Is every 7015's WiFi as lame as mine?

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
About ten days into a fourteen-day return policy 7015, and I like everything (except for the missing text in Angry Birds ;)) about it...but the WiFi performance.

Putting it bluntly, reception is spotty 20-25 feet from the router. What's so important about 20-25 feet? That's how far away the living room sofa is.

As a point of reference, our family has three notebooks, all of which work fine from that same distance. My Palm Pre connects with no problems. Hey, I've even got a Squeezebox streaming music player that works flawlessly from that distance.

But, with the Coby, I find that I start up the browser, load up a web page and, halfway through loading it, the "WiFi connection" icon disappears from the top bar and I have to exit to settings and spend a minute or two trying to get a connection again. Eventually, it connects, and I go back to the browser and reload the page...only to have the same thing happen again. And again. And...

Seriously, do I just have a defective 7015? Or is there some way to tweak the WiFi so it performs better? Because this device seems to be ideal for many of my purposes (especially serving as an e-reader), and most of the other locally-available tablets are 10.1" units which I think might be too large, but, if I can't use WiFi reliably from what really isn't that far away, I'm going to have to return this and go with something like a gTablet at 2.5 times the price. Can this relationship be saved? :confused:

Joey1320

Nov 26, 2010
I have had not one problem with my wifi, sorry. I have used 4 different connections with no issues either.

I would try to get it replaced if possible.
Good luck!

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Antenna design of the router has a big impact on transmission. I have the D-Link DIR-655 that uses three antenna and I can go anywhere in the house and still receive a strong signal. I have not experienced dropped connections.
I don't think you can compare the Wi-FI of different products, each have there own strengths and weaknesses.
You should have a very good signal only 20-25 feet away.
Maybe you have a dud. I know other people have indicated poor performance on Wi-Fi but maybe they had inferior router antenna.

Jimbotronics

Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

Fairly new Belkin wireless-N router here (two antennas), and the Coby's connection is perfect everywhere in my house. I'd estimate the distance from my second story office (where the router is located) to my favorite recliner in the first floor great room to be at least 45 feet, and I usually have at least two bars showing on the Coby's wireless signal strength meter. From past experience, though, mileage varies enormously with various wifi brands and their countless interactions.

Since you have multiple reference standards to compare the Coby against, sounds like you have either a defective tablet or a compatibility problem. I'd suspect the latter from my reasonably extensive experience with wireless gadgets.

rossjhsn

Dec 28, 2010
I have had similar low wifi strength on two7015's and my boss said his Coby dropped wifi too. My solution? I went to Frys and bought first one and then a second 802.11n wireless routers as access points and put one in the livivg room and the other under our bed. They cost $29.95 each but now i have big signal everywhere.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Cutty1

Dec 18, 2010
WOW ...I've been in my Car Across the Road from a Wifi Hotspot Say (A football Field) away and I had no Problem connecting to the Wifi....
Maybe like the Others Said Replace it and try with another...

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I've had no problems with WiFi either. I would try another router.

Pollydroid

Jan 13, 2011
i seemed to have a simalar problem with my 7015. Move the antenna from the router some. i now have at least 2 rooms with great wi fi in my 2 story home. i was almost laughed at in (Staples store) for trying there wi fi connection. Yes the tec was not impressing me with my new Kyros connectablity. Even though i did get on the internet there. So far i really like my learning tab. If you have the extra money go for a trade up.

hardcorehavok

Jan 29, 2011
The wifi on my kyros varies. In my house, my router is in the living room which is about 50 feet away. My wifi indicator has one of three bars. Not bad but not great. However, I took it to my mother's house today and picked up her neighbor's wifi. I can't do that with my laptop.

Muttz

Oct 5, 2010
I had the same problem with both of my tablets. (Coby 7015 and the Witstech). This seemed to help for both of them.

Go to Settings. Click Wireless & Networks, then Wi-Fi settings. Now, click on the menu button again. You should see Scan and Advanced at the bottom of the screen. Click Advanced, then Wi-Fi sleep policy. Click Never.

I haven't lost my connection since I have changed that setting. It used to drop out every few minutes and yes, that's very annoying.

Hope that this works for you.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
I've had mine about a week now and it seems to read my wifi just fine. I did have trouble setting it up at first but its great now.

Sent from my MID7015