Just what will the mini-USB's support on the 7" panels?

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Hiya,

On the 7" tabs we have 2xmini-usb ports and no ethernet port.
One OTG port - for firmware upgraded via a PC, the other for connecting USB storage/pen drives and the like, to transfer data.
Unfortunately as we know, this latter mini-usb won't support a direct connection to a PC, which makes its use limited.

However I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combi working very nicely through this port. So clearly there is a driver that supports a keyboard.

So the question is - what other devices can be linked through these ports?
I have tried a usb<->rj45/cat5 connector to try and get the ethernet hardwired for overnight docking/ip camera monitoring. But this does not appear to work.
I assume this is all down to what drivers the ports do/don't have.

Is anyone able to confirm what these ports can be used for.

Thanks,

MD

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I tried a USB Wireless dongle... no go out of the box. I need to break down the driver and see if I can install it or maybe find a "hardwired driver" dongle like you use for xboxes.

They dont support charging, which I think is a waste and I havent tried headphones yet. All the M-USB headphones I have are the one "square sided" ones that I got with my HTC phones and not the normal M-USB type, so I haven't got to try that yet either.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I know that it will support Wireless keyboard & mice.

I tried an old Logitech webcam but that didn't work. I need to get a newer one anyhow, so I'll see if something newer works with it.

jam365

Jun 27, 2011
So far i have a 4 port usb hub running the kb I'm typing on plus a 100GB usb hdd and various pen drives and usb card adapters. I would like to hook up my webcam but so far no joy.

Sent from my p7901a using Android Tablet Forum

lorenii

May 2, 2011
It all goes back to drivers. If you can strip the .inf file from the windows driver and come up with a workable ndisgtk ndiswrapper like ubuntu uses, we could probably have a lot more toys like GPS, cameras, ethernet....etc.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
It all goes back to drivers. If you can strip the .inf file from the windows driver and come up with a workable ndisgtk ndiswrapper like ubuntu uses, we could probably have a lot more toys like GPS, cameras, ethernet....etc.

Someone said they looked at the files system and saw both bluetooth and gps drivers already built in. If that's the case, really all we should need to do is hook an external device for those services, at least, for the GPS I would think. Course I'm still on about the idea of adding a GPS chip and antenna inside if that can be done...

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I tried hooking up my earthmate BT20 (not through BT, but through hardwire) and it recognized I had something hooked up, but never could tell what it was.

I also have a BT dongle that I am going to mess with and see if I can get it to work.

(EDIT: I tried the BT dongle and it paired with the GPS, but wouldnt ever do anything else)

Last edited:

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
so, after connecting the gps unit, you tried opening Google mapsand getting a location fix?

lorenii

May 2, 2011
No. I could never get it (the GPS unit) to stop searching for connection.

I never tried opening Google maps. I will try it when I get it back.