Jelly Bean Upgrade Failed, "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped" error

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
On my Acer A700 I upgraded to Jelly Bean last night. Everything went fine, however, now whenever I start up the tablet I get a, "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped", error.

This occurs during "boot-up" (about 10 times in a row, very annoying), when I assume it's trying to sync, it also occurs in the Control Panel -> Accounts -> Google, and the Google Play store does not work at all (no doubt as it can't access Google account).

Model - A700
Android - 4.1.1
Kernel 3.1.10+
Image Version - Acer_AV051_A700_RV10RC02_PA_CA
Build Version - Acer_AV051_A700_1.038.00_PA_CA
Image P/N - FM.S1MAO.03H

Aside from the "Google Account Manager" error the tablet works much better - faster, smoother, cooler and better response. gReader Pro an my K-9 mail sync fine.

Any thoughts?, should I delete my Google account and recreate?

EW

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
btw - Got a response from Acer - basically to put it back to factory defaults. lol, the email didn't even mention doing - oh simple things like - backups first - crazy! If someone with no/little computer experience got that email and followed it they would loose everything - there are NO warning at all about loss of data and so on.

I'm doing a backup now to one of my drives, will backup the microSD card next and will re-install the OS if I can't find a dimple solution - got 2 backup tablets anyways. There's likely a simpler way to fix this - I'll try flushing a cache first, however, sometimes it's nice to refresh the OS anyways.

EW

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
...Just completed my re-install. Same comments as most on Jelly Bean - very fast, very smooth, corner sensitivity issue fixed, missed-taps issue corrected, less heat. brighter screen (seems to me), screen seems to scroll much faster/smoother, more options especially in the control panel and everything runs faster.

Compared to my Gateway G60 (Acer A500) it was already very fast - now - it's super fast. The A700 is much thinner and easier to hold then the G60/A500, and battery life is much better.

Great I picked up a A700 before when sales were poor (everyone waiting for the Asus TF700, or worried the "problems". While the A700 was on sale for $370.00 (Canada) and I got a $200 discount on top of this (so I paid $170), the TF700 is/was $499 (plus taxes). So Acer/Android have done a great job in addressing all the issues and I saved a bundle with the Acer as (like previous products) they kept upgrades going. MO, the A700 with better build quality was a better (and much cheaper) choice then the Asus TF700. Both are excellent products - aimed at different parts of the market.

For backups, I did a backup to my network, the microSD card, OTA cloud service. I also configure all my tablets the same way - so I just "copy" the setup visually. This way if one tablet is down the others are the same (in appearance) so there is no learning curve.

EW

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
Sheesh a million hours later, everything is in and just perfect and now I find out Bluetooth does NOT work. Back to Acer tech - I hope they don't say re install it all - again.

EW

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
I figured it out, and updated Acer. In case anyone else gets it here is the cause:

".. I think I solved it. I re-installed Jelly Bean 4.1.1 a second time, tested and confirmed that Bluetooth was working. I then installed applications 1 panel at a time, testing after each panel/group. Once I got the range of applications where Bluetooth failed, I then removed one application at a time until I got it working and isolated the one at fault.

I have one more test to run, but it looks like it was caused by "Equalizer" by "Smart Android Apps, LLC".

I can give more specifics if you require it for your help-desk database (for others users). Google Play shows about 30,000+ downloads of his, likely, you'll run across this again. .."

EW