I just have a Question

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Can it?

Probably. However, M$ is not releasing Windows RT for sale to consumers. If you can find a way to get your hands on a copy, with enough persistence you may be able to load it on there.

Most of the android tablets do not meet the RT min specs so the tablet OEMs cannot release firmware to change them to Win RT.

One requirement is 2 full size USB ports if I recall.

And, WinRT install size is nearly 14 GB compared to less than 1 GB for Android. If you have a 16 GB tablet, you will have no room for any content other than the OS.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My question would be, "why would you want to run Windows RT on an Android tablet?"

Seriously, RT can't run regular Windows programs, has few apps of its own and no access to Android or Apple apps. Other than doing it because one can, I see no reason to even bother with Windows RT.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Other than Office, which in itself raises RT to a competitive level. Plus Internet Explorer, the real Internet Explorer, allows for a browsing experience well beyond Android or iOS. I'm not ready to give up my Android tablet just yet, but Windows RT is a compelling platform.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Other than Office, which in itself raises RT to a competitive level. Plus Internet Explorer, the real Internet Explorer, allows for a browsing experience well beyond Android or iOS. I'm not ready to give up my Android tablet just yet, but Windows RT is a compelling platform.

Interesting most windows users I know don't use IE they use Firefox, so this version of IE is better than Firefox.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If Windows RT included full versions of Office then there may be something there. However, the version of Office for RT is stripped down, similar to Office 2010 Starter that was pre-packaged on some laptops. The point is moot anyway, because Microsoft simply doesn't understand why people prefer the iPad and Android tablets over its offering. Here's a hint: people like to play with their gadgets, not get work done on them.

In my experience, IE still cannot compete with Chrome or Firefox. Yet apparently it still has its fans.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The version of office that comes with RT is surprisingly fully featured, 90% of users wouldn't miss or even understand the differences, and office apps for Android or iOS are a joke in comparison and I know, I own all of the Android Office Suites. I am an Android fan, but don't underestimate Microsoft. Rt, or the Metro side of Win8, basically gives anyone with a touch screen computer the tablet experience, through Metro. Think about this, as high powered processors get less power hungry, say with the Haswell architecture, you can have a tablet as powerful as an Ultrabook, running Office, Photoshop, you name it, in a package with the size, weight and battery life of an Android or Apple tablet. And with the touch of a button it can become that toy you say people seam to want, with the Metro interface. If Microsoft can just explain this effectively so people understand the potential I think they will do just fine.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Interesting most windows users I know don't use IE they use Firefox, so this version of IE is better than Firefox.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

It is certainly superior to the Android version of Firefox, but that is obvious and really doesn't even need to be said. I have been a Firefox on windows user for 5 or 6 years now and I have made the switch back to IE. It is fast. My point was to compare the browsing experience in Windows compared to Android and iOS, and it isn't even close, but again this is so obvious it also shouldn't even need to be stated.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
It is certainly superior to the Android version of Firefox, but that is obvious and really doesn't even need to be said. I have been a Firefox on windows user for 5 or 6 years now and I have made the switch back to IE. It is fast. My point was to compare the browsing experience in Windows compared to Android and iOS, and it isn't even close, but again this is so obvious it also shouldn't even need to be stated.

So after 5 or 6 years using Firefox this version of IE made you switch back to IE because its fast? interesting.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
My question would be, "why would you want to run Windows RT on an Android tablet?"

Seriously, RT can't run regular Windows programs, has few apps of its own and no access to Android or Apple apps. Other than doing it because one can, I see no reason to even bother with Windows RT.

I never heard of windows RT, just looked it up laughed for 10 minutes realized Tom T was pulling my leg about this competing with android.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/06/06/does-this-mean-microsoft-windows-rt-is-dead.aspx

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I never heard of windows RT, just looked it up laughed for 10 minutes realized Tom T was pulling my leg about this competing with android.
Does This Mean Microsoft Windows RT Is Dead? (MSFT)

Either you are trying to be funny or you don't understand the concept, Android is great but an OS designed for phones being scaled up to what? Compete against Windows? RT really isn't the point here, but the Metro side of Win8 allows for the best of both worlds. With Haswell here we will have Tablets that can PhotoShop but still play, I don't know, Fruit Ninja? (I guess that's what people buy Tablets for) with a device that weighs as much as an iPad and has comparable battery life. Do I think Win8 or RT directly competes with Android or iOS today? No, that's why I have and love my Galaxy Note 10.1, but by next year I am likely to have one device to carry with me that can do everything my Android Tablet can do, and in case I need to do any actual, you know, work I can do it all on that very same device. Now you might argue that everything will be done remotely soon, back to the new version of the thin client, but if so then what difference is the platform going to make? I'm in the fortunate position of possessing a number of devices, including a surface RT I got from a friend who was impressed enough with my Note 10.1 she bought one herself. It really was the stylus that attracted her, but she is very happy now. It has given me the opportunity to use an RT for some time, and although I'm not convinced this subset of Win8 will be successful, mainly for the reasons I stated, it is elegant and for people that are actually forced to get some work done from time to time it is a viable alternative. Plus, aside from the iPad, the build quality is better than pretty much anything else I've seen. As far as Firefox is concerned, I still run it on my Win7 box but Fast is Fast and if I were afraid of change I would probably still be running Netscape Navigator on my Caldera Open Linux box.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If Metro was so great I'd be using it on my Dell XPS 18 tablet running Windows 8. I've tried it, but hunting and pecking for corners to do things that could be done with a Start Menu just doesn't fly. One start menu replacement later and I can truly get down to work, or more accurately, play. While the XPS 18 has a wireless keyboard and mouse included and can run Office, it's still a tablet, with all of a tablet's limitations.

