internet connection problem on Eken M001

roymattblack

Jul 21, 2010
Hi there, I'm new here....
I've just got an Eken M001 primarily as a book and comic reader, which I'm very pleased with.
'It does what it says on the tin' as they say.
HOWEVER......
I'd like to get the thing on the web and no matter how I try, I can't!!!
The device needs to be literally on top of my router at home to get ANY signal strength, and it STILL won't connect, despite correct passwords etc.
I've also tried at work, and here, it CAN connect, but when I open a browser, 'page cannot be displayed' is all I get.
No matter what I write in the search bar, the browser seems to default to trying to open Google.
I've cleared cache, cookies, history, everything!
I've updated the firmware and added Dolphin browser but no change.
Am I going wrong somewhere?
Is there a setting that needs tweaking?
PLEASE, someone help with something other than 'get rid of it'.
I've read about lots of people who are happy with the web browsing, but I can't even get ONTO the web!!!
AAARRRGGGHHHH......

Roymattblack.:confused:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
well i dont know if this is your exact problem but i am guessing every router your trying to connect to is password protected, if that is the case try to connect to one thats not password protected (like make your router public and see if that works just to test) that has worked before for several people. and then if that doesnt work it seems like you got a faulty tablet but hopefully that works for you like it has for others

roymattblack

Jul 21, 2010
I can connect using the password etc at work, and my Eken tells me I'm connected. BUT when I open a browser, I get 'page cannot be displayed'.
It's driving me nuts!!!
I've installed a new browser, no difference.
My router at home won't even connect even WITH the password.
Everything else on the Eken works a treat.
Roy.

mattgsx

Jul 20, 2010
What kind of encryption? From similar threads, it doesn't sound like the M001 supports WPA-2 or possibly even WPA? Try unsecuring your router at home and try it that way. Also, check your router at home to see if DHCP is set up and if it's restricting access by MAC Address (should be in MAC Address Filtering).

BTW: If your device doesn't register a MAC address with the router (and several of these devices don't) then even if you "connect", a WPA-enabled router may not properly assign an IP, which results in it looking like you're connected, but the router not allocating you any bandwidth (so it acts like you're not connected for http requests).

Also, are your routers at home/work 802.11n-only routers, or do they also support 802.11b/g connection?

I don't have an M001, but I'm just trying to bring in experience I had with my DS running dsLinux and with older versions of Ubuntu + hacked driver + broadcom chip.

roymattblack

Jul 21, 2010
I had an network manager at work check the machine.
It was faulty. Not only that, the USB didn't work and the tablet kept shutting down unexpectedly.
I sent it back and paid a bit more for an Archos 7!!!!
Thanks everyone anyway.
Roy.