Huawei s7 - 103 UK spec on Vodafone Broadband Contract Tarrif, Update to 2.2 question

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
HI All

I have a UK spec s7 - 103. (two cameras, external sd card slot)

Currently bought in the uk on a £15 a month tarriff for 3gb BB usage and the device was free. (vodafone 3g)

Its currently on 2.1 Android and I have ADW laucher working great on it, making it feel more like a samsung galaxy portrait tablet rather than the horizontal s7 version.

Vodafone works fine as does the wifi etc. Same issues as other 2.1 users is that I only have around 25mb left to install apps after I have loaded around 15 apps of various sizes.

MY questions are:

Am I better to:

1. Root 2.1 and use link2sd apps as recommended by a lot of users. (easy to do??)
2. Flash the device with the indonnnsian 2.2 update, and risk it not working?
3. Wait until the day that will never come and the UK get a full update file!!
4. Leave it working on 2.1 as I'm paying for it and don't wish to "brick" the device.

I want 2.2, just like everyone else, but not sure if my spec UK model will work, also don't want to find out that after 2.2 update via the Norway or Indonessia rom that my vodafone UK SIM won't work at all.

Advice with this would be great.

ANYBODY ELSE FLASHED THEIR UK SPEC 103 yet? android market work ok etc ..
Battery life better?

If its a bad call updating to 2.2 can I flash it back to my excact rom when bought from the shop? Afraid that I may have to reload another 2.1 that may not work with vodafone sim as well?

Many thanks in advance.

Ollie1991

Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I too have an S7 from Vodaphone, how do you know if its 103?

I have just updated mine, and was just about to put 2.2 on to it then read on here that it could damage it.

Where did you get yours from, was it actually a VODAFONE store?

I am no help by the way, i don't even know what rooting is!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
HI All

I have a UK spec s7 - 103. (two cameras, external sd card slot)

Currently bought in the uk on a £15 a month tarriff for 3gb BB usage and the device was free. (vodafone 3g)

Its currently on 2.1 Android and I have ADW laucher working great on it, making it feel more like a samsung galaxy portrait tablet rather than the horizontal s7 version.

Vodafone works fine as does the wifi etc. Same issues as other 2.1 users is that I only have around 25mb left to install apps after I have loaded around 15 apps of various sizes.

MY questions are:

Am I better to:

1. Root 2.1 and use link2sd apps as recommended by a lot of users. (easy to do??)
2. Flash the device with the indonnnsian 2.2 update, and risk it not working?
3. Wait until the day that will never come and the UK get a full update file!!
4. Leave it working on 2.1 as I'm paying for it and don't wish to "brick" the device.

I want 2.2, just like everyone else, but not sure if my spec UK model will work, also don't want to find out that after 2.2 update via the Norway or Indonessia rom that my vodafone UK SIM won't work at all.

Advice with this would be great.

ANYBODY ELSE FLASHED THEIR UK SPEC 103 yet? android market work ok etc ..
Battery life better?

If its a bad call updating to 2.2 can I flash it back to my excact rom when bought from the shop? Afraid that I may have to reload another 2.1 that may not work with vodafone sim as well?

Many thanks in advance.

Track down the model specs for the S7 sold in Norway and if they are the same as yours then update to the newly released Norwegian 2.2

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Hello,

I too have an S7 from Vodaphone, how do you know if its 103?

I have just updated mine, and was just about to put 2.2 on to it then read on here that it could damage it.

Where did you get yours from, was it actually a VODAFONE store?

I am no help by the way, i don't even know what rooting is!

Power off the unit, take the battery cover and battery out, and your model # should be on a sticker there:

dUOh1l.jpg

N56

Dec 15, 2010
Hi there! im from the uk too, i have the huawei ideos s7-103 model, i can confirm it works perfectly with the 2.2 update so easy to install and so much better functionality, hope this helps!

Ollie1991

Jan 18, 2011
Dublea,

Thanks a lot for that, i never knew how to find out!

And thanks N56, I have a S7-103 to, so i will put 2.2 on it, do you have any problems at all with it though? Even minor?

Thanks.

N56

Dec 15, 2010
not as of yet? i have been using it well! battery is rubbish still but cant be helped, no serious issues really

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
not as of yet? i have been using it well! battery is rubbish still but cant be helped, no serious issues really

Hi again, thanks for the replies.

I got mine from The Digital Phone Company in East Anglian. www.digital-phone.co.uk They are a Vodafone Platinum Partner and a well respected company.

Great Device and great deal.

As for your update which 2.2 rom did you use? Any issues at all with cameras and android market not working?

Can you send me the link to the rom you used and its instructions. Any issues since your last post?

