iMiTO AM801 / Blitz RS8 Mini-HOWTO

gdanko

Dec 21, 2010
Having acquired two of these units with little documentation, I'd like to create a single point for information for them since the documentation is sparse. I will edit this information as I discover more.

From what I can tell, these two units are identical. Why the different names is beyond me.

Recovery
There is a very basic recovery menu. You can access the recovery menu via the following process:
  • Disconnect power and turn the tablet off via the GUI or by pressing the reset button.
  • Hold the power and home buttons for ~15 seconds. You will see the boot logo appear and then there will be a white triangle with a yellow exclamation point in the middle, as well as a small Android guy below the triangle.
  • Hold the back and power buttons for a couple of seconds and the menu will appear. Use volume up and volume down to navigate the menus and power to select an option. You will have to hold the power button down for a second or so to switch between options. It's a bit slow. Your options are:
    • reboot system now
    • apply update from /sdcard (this option allows you to pick a zip file but does do verification)
    • wipe data/factory reset
    • wipe cache partition
    • recovery system from backup (as far as I can tell, there is a partition at /dev/block/mtdblock which is a backup and this option restores from it. The partition is verified somehow but I do not know how.)
    • update rkimage from /sdcard (this option looks for the file update.img at the root of /sdcard. There is some form of verification but I don't know how it works.)
Rooting
The rooting process for this tablet is pretty much the same as any other Rockchip-based device.

1. Go to https://spideroak.com/browse/share/gdanko/imito and download root-imito-am801-ics.tgz
  2. Extract root-imito-am801-ics.tgz
  3. Install SuperUser https://market.android.com/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su
  4. Execute the following commands from the terminal:
Code:
[gdanko@dolemite ~]$ cd root-imito-am801-ics
[gdanko@dolemite root-imito-am801-ics]$ adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
[gdanko@dolemite root-imito-am801-ics]$ adb push su /data/local/tmp
[gdanko@dolemite root-imito-am801-ics]$ adb shell
root@android:/ # mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock8 /system
root@android:/ # cd /system/xbin
root@android:/system/xbin # mv su su.old
root@android:/system/xbin # dd if=/data/local/tmp/su of=/system/xbin/su
root@android:/system/xbin # dd if=/data/local/tmp/busybox of=/system/xbin/busybox
root@android:/system/xbin # chown 0:0 su busybox
root@android:/system/xbin # chown 0:0 su busybox
root@android:/system/xbin # chmod 6755 su
root@android:/system/xbin # chmod 4755 busybox
root@android:/system/xbin # mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock8 /system
root@android:/system/xbin # reboot

Partitons
These devices have either 10 or 11 partitions, depends on if you boot normally or in recovery mode. During normal boot your partition map looks like this:
Code:
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00400000 00004000 "misc"
mtd1: 00800000 00004000 "kernel"
mtd2: 01000000 00004000 "boot"
mtd3: 01000000 00004000 "recovery"
mtd4: 14000000 00004000 "backup"
mtd5: 07400000 00004000 "cache"
mtd6: 20000000 00004000 "userdata"
mtd7: 00400000 00004000 "kpanic"
mtd8: 12c00000 00004000 "system"
mtd9: 9d400000 00004000 "user"

And during recovery your partition map looks like this:
Code:
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00400000 00004000 "parameter"
mtd1: 00400000 00004000 "misc"
mtd2: 00800000 00004000 "kernel"
mtd3: 01000000 00004000 "boot"
mtd4: 01000000 00004000 "recovery"
mtd5: 14000000 00004000 "backup"
mtd6: 07400000 00004000 "cache"
mtd7: 20000000 00004000 "userdata"
mtd8: 00400000 00004000 "kpanic"
mtd9: 12c00000 00004000 "system"
mtd10: 9d400000 00004000 "user"

Partition List:

• parameter - This partition only shows up during recovery and I have no idea what this is!
  • misc - This partition contains miscellaneous system settings in form of on/off switches.
  • kernel - This may be a backup of the system kernel. I need to research this one more.
  • boot - This partition is the kernel and ramdisk.
  • recovery - This partition is supposed to be stock recovery but I have wiped it and I can still boot to it. We have not been able to figure it out.
  • backup - This is a very important partition. It is the ROM your tablet shipped with and includes system, boot, and cache images. When restoring from recovery, this is what's used.
  • cache - This is the partition where Android stores frequently accessed data and app components.
  • userdata - This partition is where everything in /data is stored.
  • system - This partition basically contains the entire operating system, other than the kernel and the bootloader.
  • user - This partition appears to be the storage available to users. When I look under Settings > Storage, the amount of the partition closely matches the size of this partition.
Initial Backup
This is extremely important and it helped me un-brick a tablet.
Boot into recovery using the method outlined in the Recovery section and execute the following commands exactly as they are shown below.

Code:
# mkdir /sdcard/backup
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/parameter of=/sdcard/backup/parameter.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/user of=/sdcard/backup/user.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/system of=/sdcard/backup/system.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/kpanic of=/sdcard/backup/kpanic.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/userdata of=/sdcard/backup/userdata.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/cache of=/sdcard/backup/cache.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/backup of=/sdcard/backup/backup.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/recovery of=/sdcard/backup/recovery.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/backup/boot.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/kernel of=/sdcard/backup/kernel.img
# dd if=/dev/block/mtd/by-name/misc of=/sdcard/backup/misc.img

Once you have created all of these images, store copies of them in a safe place!!!

Un-bricking
Assuming you have not whacked your recovery partition you should be able to recover from just about any stupid mistake using this method.
  1. Copy the backup.img file you created in the Initial Backup section to an SD card and rename it as update.img.
  2. Reboot to the recovery menu as outlined in the Recovery section.
  3. Hold the volume down button while in the recovery menu until you are on the "update rkimage from /sdcard" option.
  4. Press the power button to restore from /sdcard/update.img. This process will restore system, boot, and cache, and will also update your backup partition on the tablet.
  5. For good measure, select "wipe data/factory" reset and do that as well.
  6. Reboot your device. It should come up just as you got it from the factory.
Note: Please PM me if any of my information is inaccurate or if you have any other information to share.

Last edited:

nick0742

Feb 20, 2012
i'm sorry but i dont really understand how to enter the commands for the backup while in recovery mode. Is this through adb or what?

ReoS

Feb 19, 2012
I tried the tutorial for rooting but when I select TEMPROOT NOW, get the black screen, press home and open Visionary+ again, nothing happens. I try to use ConnectBot anyways but it ask me for a user. I tried to connect with root@localhost but it keep saying it can't connect. Am I missing something? Thanks!

waynechia6011

Mar 9, 2012
hi gdanko,
i cant make it, is there any link to download the backup image for imito am801?
my tablet cant start..,.. it just hang when pad starts "SMART PAD" and i only able to go to
recovery menu.
Please help me.. i need the backup/update image for gingerbread v2.3.1.. tq

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
hi gdanko,
i cant make it, is there any link to download the backup image for imito am801?
my tablet cant start..,.. it just hang when pad starts "SMART PAD" and i only able to go to
recovery menu.
Please help me.. i need the backup/update image for gingerbread v2.3.1.. tq

Have you tried to [FONT=&quot]wipe data/factory reset or [/FONT][FONT=&quot]recovery system from back up

[/FONT]
To get to this power off the tablet
Hold and keep holding the Home button
Push and hold the Power button
The ImiTO splash screen will come up and later a screen with an android and a triangle with a ! in it
Push and hold the Volume up button and push the Power button until you get to the Android system recovery screen (you may have to try several times to get there)

You should see the following choices.

reboot system now
apply update from /SD card
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
recovery system from back up
update RKimage from /SD card

I would try both "wipe data/factory reset" and "recovery system from backup"

To select these push the volume up and down keys but note the response is slow

Follow the instructions

When you get to the next level, move the cursor down the menu to get to the active menu item

Note my unit had a system back up apparently stored automatically

The following post may also be of help

iMito Am801 - Upgrade software - firmware - Page 2

sgharib

Mar 20, 2012
Hi, I have the same model of PC Tablet. My question is : is the rooting process you have mentioned above is valid for the operating system Android 4.0.3 ?Thanks in advance.

SnuRRe

Mar 21, 2012
Hi,

How do I get into adb with this one?
Is it supposed to work when it is in the recovery menu? In that case, what driver should I use for it?

The only way it installs on my computer, is either as an usb-drive when it is booted normally, or with the Rockusb-driver when I connect it to the PC while holding HOME-button when it is turned off.
Is it supposed to connect in a way that an adb-interface shows up?

Regards,
Morten

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
Gdanko, thank you for your methodology and guidance, it was of immense help.

I recently updated to ICS but really did not like it as I had a number of issues with it, two of the major ones being regularly losing wi-fi contact and not being able to access my tablet’s on-board memory and the SD card via my PC. I was unable to side load apps etc.

I had previously rooted my unit with UnlockRoot and used Titanium Backup to back up my stuff.

In the meantime I had tried to carry out the “Initial Backups” in the way that you described but ran into problems (I think that the problem was that the file transfer took a long time because at first I tried a large file to copy to the SD card and thought that the process did not work so I stopped).

What I ended up doing was to use Root Explorer. I drilled down through the folder structure to find the files as listed, copied them and pasted them into a folder on the SD card.

I then copied them to my PC and renamed them.

However I was never able to find or copy the “parameter” partition.

I loaded and played around with ICS and, when I realised that I did not like it, I used your “Unbricking” method to change everything back to what it was before upgrading to ICS, BUT I forgot to “[FONT=&quot]wipe data/factory reset” before rebooting. As a consequence, after I rebooted I was hit with screenfuls of messages saying that the tablet could not load stuff. One message kept coming up continually. I managed to get it to turn off but had a hell of a time trying to restart it again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What I finally did was to connect to the charger while holding down the Home button and waiting. I managed to boot into Recovery and navigate to “wipe data/factory reset” and all was good.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then rooted it with UnlockRoot, loaded Titanium Backup and restored all my stuff.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The main point to remember is to “wipe data/factory reset” after “update rkimage from /sdcard” but before rebooting.[/FONT]

gdanko

Dec 21, 2010
Thanks for the input. The iMiTO is an odd beast in that its recovery is not set up normally. You cannot do "adb reboot recovery" and get to recovery. In fact I zeroed out the recovery partition with dd and was still able to get into recovery by holding down the home button. This makes porting CWR difficult.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sgharib

Mar 20, 2012
Dear gdanko,

I tried to root my tablet pc using the mentioned method but it failed.

1 - visionary : kept working without stopping on pressing TEMPROOT NOW.
2- ConnectBot when i wrote the mount and remount sentence; it gave " file not found"
3- Gingerbreak then kept working without stopping

I do not know what is the Problem ? ( My OS is 4.0.3).

Regards.

Last edited: