iPad Accounts for 89% of Worldwide Web Traffic, 97% of US

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
by Parth Dhebar | 23rd Jun 2011 |

comscorenoncomputertrafficmay11.jpg
A new report by comScore, details a new metric for tracking web traffic by device and connection type. According to the report, iPad was responsible for 89% of worldwide tablet traffic in May, continuing to dominate the market it defined last year.

The iPad is currently the dominant tablet device across all geographies, contributing more than 89 percent of tablet traffic across all markets. The iPad’s contribution to total non-computer device traffic is highest in Canada (33.5 percent). Brazil has the second highest non-computer device share of traffic coming from the iPad at 31.8 percent, although non-computer devices account for less than 1 percent of total traffic in the country. In Singapore, where non-computer devices comprise nearly 6 percent of total traffic, the iPad accounts for 26.2 percent of this traffic.

The calculations show that the iPad accounted nearly 97% of non-computer traffic share in the United States, and Android taking nearly all of the rest of the market.
In addition, comScore reports that 53% of non-computer device traffic comes from Apple devices: 23.5% from iPhone, 21.8% from iPad, and 7.8% from iPod touch. Android comes in second place with over 36% of the market. Lately, a lot of Android tablets have begun to flood the tablet market but none have been able to break Apple’s dominance on the market.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Isn't this type of data flawed since the basic Android browser default User Agent Sting identifies the device as iPhone and requires the user to understand how to access the Hidden Debug Setting through about:debug to Change the UASting to identify the device as Android?

The User Agent String for Safari on Android
The following User Agent string is used by the web browser included with the Android operating system:
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 0.5; en-us) AppleWebKit/522+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3

As you can see from the user agent string, the web browser is Safari and the operating system is Linux (as Android itself is based on the Linux operating system).
This is based on the same open source WebKit engine used by Apple on browsers that runs on Mac, Windows, iPhone, and iPod.
Citation http://www.infinitezest.com/articles/which-web-browser-is-used-in-android.aspx

Last edited:

Pinkie

Sep 14, 2011
And I have a hard time believing that RIM is not a bigger player here too. I know they are hurting and all but a HUGE number of business pros still use their trusty Blackberry's for almost everything. Last few days notwithstanding of course :(. Goes without saying that I am referencing mobile phones and not the Playbook.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Isn't this type of data flawed since the basic Android browser default User Agent Sting identifies the device as iPhone and requires the user to understand how to access the Hidden Debug Setting through about:debug to Change the UASting to identify the device as Android?

Citation http://www.infinitezest.com/articles/which-web-browser-is-used-in-android.aspx

I think you have touched upon the crux. Many times these studies have flaws due to the mechanisms to identify use. In the early days of this sort of metrics,it was hard for the monitors to identify versions of Opera and Mozilla which were set in IE emulation mode to assure compatibility. I won't fully challenge. But I do not believe it either. I can also believe though from some network sniffing, the IPad is noisy when browsing. This is due to the method of how it does a check to verify data blocks