Is a "partial" ROM update a possible fix for a broken factory app?

Brickster

Aug 11, 2012
I previously posted this issue to the ICS and Hacking forums, but have not gotten a response so I’m trying my luck here.
I recently bought a Craig CLP 281a netbook with ICS, and the factory’s apps seem to work properly- with the exception of one I really wanted on a netbook: Smart Office (1.9.2). On launch, this app displays “chathu_ac Presents -eandroidmarket.com” at the bottom of the screen, above a narrow broken colored strip. After a few moments it reverts to the previous screen. This happens whether online or off, and with or without SD inserted.
My initial feeling was that the factory firmware load was corrupted, and Craig tech support suggested doing an “update” using the file(s) from the page linked to their CLP 281a product’s page. But their “Installation Guide” links to a “Page Not Found” , and Craig support sent me instructions for updating with 2.2 ! Even if I might correctly perform the “update” procedure, I don’t know that my firmware wouldn’t afterward contain the exact same flaw / corruption It has now, and I’m hesitant to do anything risky if I didn’t know it would truly fix the problem.
With Explorer I then discovered a “2.apk” of 7.75M listed under Internal Memory with a Smart Office logo. When clicked, it generates a “Replace Application” message”: “This is a system application. Do you still want to replace it? All previous user data will be saved.” Sounds like a possible included fix for the original flawed app, but I don’t want to brick the unit just to find out, even though Craig wants me to “try it and see“.
Hoping someone out there has some idea if a “partial” ROM update is even possible, as I‘m holding off loading any more apps that might just get wiped by a full update.