HP TouchPad: Still better than Honeycomb

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Presuming I ever buy another tablet, it is my likely choice.
Havent used one but I have never had a complaint about HP machines...
especially the one that fell off the back of the motorcycle at 50mph...

and lived.

It will be interesting to see how well the UPDATING goes... particularly after the
SUPERPAD 2.1 -> 2.2 'issues' Ive had recently.
:D

Ironhide

Aug 8, 2011
Wait so he basically says WEbOS sucked but he was going to stick with it??? And a selling point is there is a active homebrewing community? WTH does he think the development community for Android is?
BTW, ZDnet is like the Car and Driver. They can write a review and say how crappy something is on paper, but something just "feels" better and that "feel" has more weight in their "objectivity" than any other statistic. This is how thye try and fairly rate a product but allow the company with the most kick backs or advertising dollars to "win" a comparrison.

I used a TouchPad in the store for about 20 minutes and I hated it. I don't think it's intuitive at all. I was surfing the net and for the life of me, I couldn't find a way to get back to the home screen or even just go back a page without hitting the hard button to get to the home screen. With Honeycomb, I get navigation buttons on screen. That right there is more useful that the POS browser on the TouchPad.

Last edited:

donmcdougall

Sep 4, 2011
I owned a HP until they discontinued t, now I have a ASUS TF 101, ye the HP was great - but ho cares if you have no suport.

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
I have to agree with Ironhide. The review is highly suspect due to the blatant hypocrisy that is prevelant throughout. Do these guys actually read what they write?

The greater irony is now there is a huge demand for the Touchpad since people gobbled them up when HP dropped the price and support for them a few months ago. Sellers on Ebay and Craigslist are charging three times as much for a base (16 GB) model. Screw that!

Just go for the Acer Iconia as this is reportedly Android tablets best kept secret as far as price/performance/expandibility.

Sent from my wwe10 using Android Tablet Forum

Pinkie

Sep 14, 2011
That article was a joke, and the car and driver analogy hit it on the head. The fact they had to lower the price to $99 to garner serious interest tells me all I need to know. I played with it also and flat hated it. However I am biased against HP as I have had a lot of issues with their laptops and such in the past. For $99 it is a great device but when head to head with the Toshiba or the Acer at it's original price point it was a no brainer to run away from it. Not convinced they are going to really support it either.

Davidlanceres

Sep 15, 2011
Meh the article wasn't great but I have an HP Touchpad and I love it! I didn't at first though, the OS takes some getting used to but once you're used to where everything is you start to realize how amazing the multitasking on it really is. I use it quite frequently and the update to Quickoffice was a real treat. Now It has a word processor, excel, and power point for free. All this being said I am slightly bias as I haven't used honeycomb all that much, I was impressed with what I have seen with it though.

Myhre113

Sep 22, 2011
All this getting stated I am slightly bias as I haven't utilized honeycomb all that much, i experienced been impressed with what I have observed with it though.

----------------------------------------------------
cdd42ecd4a200e4cbe68ec25df6cacad-600x308.jpg

running shoes

Wing

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks for sharing user's experience. I quite like the HP Touchpad and its interface. Since it is now discontinued, installing a dual boot with CyanogenMod TouchPad may be the only reason worth buying it. But then, it depends what do you want to use it for. I'll probably skip it and getting something hardwired for Android.