Intermittent internet connection

inola

Nov 14, 2011
I have an Asus eee Pad Transformer with Honeycomb and internet problems. Internet connection keeps dropping for several minutes before connection is re-established.
Now, I've seen this problem many times in different forums and for different tablets, but never with a good answer. Since it happens for all these different tablets, it looks more like an Android problem to me than a specific hardware problem.

I can access my network files on my NAS, so it's not the wifi connection.
My wired PC (on the same router) has internet connection. Alas, I have no other wifi laptop/tablet to see if another device has the same problem.

I thought it could just be the Android browser, but the same happens with Dolphin HD browser.
It also happens when I open another internet app, like Gmail.

I also noticed that an existing connection keeps working, whereas a new one won't. E.g. if I am streaming radio (through TuneiIn app) the radio will continue working, but a browser connection to another website won't. It will take up to 5 minutes or more before the internet connection is established for the browser.

It's quite difficult to pinpoint where exactly the problem lies. Any ideas where to look? Or buy an iPad instead :confused:

Thanks for any ideas.

Ino

inola

Nov 14, 2011
I had an idea yesterday coming home: it could be a DNS problem. I had that before on my PC and there I switched to OpenDNS. So, I installed DNS&Ping to check. It took a while (of course, just when you want it) before the internet connection dropped. Indeed I couldn't ping google.com anymore. However, I could ping the IP address, and also use the IP address directly in the browser.

Time to switch to OpenDNS...