Installing CWR on rooted NC 1.1

azsl1326

Mar 10, 2011

Hello All,

I bought a NC last week and it came with 1.1 out of the box. I rooted it following one of the tutorials on You Tube and everything works perfectly. At the time I wasn't aware of backing up my stock ROM or installing custom ROMs, etc. using CWR. After a decent amount of time on this forum and some others over the last few days, I think I would like to install CWR. However, I am trying to wrap my head around the hows of installing it, using it, etc., all hopefully without bricking my NC. Apologies in advance, but I just haven't been able to find answers to my questions so I thought I would post a few of them now. I GREATLY appreciate any insight, tips and general assistance.

With that said, now that I have 1.1 rooted, what's the best way to install CWR?
1) Do I want to create a bootable CWR on mSD or have it installed on the NC itself using ROM manager? What's the difference between the two options?
2) Before installing a custom ROM, I imagine I want to backup the working root ROM?
3) Faceman's new post references 'a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 (ext3 & ext4 compatible)'. What does ext3 & ext4 reference.

Again, thanks for the assistance. Apologies if I have missed a 'How To" post, but I have done my best to find it.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Ya, there are when you use Auto nooter 3.1 not pre rooted. But not all have faced issue, so you can install it.

azsl1326

Mar 10, 2011
Okay, so again my apologies as I am a noob at this and I am having trouble finding answers to my questions. So I went and installed ROM Manager from the Market. Upon running ROM Manager I received a message about the SD card not being mounted. I tried to install CWM via the ROM Manager interface and received the same message about the SD card. No where did I see anything about having to have the SD card mounted. If it's supposed to be mounted, what files should be on it? Is it the cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip?

With that said, I decided to download CWM 3.0.1.0 (8gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.rar) and burned the image to the SD Card, then booted from the SD card and created a backup of my current system. This all worked fine. So with that said, why wouldn't I just always use the bootable CWM? Is using ROM Manager just saving a step by having CWM installed on the NC's internal memory?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Last edited:

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
I like to have clockworks flashed to the Nook. I personaly like to do everything from the rom manager. It saves several steps as long as the rom is flashable that way. On the other hand im not sure of the benefit of using the clockworks recovery on the sd card. Can anyone explain this please?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Okay, so again my apologies as I am a noob at this and I am having trouble finding answers to my questions. So I went and installed ROM Manager from the Market. Upon running ROM Manager I received a message about the SD card not being mounted. I tried to install CWM via the ROM Manager interface and received the same message about the SD card. No where did I see anything about having to have the SD card mounted. If it's supposed to be mounted, what files should be on it? Is it the cwmr_3.0.1.0.zip?

With that said, I decided to download CWM 3.0.1.0 (8gb_clockwork-3.0.1.0.rar) and burned the image to the SD Card, then booted from the SD card and created a backup of my current system. This all worked fine. So with that said, why wouldn't I just always use the bootable CWM? Is using ROM Manager just saving a step by having CWM installed on the NC's internal memory?

Thanks again for the assistance.

I like to have clockworks flashed to the Nook. I personaly like to do everything from the rom manager. It saves several steps as long as the rom is flashable that way. On the other hand im not sure of the benefit of using the clockworks recovery on the sd card. Can anyone explain this please?

ROM Manager/ClockWork Recovery need to have an SD card installed and mounted to the NC in order to operate because they write the backup TO the sd card. So if there is no card found, it can't do a backup. It also looks to the SD card for things to install (flashing new roms, kernels, restoring backups, etc).

Using a bootable CWR card for backups is useful for a couple of reasons, the most important being that in case of emergency or total failure (hardware fault, dropped your NC in the bathtub, etc) you have a restore option that wasn't lost at the same time as the failure. Sure, keeping all your backups on the internal/storage SD is convenient, but it's also easy to lose if something happens. So the extra card is something that I recommend, and I strongly recommend it to be keep separate (in a drawer or someplace safe) just in case you need it.