Jellybean update problems

jarbre

Jul 17, 2012
Updated to Jellybean last night.
Everything went fine. Downloading and installing firmware, updating apps, automatic restarts etc.
But somewhere along the line, something went wrong.
The OS never started up. the tab stayed on the: "ASUS inspiring innovation, persistent perfection" page, with revolving dots, and never finished starting up. first for 1½hours, then I rebooted, same thing, cold reboot, same thing. Even tried the reset pin hole thing.
So now my infinity is stuck like this. I can't turn it off, if I press and hold the power, it just reboots, and hangs at the same place.
Do you have any ideas?
I'm starting to think that a factory reset is the only option from here (even though that will erase all my content). But how do you do that, when you can't get to the OS settings? Is there a thing to do during cold reboot?

The Tab was unstable before the firmware update. Worked ok for a couple of hours, then started to freeze up, and eventually showing blank home screens, force closing the launcher, and eventually self rebooting. This happened 1-2 times a day before updating to JB.

Help is much appreciated.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Allow the battery to die. Then plug it into a running PC for 4-5 hours and see what changes.

Phuljum

Oct 4, 2012
Updated to Jellybean last night.
Everything went fine. Downloading and installing firmware, updating apps, automatic restarts etc.
But somewhere along the line, something went wrong.
The OS never started up. the tab stayed on the: "ASUS inspiring innovation, persistent perfection" page, with revolving dots, and never finished starting up. first for 1½hours, then I rebooted, same thing, cold reboot, same thing. Even tried the reset pin hole thing.
So now my infinity is stuck like this. I can't turn it off, if I press and hold the power, it just reboots, and hangs at the same place.
Do you have any ideas?
I'm starting to think that a factory reset is the only option from here (even though that will erase all my content). But how do you do that, when you can't get to the OS settings? Is there a thing to do during cold reboot?

I'm having the same problem with the Jellybean update - endlessly turning dots and no completed bootup. I've tried rebooting it several times. I'd have to call this an unsuccessful update.

When I plug it into my computer with USB, it's not visible.

I had encrypted the system previously, and the device was working fine with encryption before this firmware update.

The suggestion to just let the battery drain doesn't make sense to me - is there a rationale for that based in fact (eg. is there a known conflict with battery management) or was that just a trial and error suggestion? Has that been known to work for others?

Thanks for any help and useful suggestions.

jarbre

Jul 17, 2012
Hi
I tried exhausting the battery and connecting to a pc. Tab didn't show up.
Succeeded cold-booting (volume down and power hold) and wipe data/factory reset (volume down then volume up to execute). Highly recommended.
Had issues before. Bad performance etc. A reboot took 4-6 minutes. Now it's about 1.30. Even after re installing 140 apps from Asus app backup and some GB of data. Would have been nice if the home screens ui had restored also..
JB works fine. Like the new home bar lock, and other other innovations.
The tablet seem Healthier overall. Except from a thin fast blinking black line across the screen once in a while.
Will wipe data again if I ever get any issues like before.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I'm having the same problem with the Jellybean update - endlessly turning dots and no completed bootup. I've tried rebooting it several times. I'd have to call this an unsuccessful update.

When I plug it into my computer with USB, it's not visible.

I had encrypted the system previously, and the device was working fine with encryption before this firmware update.

The suggestion to just let the battery drain doesn't make sense to me - is there a rationale for that based in fact (eg. is there a known conflict with battery management) or was that just a trial and error suggestion? Has that been known to work for others?

Thanks for any help and useful suggestions.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
When the tablet is in that state it typically would not be seen by the computer. But when that happened to ICS upgrades on previous TF models a complete battery run down and recharge, even partial, usually fixed it.

But glad you're up and running.

For the future, do a hard reset prior to installing any patches and it will help make for a good solid patch. Not a guaranty but much more likely.

Phuljum

Oct 4, 2012
Hi
I tried exhausting the battery and connecting to a pc. Tab didn't show up.
Succeeded cold-booting (volume down and power hold) and wipe data/factory reset (volume down then volume up to execute). Highly recommended.
Had issues before. Bad performance etc. A reboot took 4-6 minutes. Now it's about 1.30. Even after re installing 140 apps from Asus app backup and some GB of data. Would have been nice if the home screens ui had restored also..
JB works fine. Like the new home bar lock, and other other innovations.
The tablet seem Healthier overall. Except from a thin fast blinking black line across the screen once in a while.
Will wipe data again if I ever get any issues like before.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I went ahead and followed jarbre's example. My ASUS Infinity restored perfectly with the JB update all at the same time, and restored apps from Google Play without any hitches. I'm re-encrypting the device now.

(The most time invested was in re-arranging icons and buttons. Has anyone found a good app for restoring the user-customized GUI?).

Phuljum

Oct 4, 2012
Jellybean seems to be incompatible with encryption, on ASUS TF700 Infinity devices at least.

