ICS update will not download

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
I just updated the updater, checked for the ICS update, and there it was!! However, when I try to download it, I get an error that states: Network coverage is currently poor: Please move to a better location with better network coverage to continue. It could be that the server is just congested from everybody downloading updates! :D Has anybody else seen this?? My A500 is currently pretty close to my router and the wireless signal is strong.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I just updated the updater, checked for the ICS update, and there it was!! However, when I try to download it, I get an error that states: Network coverage is currently poor: Please move to a better location with better network coverage to continue. It could be that the server is just congested from everybody downloading updates! :D Has anybody else seen this?? My A500 is currently pretty close to my router and the wireless signal is strong.

I am 99% sure the problem is on their end because I just clicked to check for the update even though I already have ICS, just wanted to see what would happen, and I get the same message you are getting and I am right next to my router and it is always excellent with no problems in the past. So, just hang in there and you'll get it. I'm pretty sure you are right about the congestion since it's Saturday and so many people I'm sure waited until now to download. :)

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
Now I am sometimes getting an indication that it is downloading, but the progress bar stays at zero! If this is an Acer problem, how come some other folks have been able to download it? Does anybody have the actual file?

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
Okay...official word from the Acer Iconia help desk (Australia)... The early ICS update had "technical issues" and the update has been rolled back to May 17th for us Australians (I suppose it applies to other parts of the world still waiting as well). If you are getting the "move to another area with better network coverage" message the problem is NOT yours or your equipment...it is at Acer's end and that, according to the rep I spoke to, is official. Those getting that weird message on trying to update will notice that from time to time they will also get the message telling them (erroneously) that their tab is up to date. Just wait folks...better to wait and be happy than get a botched download.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Okay...official word from the Acer Iconia help desk (Australia)... The early ICS update had "technical issues" and the update has been rolled back to May 17th for us Australians (I suppose it applies to other parts of the world still waiting as well). If you are getting the "move to another area with better network coverage" message the problem is NOT yours or your equipment...it is at Acer's end and that, according to the rep I spoke to, is official. Those getting that weird message on trying to update will notice that from time to time they will also get the message telling them (erroneously) that their tab is up to date. Just wait folks...better to wait and be happy than get a botched download.

This should probably be a temporary sticky so that people might see it without searching.

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
The download started when I got back from work, and is installing now....there is no stopping it!! Hopefully all will be well with it. I got the green Android with the rotating gears on my screen now!!

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
Actually, I just thought of something. If there is something wrong with the update, why are they still pushing it out ???? I would have thought they would would have put a lid on the updates until they fixed it if this was the case.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
yeah that claim of a rollback is bogus. mothers tab got the update 1 hour ago with no issues at all to report. plus acer stated ausralua nz and certain other regions will be slightly delayed before hand. now no doubt there is server congestion

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
yeah that claim of a rollback is bogus. mothers tab got the update 1 hour ago with no issues at all to report. plus acer stated ausralua nz and certain other regions will be slightly delayed before hand. now no doubt there is server congestion

Dilorio...I dislike, intensely, being called a liar. I was told, categorically, by 2 staff members from the Australian Iconia Help Desk that the local update was flawed and that the local rollout was re-scheduled to May 16th. If you think I am lying, then get off your butt and ring them yourself.

I love how when you try to help people you get this sort of grief! What profit would I get from telling such a porky? Honestly!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Dilorio...I dislike, intensely, being called a liar. I was told, categorically, by 2 staff members from the Australian Iconia Help Desk that the local update was flawed and that the local rollout was re-scheduled to May 16th. If you think I am lying, then get off your butt and ring them yourself.

I love how when you try to help people you get this sort of grief! What profit would I get from telling such a porky? Honestly!

Oh well I suppose we Aussies just have to wait another 2 - 3 weeks. Oh well at least that is good to know. Just think about it Stroppy, things will have quietened down somewhat and we won't get as many errors when downloading. Thanks for the help I appreciated it. Don't take what others say too literally - I don't like being called a liar either.

Good on ya mate!
CYA

nivram

Feb 2, 2012

I was told the same information as Stroppy, Acer need to get their response for the ICS sorted out there sending out misinformation yet again!!

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
My update installed very quickly and smoothly with no errors! Time will tell, but from what I can see so far, all is well. I am still concerned that this update is still being pushed out with known flaws. If it causes some people tablets to become high tech bricks, some folks are not going to be happy and Acer should fix the tabs for free!

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The OFFICIAL STATUS here in OZ is that there is something not quite right with the version of ICS for AUSTRALIA and therefore the OTA for AUSTRALIA has been halted and OFFICIALLY rescheduled for 16/17 MAY. Whether you're not happy about it makes no differnce to me. Maybe you think ACER is lying - take it up with them. Don't imply that one of us here in OZ are liars.:mad:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Let's everybody just say we don't really know what the situation is. If there is an issue and you are in OZ you should be happy that they aren't letting you update. It would be helpful to others if you could post the "official" release. Even if the phone ops are correct it isn't official until Acer makes an announcement. They may never make an announcement and correct something behind the scenes or even determine there is nothing wrong and proceed. Eitherway it doesn't cost you anything but a little time.

It is also too early to say the reports of an issue are bogus. Maybe it will turn out there is an issue in certain situations. If you had a good update and you are happy with ICS try and help those that haven't been so fortunate so they can enjoy the update the same way you are.

:) JP