Kernel with CIFS (samba share mount) support ?

elvis56

Jun 6, 2011
I got my Indeos s7 a few days ago and so far I really like it. However one thing I would really like to see, a kernel with CIFS support. Using CIFS manager you can then mount network shares under any folder. This enables ALL applications to read directly from network shares which is great for playing videos, viewing images and playing music.

Any kernel wizards hanging around here? CIFS manager thread is HERE

JFer

Dec 19, 2010
check: ES file explorer, you can explore the phones, PCs in LAN, Remote, Bluetooth, and FTP servers!!.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
check: ES file explorer, you can explore the phones, PCs in LAN, Remote, Bluetooth, and FTP servers!!.

I had issues with ES file explorer and streaming movies or opening pictures from a samba share or windows share. I have a 5TB NAS at home that is full of movies and television shows. I tried to find ways to stream this media to my S7 when I had it. I'd recommend checking out ORB or PlayOn for streaming until someone makes a kernel with this function. You might also try posting this into Development where there are people developing custom kernels.

elvis56

Jun 6, 2011
I got my Indeos s7 a few days ago and so far I really like it. However one thing I would really like to see, a kernel with CIFS support. Using CIFS manager you can then mount network shares under any folder. This enables ALL applications to read directly from network shares which is great for playing videos, viewing images and playing music.

Any kernel wizards hanging around here? CIFS manager thread is HERE

browsing/exploring the shares isn't the problem, but with a kernel with CIFS support you can mount a share as a folder on your sdcard so all programs can acces the files on the share.