I need a tablet that will power and run usb external harddrives.

renton

May 1, 2012
Hi there,

After posting in the discussion section it was recommended to post here.

I am after a tablet to replace an ageing laptop and i need one that will power and run my external hardrives which are full of music and movies.

I have a budget of £150 -£200 uk pounds and ideally i would like something as upto date as possible.

do you have anything that you could recommend will do the job on your site??

also if you do have something will the drives need reformatting or can i leave them as they are?

finally do you post to the uk and if so will i be liable for any import charges??

thanks for your help

steve

Feb 16, 2012
Hi there,

After posting in the discussion section it was recommended to post here.

I am after a tablet to replace an ageing laptop and i need one that will power and run my external hardrives which are full of music and movies.

I have a budget of £150 -£200 uk pounds and ideally i would like something as upto date as possible.

do you have anything that you could recommend will do the job on your site??

also if you do have something will the drives need reformatting or can i leave them as they are?

finally do you post to the uk and if so will i be liable for any import charges??

thanks for your help

steve

Hi Steve
Choose you like tablets for you.

we ship to Uk.
Thanks a lot and have a nice day! :eek:

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Them yuandao is a very nice tab. Another one I would've bought but for stock/price issues at them time. I've seen good reviews of this tab in a lot of places. I would recommend if you want 9.7" screen you go for this. If you have funds that is :)

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

renton

May 1, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply.

can you just confirm for me that either of these will play music and movies from my externall usb hard drive

cheers

steve

renton

May 1, 2012
Hi there I have just recieved my tablet in the post today.

it looks well made however I have a few questions.....

There are no english instructions ??

some of the keys on the keyboard come up in chinese ?? is there a way to change these to english?

when clicking the apps tab on the screen it comes up with the apps but before i click one it automatically thinks i have clicked the calender tab and loads that??

finally and the most important one, when i asked if the tablet would power and work my external hard drives you said it would, now i have noticed a thread above which you have started saying all external hard drives need to have their own power as the tablet cant do it!!!!!

what am i supposed to do now ?

Feb 16, 2012
Hi there I have just recieved my tablet in the post today.

it looks well made however I have a few questions.....

There are no english instructions ??

some of the keys on the keyboard come up in chinese ?? is there a way to change these to english?

when clicking the apps tab on the screen it comes up with the apps but before i click one it automatically thinks i have clicked the calender tab and loads that??

finally and the most important one, when i asked if the tablet would power and work my external hard drives you said it would, now i have noticed a thread above which you have started saying all external hard drives need to have their own power as the tablet cant do it!!!!!

what am i supposed to do now ?

Hi, Steve, :eek:this tablets have no english instructions, we asked yuandao factory , they told us have no any english instructions.
before tablets shipped , we tested work perfect and set to your country languages, is english . you can set change the keys on the keyboard to english.
One last question Please Click here The N90 Tablet PC OTG data cable to connect the removable hard disk
Good lucky. Have a nice day!
From China android tablet pc blog

renton

May 1, 2012
when i have asked you about my external hard drives you made no mention about them needing their own power supply. now i have a tablet i cant use with my usb harddrives??

also the screen will not work in some places ? i have to move screen up or down for certain things to work?

can you calibrate the screen at all?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi renton, most tablets will not provide usb power to devices. Things that don't really take power like usb thumb drives or basic card readers should work but not usb hubs or certain back up drives. If a device does require additional power you can use a powered usb hub which will supply the powered usb devices and still allow you to connect your tablet to them through the hub.

You may be able to find a screen calibration app in the market if the device doesn't have a built in method to calibrate.

JP

Feb 16, 2012
when i have asked you about my external hard drives you made no mention about them needing their own power supply. now i have a tablet i cant use with my usb harddrives??

also the screen will not work in some places ? i have to move screen up or down for certain things to work?

can you calibrate the screen at all?

Hello, Dear Steve
We tested the 500G external hard drive can be connected, perhaps your lack of electricity, external hard disk requires an external power supply.
about your tablets screen not work in some places. try restart the n90 tablet pc .
Have a nice time! :eek:

Feb 16, 2012
Hi renton, most tablets will not provide usb power to devices. Things that don't really take power like usb thumb drives or basic card readers should work but not usb hubs or certain back up drives. If a device does require additional power you can use a powered usb hub which will supply the powered usb devices and still allow you to connect your tablet to them through the hub.

You may be able to find a screen calibration app in the market if the device doesn't have a built in method to calibrate.

JP

Thanks for you good answer. :eek:

BuBuSpidecky

May 25, 2012
I've got an Airpad XL and a 3 port Belkin Powered Hub plugged into it. I have a mouse, keyboard, and a WD 350GB pocket drive plugged into the Hub, and my AirPad recognizes all of them.

Now If I can build an app that makes the AirPad use a USB device for all Temp Storage, email, backups, etc. And/or be able to have apps search the usb device for data (like my old iPaqs do). And not freakout when the device isn't there, I'd be a very happy camper/astronomer.:p

Cheers,
BuBu

I very frustrating being conscious of the fact that I've lost my mind!:cool: