Just Picked Mine Up

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Yet again, I find myself with a tablet without a large following on AT.net, me thinks. :)

I'll post thoughts after I've had a chance to get it fully charged and mess around on it.

For anyone interested, root is already available, and there are a TON of good accessories through third party vendors. Currently there is a petition with MIME to get some high quality glass screen protectors for the device as well.

From my hands-on with this and a 10.1 (2014), I have to say I feel the handwriting and drawing accuracy are much better on the Pro. Obviously I was impressed enough to part with a good chunk of cash.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Yet again, I find myself with a tablet without a large following on AT.net, me thinks. :)

And whose fault do you suppose that is?:rolleyes:

At least we'll get to follow your adventures with something other than the A700 now.:cool:

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
So far, I've been handling it with supreme care and keeping my old tablet as the worker-bee until I get a case.

I had to abandon TouchWiz almost immediately. I've never used a Samsung device, but I'm shocked that this is the interface they chose. It is slow and cluttered. The Magazine thing is just a big set of widgets...very few of which are useful to regular people. Plus, there are widgets that do it better and cleaner already available.

As for the bundled software, the Samsung apps are fantastic at what they do, and Hancom Office is AMAZING. It is just like using Microsoft Office XP with nods toward 2007. I am impressed with all of that stuff. It's the other things that seem pretty worthless...I don't need NYT subscription, and the majority of the other freebies are business oriented so much that I will never encounter a need for them. Things I did take advantage of are the Evernote and Dropbox upgrades. Very nice. Also the $25 Google credit was good.

As soon as I get all my apps set up and the thing ready to create a useful backup I will be rooting and "freezing" a lot of the bloat. Can't wait for some custom ROMs to come. Took me a while to appreciate it, but I'd love to see CM11 or PacMan.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I suspect that your disenchantment with TouchWiz is because that OS was initially designed for phones and is blown up to use on tablets. I have it on my GALAXY SIII and it doesn't bother me. Pure Google is only available on Nexus devices.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Rooted last night and froze a lot of the bloat. This is pretty much the perfect tablet for me. I've got no buyers remorse at all.