 9, 2011
Everytime I try to reboot into recovery, I get the installation screen. Would I have to reinstall clockwork?

Edit: I just looked under my 'about tablet' and it says by Tap UI Version is 1.1, not 1.2. I followed all the instructions with no problem and I can't really redo the upgrade since when I try to reboot into clockwork it reinstalls.

Last edited:

mikee

May 29, 2011
That is probably because CM is finding that file and trying to install it automatically just reboot normally and take the file off the sdcard and it should be normal

Last edited:

Androo

Feb 9, 2011
Which files would that be exactly? I just tried removing everything but the COMMAND document and it still did it.

I just tried to reinstall CWM, I rebooted it by holding power and vol+ and it still auto installs something, and I have no idea what it's installing.

Edit: I just NVFlashed my ROM and retried this again, I still have 1.1-3588 when I look under my "About tablet"

Edit edit: Well, I finally got it to work. I just NVflashed it to 1.2 and everything is working fine now.

Last edited:

jlmartinjr

Aug 2, 2011
It appears that I have the same issue that Androo had, when I tried to reboot to CWM after the format step it appears that it is trying to do some sort of update then it reboots and then I end up back at tnt with bootloader of 1.1
How do I get to where I can get back to CWM or put the update.zip in the correct spot (incase I fudged that up) so that it does the update properly.

mikee

May 29, 2011
maybe take the command file out and also make sure both sd card and internal storage are free of any sort of recovery or update zip files

Rags

May 22, 2011
Okay, so I followed the OP as documented and as others have mentioned it resulted in me still running 1.1. I then followed krpan's suggestion and renamed command.txt to command in the Recovery folder. I then powered down and rebooted back into CWM. This time it picked up the update and I am now running 1.2-4349. Before I move on to applying a custom ROM should I redo everything from scratch as after the first attempt it booted into 1.1 and I created a profile (which is still there after the latest update). I don't want to run into issues later on if this could be a problem.

Thoughts?

Rags

May 22, 2011
Well, as usual, I plowed ahead figuring that I could always recover if anything went wrong. :)

Everything seemed to go fine but after loading Flashback 7.1 it was stuck at the Android 3.0 screen. No matter what I did I couldn't get past that screen on 7.1. I found a post by the developer and ended up having to NVFlash back to the stock 4349 image and some other steps then I was able to load 7.1 without any issues. I'll post more details on the Flashback thread but for those who are hesitant about going to 1.2 take it from me (Android noob) that if you read up and follow the documentation that it isn't that difficult and you can easily flip back to 1.1 later on if you want to!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Rags, good to hear things are working! And good advice...I'm a big advocate for nvflashing, and I appreciate your plug for it. :)

-Matt

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
First your tutorials are great! looking forward on getting my tab back on line. here is the scenario.

I was running (1.1) CM7 and everything was great. The after some market updates including market I could not getmarket to run anymore. figured this was time to try your illuminate rom. I followed the steps very closely to go from 1.1 to 1.2 boot loader:
Partition sdcard 2048/0
Calkulins Format all
Stock 3588 zip
All from CWM 0.8 install zip from sd card.

I booted back into CWM (could not had to reinstall) then tried to the last step of the 4349 branch. I could/would not see the recovery (command File) and run the update.zip file of the 4349. kept trying unil tab just hung on the birds screen.

Now I have down loaded all of the file from your page and watche dyour youtube on NVFLASH. here is question...

from the NVFlash tutorial there are two seperate files A. NVFLASHPACK1.2 and B. Win NVFLASH1.2. Which file do I flash first? what is second file for? After doing this your youtube video said to have CWM 0.8 already installed. I can not be sure that CWM0.8 remained intact after all of my attempts to get the 4349 branch boot loader to load. Would it be better to do a 1.1 restore with bekits base file and then use the NVFlash to get to the 1.2 branch? I know that at this point NVFLASH is my only way to recover the tab. just not sure which process is best to follow to get to the correct ending, that is a working tab with the 1.2 branch base line. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dan

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hey Dan, I think I'm a little...confused. First, I'm hoping you can point me to the youtube video you watched...that's sounds interesting. I also wonder which nvflash tutorial you followed...the one here, or somewhere else?

Point me to the pages/sites you're using and we'll see if I or Fuganater can help you clear things up!

-Matt