i10le missing storage space?

ripit

Dec 11, 2013
I just got this tablet dirt cheap as a display model. I have other tablets but none with a screen this big. So it is only showing 234MB total internal storage in one partition (its supposed to have 4 GB). So I know system files take over a gig but it should still have a couple of gig. I contacted the manufacture who tried to do a reset (and didn't even know how to do a restore to default, I had to tell her how to do it as I had already searched on it). Even after a restore it only shows 234MB. It was a display so someone may have messed with it in the store. The manufacture said return it to the store without really trying to trouble shoot it (I can not get another to replace it so cheap). If its dead fine, I can return but I would like to get it to work. I have searched and tried things but can not find the missing space. It is not rooted and I don't know how to do it. I do have a terminal emulator installed but can not find any info I can interpret.

Could anyone help me find if the partitions are just messed up or is the hardware bad?

edit:

A little additional info. I found a file explorer that is showing system files and folders. proc is 1.6gb, sys is 25MB, and system is 173MB. The rest are small files and folders not more than a few MB. It doesn't show the missing space though. It only shows one partition in settings. Its almost as if there is unalocated space or a partition that is not showing up?

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I'm wondering if that tablet has partitioned storage. That would cause you to see one OS/app partition and another one for data. If you can't find another partition I don't know what to tell you. 4GB wasn't a lot to work with anyway.

ripit

Dec 11, 2013
Welcome to the forum

I'm wondering if that tablet has partitioned storage. That would cause you to see one OS/app partition and another one for data. If you can't find another partition I don't know what to tell you. 4GB wasn't a lot to work with anyway.

Thanks for the response. I understand what you mean about multiple partitions. I have other 4gb tablets the kids use. I have a d2 7" with android 4.0 (same as the i10le) that has one partition that is about 1GB and 1 partition that is about 2GB. That leaves 1GB missing which if I understand right is about right for android 4.0. I have 2 4gb tablets (a 9" d2 and a 7" polaroid dual core) with android 4.1 and both have aprox a 1GB and a 1.5GB partition so about 1.5GB missing (about right for android 4.1 on a hidden partition I assume). My sero 7 pro has 8GB with a single 6.5 GB partition showing so about 1.5Gb missing for android.

This one only has a single 234MB partition. I know there can be a hidden partition that doesn't show under settings like the one android is on, so I'm trying to figure out if the memory has gone bad, or if the partitions are just messed up (which could be fixable). I only paid $35 for a working 9.7" tablet so if its fixable it might be worth the trouble. It seems to be fully functional except for the missing space.

Something else odd. If I add an sd card, it sees it as internal storage.

Is there a way to find if the memory is there or if its gone bad? I don't mind figuring out how to root it and fix the partitions but it would be nice to know if the memory has failed or if its there somewhere before going to all that trouble. I assume that would involve rooting it, backing up the os and then redoing the partitions?

On a side note I know 4GB is not a lot but you can manage to get a couple of dozen basic apps (no huge game) and lots of video and media on an sd card. Its good enough for the kids and I manage well enough with my 8GB tablet though more would be nice (all have 16gb sd cards).

Last edited: