Immersed in Android

asjohnston3

Oct 10, 2012
Greetings and salutations to all. I started becoming an Android fan a little less than a year ago when I purchased my 1st smart phone. (HTC EVO Design 4g) I really got my feet wet when I purchased a Logitech Review and hooked it up to my TV. (what a disaster!) I started looking at tablets about 4 months ago when my daughter-in-law purchased a Kindle Fire. 2 months ago, my son let it be known that an ASUS TF300 would be a perfect birthday gift. He is a chef and uses it to keep track of stock and place orders for supplies at his restaurant.
I supervise diesel mechanics at the local transit agency but have always been a tech. junkie. I started building my own computers back when 386 cpu mother boards were new. Prior to that I participated in bulletin board discussions using my Commodore 64 and a modem that held the phone hand set in a cradle. (War Games, anyone?) I built my 1st home network when Windows 3.1 came out. I've dabbled in basic and can still recall most of the DOS and Unix command structure. The thing is, I just sort of got tired of it. When decent affordable laptops became a reality a few years ago I just started buying them for me and my wife.
After playing around with my sons ASUS, I really started getting the tablet bug. I finally gave in and bought an Idolian Idolpad Plus from Amazon. After playing with it for a while, I decided that I HAD to have a larger, Cortex A9 tablet and purchased a Onda v811 from a Chinese company using Aliexpress. (That's a whole story in it's self!) Lately I've caught myself looking at 9.7 & 10.1 inch form factor units. So I guess you could say I've gotten the bug pretty bad. I've been using any free time (Is their any such thing?) I have to research processors, memory and such. I've just started getting in to rooting and custom ROM's and other software (&firmware) issues. I've been out of the game for far too long and have a lot of catching up to do. In any case, I feel that androidtablets will prove to be a great resource and am looking forward to time spent here.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello asjohnston, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets and nice to see you getting around the forum meeting and helping folks. Enjoy your tablets and the forum!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Android hacking should be no problem for you. Welcome to the forum.