JB kernel Source

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Really? Finally? Yay!! I am going to check it probably when i have less homework to do :D Thank you for the info!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just got home from wrestling, ran config through code, built a kernel haven't tested it, just wanted to see if source would build a kernel, the source needs a couple modifications, after that, the source will produce a kernel, will test kernel tomorrow, going to be now.

Code:
LD [M]  drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko
  LD [M]  drivers/usb/serial/baseband_usb_chr.ko
  LD [M]  net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
  LD [M]  net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
  LD [M]  net/wireless/lib80211.ko
  AS      arch/arm/boot/compressed/piggy.gzip.o
  LD      arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux
  OBJCOPY arch/arm/boot/zImage
  Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
598 blocks

repacked boot image written at /media/b3c1b0c9-f22f-4de2-b8ee-32179fa3e787/vampirefo/lenovo/boot.img-ramdisk_FILES1-repack.img
vampirefo@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:/media/b3c1b0c9-f22f-4de2-b8ee-32179fa3e787/vampirefo/lenovo$

I just flashed kernel to see if it would boot, kernel works just fine.

Last edited:

ownjoouk

Feb 24, 2013
Anybody willing to try and get CM10.1 running now we have the source?

I recall from my optimus 2x days that tegra chipsets are a pain, but what are the chances of getting something up and running?

Infact - if I put a poll in the cyanogenmod forums I wonder how many people would vote?

If we can prove the popularity of it we may get a maintainer.

Last edited:

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Just got home from wrestling, ran config through code, built a kernel haven't tested it, just wanted to see if source would build a kernel, the source needs a couple modifications, after that, the source will produce a kernel, will test kernel tomorrow, going to be now.

Code:
598 blocks

repacked boot image written at /media/b3c1b0c9-f22f-4de2-b8ee-32179fa3e787/vampirefo/lenovo/boot.img-ramdisk_FILES1-repack.img
vampirefo@vampirefo-GA-MA78GM-US2H:/media/b3c1b0c9-f22f-4de2-b8ee-32179fa3e787/vampirefo/lenovo$

That is a good thing to hear!! Looking forward to see your custom kernel that complied with JB source :D

doomboss

Jan 17, 2013
Anybody willing to try and get CM10.1 running now we have the source?

I recall from my optimus 2x days that tegra chipsets are a pain, but what are the chances of getting something up and running?

Infact - if I put a poll in the cyanogenmod forums I wonder how many people would vote?

If we can prove the popularity of it we may get a maintainer.

I believe some people are getting their hand on developing CM10 for our tablet already.

https://github.com/A2109devs/android_device_lenovo_a2109a

But I am not sure about the detail. I also read a comment somewhere i dont remember that, the developer are waiting for some kind of approve. This information is not 100% accurate because i could understanded it wrong :p

ownjoouk

Feb 24, 2013
I believe some people are getting their hand on developing CM10 for our tablet already.

https://github.com/A2109devs/android_device_lenovo_a2109a

But I am not sure about the detail. I also read a comment somewhere i dont remember that, the developer are waiting for some kind of approve. This information is not 100% accurate because i could understanded it wrong :p

I hope that is the case! Would love to see CM 10 on this tablet.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
This is great news! I wish I could learn kernel development but its turning out to be to complicated for me. I'm trying to learn little bits at a time but I'm glad that at least your working on it and know what your doing.

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
Hi vampirefo, you are talking about that the source needs a couple modifications.
Could you please share this? Or telling what you are mean with this modifications?
Thanks,
Andreas

Code:
598 blocks

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi vampireinfo, you are talking about that the source needs a couple modifications.
Could you please share this? Or telling what you are mean with this modifications?
Thanks,
Andreas

I use a custom built linaro toolchain 'arm-lenovo-linux-gnueabi', I had to modify the makefile to allow the toolchain's optimal flags. The source is unable to build wifi module, so I removed the module as it causes build problems. To me it appears Lenovo chose not to include the necessary code to correctly compile the wifi module.

AndreasWatch

Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for your fast reply.
Could you please tell me what is special with the toolchain?

I use a custom built linaro toolchain 'arm-lenovo-linux-gnueabi', I had to modify the makefile to allow the toolchain's optimal flags. The source is unable to build wifi module, so I removed the module as it causes build problems. To me it appears Lenovo chose not to include the necessary code to correctly compile the wifi module.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for your fast reply.
Could you please tell me what is special with the toolchain?

linaro toolchains are more up to date, they use 4.7 gcc, they have a lot of optimize flags, and tweaks, you get more from the toolchain when you compile android then you get from just the kernel, but even at kernel level the kernels perform better than google compiler, I think google is switching to linaro toolchains anyway. Linaro Toolchain Being Merged To Android (AOSP) And CyanogenMod - AndroidPIT

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Do you think we will ever see cm on our device or do you think that is a pipe dream. Also vampirefo I read somewhere that the one x which runs tegra 3 has a kernel that raises the GPU level to run games better. Its here. [GUIDE+TOOLS] v11.5 ¦ How To Easily Maximize One X Tegra 3 Game performance - root - xda-developers you think this is something our tegra is capable of in your custom kernel?

CM is being worked on and will be on our devices. as far as one x I haven't looked into it yet, so can't say.

ownjoouk

Feb 24, 2013
That's great news. Is there an informative thread somewhere regarding development? I notice none in the development forum.

I realise you are a busy man but If you get a chance to look at the tegra gpu that would be great. I notice some stutter from higher end games sometimes which sounds similar to the one x issue. It would make our tablets fly!