Huawei Misses March Android 2.2 Update Target Ideos S7

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
aG84Cs.jpg

Despite having multiple confirmations from Huawei support staff stating that the Huawei Ideos S7 Android tablet was receiving an upgrade sometime in Q1 of 2011, more specifically before the end of March, the last day of March passed. Huawei support staff now reply stating that the update is 'in development', backtracking from previous statements of its availability. The S7 was Huawei's only entry into the Android tablet market.

It is an unfortunate development for existing owners, who now have to wonder if they will ever see the promised Android 2.2 update for their S7 tablets at all. Huawei is set to launch more Android tablets this year, in the S7 Slim and S7 Pro. The baffling lack of communication from Huawei has undoubtedly created a lasting impression on consumers for some time to come.

megoelmasry

Feb 13, 2011
so no update
and also nobody can cook for us rom with android 2.2
i think i have to back my s7 today and buy Galaxy tab
Huawei wasn't trust company !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so angry

Balcora

Feb 6, 2011
Eh, bugger them, myself and rictec should have CM7 (Android 2.3.3) working soon; rictec has already created a mostly working userland build of CM7, and i've already built mostly working 2.3.3 kernels,
It should be a matter of weeks, if not less; unlike the months or longer huawei wants to take.

dbarb

Apr 1, 2011
Balcora does that mean you will have an android upgrade for the Huawei device before they will ? If so how tdo I get it?

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
Balcora does that mean you will have an android upgrade for the Huawei device before they will ? If so how tdo I get it?
It'll likely get posted here when it happens.

Fortunately, Snapdragon Android implementations vary far less than MSM7k Android implementations, so little reverse engineering of how the S7 does things should be needed. As a result I'm guessing the build should be reasonably stable/non-buggy. (My main phone is an AT&T Tilt 2 - it was never meant to run Android but the xdandroid team reverse engineered enough to get most things working. :) )

It's going to be nearly impossible for the RIL to be any worse than Huawei's RIL, the Huawei RIL is a steaming turd.