Cheers

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
Hi there! im from the uk too, i have the huawei ideos s7-103 model, i can confirm it works perfectly with the 2.2 update so easy to install and so much better functionality, hope this helps!

Does your Vodafone SIm still work after the update? Cheers

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
Hi Again.

OK so it seems that 2.2 is with us.

What I need now is someone who has updated there s7-103 Tablet on a vodafone 3g broadband contract to show me that all is working fine with the new rom.

I mean that they can use the 3g network and wifi, android market, battery life is fine (normall), screen dims ok, cameras work fine(both), GPS fixes etc etc etc ...

I have read this forum back to front and seen flash with this then reflash with this and then errors after error after success blah, blah, blah .....

Can I please have one post from a Seroius user who can make it a sticky and post full details of how to upgrade to 2.2 with all of the above fully working with a UK spec device.

Hope this all seems clear, I know there will be a few hundred if not thousand s7 uk users out there just waiting for the official UK update that will never come.
So this would help a great deal.
Remember it has to work in full 3g vodafone broadband as well as I currently pay for this monthly and it works great on 2.1.

Many Thanks in advance.

Ollie1991

Jan 18, 2011
Hi,

Just want to say thanks to everyone that helped me and had the patenice with my questions!

TheRookiGB, I too got mine from the Digital Phone Coy, Fakenham? I got 5GB of Data allowance though, after bartering a bit!

I am not the serious user you are looking for, but everything you have mentioned is working fine from cameras to GPS and wifi! I don't know how to properly check 3g but i am using the internet right now (not wifi enabled) and it has the 'H' with the two arrows to the right of the signal indication, isn't that better than 3G?

I used this thread:
[ROM] Indonesian Android 2.2.2 for Dual-Camera S7 S7v100R001C98B021

and when I downloaded it I used the Mediafire option, when you download it though take the dload folder out of the dload folder though, as I reformated mine and lost all my data for no reason, just as long as it is FAT/FAT32 it will work.

If there is anything else you want to know, just tell me how to do it and I will have ago at finding it out!

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
Hi,

Just want to say thanks to everyone that helped me and had the patenice with my questions!

TheRookiGB, I too got mine from the Digital Phone Coy, Fakenham? I got 5GB of Data allowance though, after bartering a bit!

I am not the serious user you are looking for, but everything you have mentioned is working fine from cameras to GPS and wifi! I don't know how to properly check 3g but i am using the internet right now (not wifi enabled) and it has the 'H' with the two arrows to the right of the signal indication, isn't that better than 3G?

I used this thread:
[ROM] Indonesian Android 2.2.2 for Dual-Camera S7 S7v100R001C98B021

and when I downloaded it I used the Mediafire option, when you download it though take the dload folder out of the dload folder though, as I reformated mine and lost all my data for no reason, just as long as it is FAT/FAT32 it will work.

If there is anything else you want to know, just tell me how to do it and I will have ago at finding it out!

SUPERB!!!!!
I will download and try this soon.

Anything else to look for when setting this up?

great offer, hows your battery life now?

Cheers for the reply.

TheRookiGB

Jan 18, 2011
SUPERB!!!!!
I will download and try this soon.

Anything else to look for when setting this up?

great offer, hows your battery life now?

Cheers for the reply.

OK this is a Go Go Go!

All seems fine as you mentioned.

So UK spec 103 with dual cameras and vodafone 3g broadband Sim works fine with Indonessian Rom 2.2.2.

I have flashed mine with 16gb Micro SD card and all was fine.

Now I can load 100's of apps rather than 20 max! without rooting it!

Cheers for everyones help.

Couple of notes to consider once flashed.
1. Change time zone to London Time GMT.
2. Delete all RSS feeds from ASIA.

Cheers all again for this. I have my S7 back after feeling that it was a bit limited before.
(PS. also seems a bit faster?)

Ollie1991

Jan 18, 2011
OK this is a Go Go Go!

All seems fine as you mentioned.

So UK spec 103 with dual cameras and vodafone 3g broadband Sim works fine with Indonessian Rom 2.2.2.

I have flashed mine with 16gb Micro SD card and all was fine.

Now I can load 100's of apps rather than 20 max! without rooting it!

Cheers for everyones help.

Couple of notes to consider once flashed.
1. Change time zone to London Time GMT.
2. Delete all RSS feeds from ASIA.

Cheers all again for this. I have my S7 back after feeling that it was a bit limited before.
(PS. also seems a bit faster?)

Ye the offer was a good one, and got a free 4gb SD card too!

Ye the battery life is pretty rubbish as you already know, but its so much better otherwise!

Glad its working good for you again