P.S. I stand corrected regarding Office on Windows RT.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Either you are trying to be funny or you don't understand the concept, Android is great but an OS designed for phones being scaled up to what? Compete against Windows? RT really isn't the point here, but the Metro side of Win8 allows for the best of both worlds. With Haswell here we will have Tablets that can PhotoShop but still play, I don't know, Fruit Ninja? (I guess that's what people buy Tablets for) with a device that weighs as much as an iPad and has comparable battery life. Do I think Win8 or RT directly competes with Android or iOS today? No, that's why I have and love my Galaxy Note 10.1, but by next year I am likely to have one device to carry with me that can do everything my Android Tablet can do, and in case I need to do any actual, you know, work I can do it all on that very same device. Now you might argue that everything will be done remotely soon, back to the new version of the thin client, but if so then what difference is the platform going to make? I'm in the fortunate position of possessing a number of devices, including a surface RT I got from a friend who was impressed enough with my Note 10.1 she bought one herself. It really was the stylus that attracted her, but she is very happy now. It has given me the opportunity to use an RT for some time, and although I'm not convinced this subset of Win8 will be successful, mainly for the reasons I stated, it is elegant and for people that are actually forced to get some work done from time to time it is a viable alternative. Plus, aside from the iPad, the build quality is better than pretty much anything else I've seen. As far as Firefox is concerned, I still run it on my Win7 box but Fast is Fast and if I were afraid of change I would probably still be running Netscape Navigator on my Caldera Open Linux box.

The concept is simple you missed the boat, windows RT is a joke, even Major vendors have told MS no they wont being using this Joke on their tablets. RT is basically Windows ME, MS always puts out at least one horrible OS and RT is it, Acer has already said they would just put out full windows 8 and I am sure other companies that want to use windows OS will also, so that means this Joke RT is dead a complete waste of time wont and can't complete with anything but the garbage can.

Can windows 8 full version not this joke RT compete with android? sure it can any product that doesn't make people burst out into laughter has a chance in the market, again RT is dead, this was just MS joke OS, another ME. The good news is for windows users, they don't have to be scammed into buying RT, they can get the real or full version of windows 8 tablet, this is due to android.

Years ago no company would question MS any junk OS they put out, companies would jump on it, afraid to talk back to MS and demand better, but now that can and do refuse junk OS, cause if MS doesn't play ball the companies simply use another OS. Much better world when MS doesn't own it, wouldn't you agree?

After reading your posts again, it's clear you want a windows OS and you may even need one, but why are you willing to accept MS substandard OS? That part is confusing to me, I think next year thanks to companies that stood up to MS even you will choose full windows 8 over this RT, had they not stood up, your choice would have been limited.

So honest question both windows tablets laying side by side RT and full windows 8 which are you going to buy?

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I really can't argue the points you guys have made, especially regarding RT as a standalone OS. The thing is, with battery life soon to become irrelevant I am looking forward, quite soon in fact, to a single device that can handle my work load (and this means Office, if Open Office in its entirety can be ported to Android I might rethink this) and my entertainment. I suppose my social media as well, but I'm really not that social to begin with (that's probably why I live on a small secluded island with no public access). RT may fail, but the Metro side of Win8 will be a success I think, because it allows Windows to be most things to most people. Keep in mind I kind of fell into an RT device, and I like it, but the reason I do is because I realized that, for the most part, I was buying tablets and doing everything possible to turn them into a replacement for my large, heavy, power hungry ball and chain computing device. The RT is a willing subject, but as I tried to say originally, it is the full windows 8 that intrigues me, with both its serious and playful sides. All this said, I am probably buying a Galaxy Note 8 from Costco this weekend, because my Sony Tablet P, which I used primarily as an e-reader (the dual screens made reading very natural), died on me and here we come to the coolness factor, the Note, with its Stylus and IR blaster, quad core power and wide variety of entertainment possibilities, make it almost irresistible to me....of course, the first thing I will do is pair it up with a BT keyboard, load up my Office compatible apps and make sure, if I need to, I can get some work done.