Is it possible to play DVD videos on Galaxy Tab 10.1?

Rutherford

Jun 7, 2011
I have some .vob files copied from DVDs. I’m wondering if I can put these DVD videos to Galaxy Tab 10.1 for watching. Does 2nd gen Samsung Galaxy tab play .vob format?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
.VOB files are way too big of files so it's not really practical. I suggest converting your videos then transfer them over.

DVD Catalyst is probably the best software you can get. It's only $9.95 compared to other software that are way over priced IMO.

If you do decide to get it, use the "Xoom" profile. DVD Catalyst is also a supporting vendor in many of our forums and is around to give help.

D

dvdcatalyst

.VOB files are way too big of files so it's not really practical. I suggest converting your videos then transfer them over.

DVD Catalyst is probably the best software you can get. It's only $9.95 compared to other software that are way over priced IMO.

If you do decide to get it, use the "Xoom" profile. DVD Catalyst is also a supporting vendor in many of our forums and is around to give help.

Thanks Wicked,

I think with RockPlayer it might be possible to play vob files on the tab (or other Android tablets) since they are basically MPEG2 video files, but they are quite large, and because of the official DVD specifications, your movie will be split into multiple 1GB portions. If you convert your DVDs to MP4 format, you can reduce the filesize at least by 4 without noticeable quality-loss, and your movie ends up in one file.

andy10

Oct 20, 2011
Thanks Wicked,

I think with RockPlayer it might be possible to play vob files on the tab (or other Android tablets) since they are basically MPEG2 video files, but they are quite large, and because of the official DVD specifications, your movie will be split into multiple 1GB portions. If you convert your DVDs to MP4 format, you can reduce the filesize at least by 4 without noticeable quality-loss, and your movie ends up in one file.

I agree with you that the vob files will occupy much space of the Tab's hard disk if users play vob movies with RockPlayer directly, but i don't think there will be "without noticeable quality-loss" after compressing a vob file to a mp4 file whose size is a quarter of the original, that's impossible !

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
there are some players can play vob videos, such as moboplayer, qq player etc. but vob is a container format. it can contain different audio and video codec, in other words, we can't be sure all the vob videos can be played by players. so i think you'd better convert these vob videos to h.264 mp4, this format is liked by galaxy tab 10.1