JellyBean Tips and Tricks

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I pulled some tidbits from around the interwebz that I have run across to help users get up to speed with Android 4.X. Most of this applies to ICS, but JB should be similar enough that it will roll over.

First, for those who are completely green to Android, here are some links:

Ok, Android intro over, and now on to some more OS specific items (most of these are Ice Cream Sandwich but will apply to JellyBean as well):

Feature changes from previous OS's (Gingerbread and Honeycomb)

Stock changes:
  • Widgets relocated with apps -- apps button (top right home screen), Widgets tab
  • Right click functionality changed -- see settings
  • Apps stackable into nameable folders on home screen - drag one app onto another
  • Data usage statistics/controls added to settings
  • Stock browser has an option under the menu to "Request desktop site" which refreshes page with desktop version if possible
  • Ability to access camera/camera apps added to lock screen
  • Running/recent apps dismissed with a swipe left or right
  • Tap once in Clock app to dim screen
  • Ability to zoom in video recording mode of camera app added
  • Effects mode added to video recording
  • Panoramic picture taking added to still camera
  • Settings icon changed (beware "hey, where'd it go!")
  • Access Camera from Lock Screen (Swipe left for camera, right to unlock)
  • Face Unlock with Blink to verify person is real*
  • Panoramic Camera Mode
  • Spell Check with error underlines built into the OS, works in most all apps (including browser, office apps, etc.) Tap red underlines for suggestions
  • Create folders on the home screens by dragging and dropping an app on top of another. Name the folder as you wish.
  • Google Now searching*
  • Offline Voice Typing*
  • Better predictive typing with the Android Keyboard*
  • Revamped camera UI with easy access to photos and filmstrip views*
  • Play Store Updates on downloads changed files (saves average of 66% of data downloads)*
  • Dynamically resizing/moving widgets (widgets automatically make room for themselves on a home screen and resize if necessary)*
  • New Fonts and languages*
  • Stock web browser is Chrome*

Notification changes:
  • Tapping any notification now brings up all notifications (+control panel on Prime)
  • An X below the notification panel will clear out all notifications
  • Notifications no longer closed with an X, swipe left or right to dismiss
  • Expandable notifications (get more info from each notification) with a pinch.*
* - New since ICS​

Revised 5-Jul-2012 - Added Chrome and Nexus 7 Guidebook.

Astrix

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 7, 2012
Wow...this will be great tips!

Thank you sir...subscribed :)

barmar

Jul 15, 2012
Great info, thanks!! I'm a newbie and still doing some research on which tablet to buy---hard to keep up as the game changes almost daily with new tablets coming on scene. Really like the look/build of the Infinity 700 but will folks be able to update the OS to Android 4.1 and beyond going forward or are we 'stuck' with 4.0 which still looks pretty good.
Thanks, B

Astrix

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 7, 2012
Welcome to the forum barmar :)

If you like 7inch tablet..go for Google Experience Device (GED) like latest will be Nexus 7. Affordable and with latest Jelly bean.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Great info, thanks!! I'm a newbie and still doing some research on which tablet to buy---hard to keep up as the game changes almost daily with new tablets coming on scene. Really like the look/build of the Infinity 700 but will folks be able to update the OS to Android 4.1 and beyond going forward or are we 'stuck' with 4.0 which still looks pretty good.
Thanks, B

Welcome to the forum!

No official word on the TF700, but considering the TF101 went from 3.0 to 4.0.3 so far, I would say the TF700 will almost definitely get 4.1.

AndroidBenjie

Oct 27, 2012
Is a great and informative post. I am new member here and i have my new android phone last week and love to know lot of stuff about this android phone(Samsung S3) and i am on the right place to learn new things about my phone.

myzoo

Apr 6, 2011
Just ordered the Ployer Momo 8 read the wifi has issues with Jellybean can anyone confirm If so is there a fix fairly new and like a lot of the folks here there are so many and the choices are a bit over welming. Waiting on new tablet know you guys( and girls will help me out
Thanking you all in advance Jaye
EFEEL Ployer MOMO8-16G 8" IPS Dual Core 1.6GHZ Capacitive Screen 1024x768 RK3066 1GB/16GB DDR3 Android4.1 Wifi+Bluetooth+Camer.
any comments ..

raju201239

Mar 23, 2012
Not so familiar with Android Jelly Bean OS. Hoping these tips & tricks will help me in learning features of this newest version of Android.

thattabguy

Jan 2, 2013
These are great. Plus Jellybean is just plain faster, smoother, more buttery. Add to that all the custom roms available for it, and you can pretty much do anything you want with your device.

Sandancer

Jan 11, 2013
Is it available for Elonex Etouch 765et running android 2.3.1, I have rooted it but can not find any roms or firmware for it can somebody please tell me where i can find it, the tech guys at Elonex have told me it is upgradable..... Thank You

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
From their Support page:

How do i upgrade my eTouch 765ET V2 to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich?

There is currently no upgrade available. If and when this changes details will be posted here on this support page. If you have any other questions, or want some advice please contact our helpdesk via email or phone on 0871 222 3456.

The V1 can't even be upgraded to Gingerbread:

How do i upgrade my eTouch 765ET to Android 2.3 Gingerbread?
There is currently no upgrade available. If and when this changes details will be posted here on this support page. If you have any other questions, or want some advice please contact our helpdesk via email or phone on 0871 222 3456.

It doesn't sound like there actually is an upgrade available just that the V2 device can be upgraded. Even then you would need to get it from them or their website. Short of that the only way to upgrade would be to use a custom ROM if available for your device, which there does not appear to be.