Just bought a 16GB Nexus 7 have I made a BIG mistake..?

miseryguts

Aug 31, 2012
Someone has just suggested the: Ainol Novo 7 Flame.. available at Amazon UK for £119.
Comedy name notwithstanding, this does seem remarkably well featured & dare I say even better value than the Nexus 7.. admittedly I know next to nothing about Android tablets & don't really know how well this tablet stacks up (or doesn't) against the Nexus 7 but hopefully someone can reassure me that I haven't just spent £80 more than I needed to.

Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It comes down to a matter of opinion and preference. You didn't spend more than you needed to, the Nexus 7 is about the best hardware you can get for the money. There are always less main stream options and Ainol is one of those. If you want to go with a Chinese manufacturer you will almost certainly pay less. Chances are you will also be lacking some of the peace of mind and support of a major company (Google) product though. Not to say there is anything wrong with Ainol, by all accounts they are one of the better "off brand" tablets you can go with to the point they are almost a "main stream" tablet company.

At the end of the day Google is Android though. If you want to be sure you have the support you need, the ability to return the device as you need and the ability to update as soon as new versions of Android are available then Nexus 7 is the way to go. Is that worth £80 to you or will it be if you have a problem with an Ainol that you can't resolve?

miseryguts

Aug 31, 2012
Fair point & well made.
I guess the peace of mind is worth the extra £80 I've paid.. (at least to me) & I've just realised that the Nexus 7 has a significantly better processor than the Ainol.