After getting the JB update installed, I tried to re-encrypt, thinking that the cause of problems was that encryption blocked the update but could work again after the update. But after trying to re-encrypt, the exact same original problem returned. I had to repeat the factory restore process. Now I will have to use the device without encryption until I know of a resolution to this issue, which means I won't be comfortable using private information on this device. All my private information will be visible to anyone using only a USB cable if my device is stolen. (How could they issue a JB update that breaks something so essential !?)

Has anyone else encountered this and resolved it?

Update:
I've not resolved this, but found where to let ASUS know about the problem directly. Since it sounds like this is an issue that has affected many, I recommend that others also request attention to this problem by contacting technical support at this link on their support site - it's for requesting technical support by email and online chat is also an option:
http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9

or here:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/cus_suggest.aspx

Last edited:

Christhecaver

Oct 11, 2012
Jellybean seems to be incompatible with encryption, on ASUS TF700 Infinity devices at least.

But after trying to re-encrypt, the exact same original problem returned. I had to repeat the factory restore process.

Has anyone else encountered this and resolved it?

Update:
I've not resolved this, but found where to let ASUS know about the problem directly.

Phuljum,
Exact same problem here:mad:. I just presented the problem to Asus using one of your links. I hope they get it fixed soon.
Chris

Phuljum

Oct 4, 2012
I just got this reply from ASUS tech support:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is >>>>>>>> and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

This is the JellyBean's bug.I have taken notes about this problem and upload to our engineer.The next firmware will solve this bug.
Thank you for contacting ASUS and providing your feedback. Your information has been documented and forwarded to the appropriate contacts for further review and improvement. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us at 888-678-3688 and we will be happy to help you.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
to contact us.

Phuljum

Oct 4, 2012
More about this encryption issue. I just updated to firmware version 10.4.4.18. I asked ASUS support by email whether this update will address the encryption problem because I want to know before trying to re-encrypt.

I got back this reply by email about what's included in the update, and it's not conclusive:

Quote:
The JellyBean update these functions.
(1) App Backup AP upgrade
- Add App Guide feature
(2) Email AP upgrade
- Add threading View feature
- Add Partial download feature
- Add rush hour settings
- Add Out-Of-Office Settings
(3) Weather Widget upgrade
- Add 4-days weather forecast
- Add City List feature
(4) MyLibrary upgrade
- Add PDF annotation feature
(5) System Bar Lock upgrade
- Default enable System Bar Lock
(6) Add Global File Search Feature
(7) Add ASUS MyFrame Live Wallpaper
(8) Add Power Saver settings
(9) Add Screen Saver feature
(10) Add Multiple Photo Selection feature
(11) Support Audio output function for Asus Accessory: Micro HDMI to VGA cable
(12) Not support Adobe Flash
(13) Not support Wifi direct

Has anyone successfully encrypted Jellybean with the last firmware update?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There have been lots of issue with the encryption but as far as I know it has mostly been with TFs that were encrypted prior to the upgrade. That's a nice list but sure doesn't tell the whole story. The app backup update from 600MB to 2GB backups to me is the best.

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
Reading threads regarding the issues relating to installing JB makes me shudder in fear! :eek:

As a matter of fact, I have just received notification today, on my TF700, that the new firmware has been downloaded and ready for installation.
Quick look: it is indeed this dreaded Jelly Bean !

Maybe I have already spent too much time on this forum reading the negatives resulting from a JB-install: tablet bricking, endless looping of the installation process, loss of data such as Google contacts, Sync issues ... and the list goes. Very scary! Espcially for someone like me who will not be able to get out of trouble if anything goes wrong during the process of installing JB.

I am sure I am not the only one fearing this but I had to ask:

1. Is it really worth the trouble to install Jelly Bean at this point in time?
2. Have known issues been fixed?
3. If my TF700 is finally working the way it should (after much learning from this forum, of course), why bother?
4. If I am convinced that it is the way to go (JB), then what preventive steps whould I take before doing so?
Backup? Yes? How?
5. What's the "Plan B" if something goes bezerk?

So, I am going to go back to the forum now and search for stuff I should know about this JB-business.

Thanks in advance for any reply.:)

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The failures on the JB update on the TF 700 have been few in comparison to the total number of JB updates. If you have any apps like Browser ICS or anything else with the name ICS in it, uninstall it. Then do a hard reset and upgrade away. Your chances of a 100% success are very good and JB is a dream.

Last edited:

TF700

Oct 6, 2012
So, I should be looking for anything with an "ICS" in it? I am not sure what you mean.
How do I check for those?

Always helpful, you are!
Thank you.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So, I should be looking for anything with an "ICS" in it? I am not sure what you mean.
How do I check for those?

Always helpful, you are!
Thank you.

If you are unaware of what I'm referring to you're probably in the clear. You probably haven't had your TF long enough to install those apps. There was a camera app and a browser that both had ICS in the name that were better on ICS than older Honeycomb apps that were leftovers, but don't work well on JB for obvious reasons, like it's Jelly Bean. ;)

We really do need to stop meeting like this. ;)