Kid Friendly tablet andriod around $100

mlanglois77

Dec 12, 2011
Need help deciding on which tablet to purchase for my kids....need to be able to play games, esp Angry Birds..watch movies and videos...get on the web...and would like a camera to skype with family. Looking at some Coby ones...but not sure which is the best one to buy...Please HELP....

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Hi mlanglois77,

Welcome to the board, glad you could join us. I am not sure you can skype with the Coby's in that price range, or the newer ones either for that matter. I think it's dependent on the OS and maybe the hardware too, I can't remember. Also, I don't think you can play angry birds on the Coby's in that price range too well. Not sure that any tablet for $100 will though, however they can play media quite well. I am not sure but if you're looking for a 10" tablet you might try the LePan TC970 it has a lot of great features, and Walmart has it for just about twice what you said your budget was for a tablet. There is also the Coby MID1125 that's a 10" tablet for a little over that. If you can live with a 7" tablet the cost for a coby with a capacitive touch screen drops to about $170. Though Toys R Us has the Coby MID7022 for $179 and they have a coupon right now for $15 off $100. Not sure if any of this helps, but I would definitely think twice about spending only $100 and getting a tablet your kids will be frustrated with using for their favorite games. I was looking at one Coby, the MID7127 and amazon has it for $169 as of last night when I checked. Both the 7022 and 7127 are 7" tablets but have the better touch screen and I have heard they play Angry Birds nicely. Google the model's and check out Youtube for videos on each, I think there is one of the 7022 playing Angry Birds, so do some research and you should be able to find what you seek.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas of a cheaper route to go, but I think with the repetition of Angry Birds playing it would wear out a resistive screen much faster then one might expect. So I would recommend going with an little more expensive of a tablet in exchange for less frustration in the long run. Hope this helps. :)

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Need help deciding on which tablet to purchase for my kids....need to be able to play games, esp Angry Birds..watch movies and videos...get on the web...and would like a camera to skype with family. Looking at some Coby ones...but not sure which is the best one to buy...Please HELP....

Hi mlanglois77, welcome to the forum.
personally, i would suggest you to have a look at the Zenithink C71,it's a worthwhile device, can meet all your requirements and can support Skype video chat!, but you need to spend a little more than your budget. It's $149.9 with shipping in our site.
And if your kid is under 10 year, this cheap 7" android 2.3 tablet PC for $88 with shipping also be a good choice: Cheap 7 inch android 2.3 OS Tablet PC with Infomix CUP and Dual Core 800Mhz - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
hope you find what you want, good luck!:)

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
In tablets, you get what you pay for. The <$100 hardware doesn't have the oomph needed to run certain games. If you get a Chinese Shanzhai tablet, you're buying an unsupported, unofficial device. You have to be prepared to be your own support department. If you're techy or tinkery enough, that might not bother you & might actually increase your enjoyment by being able to tinker. If you want to take a tablet out of the box & have it do all you want right out of the box, you're going to spend more cash.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

mavenik

Dec 13, 2011
I'm glad someone is looking for the same type deal. My son wanted a DSI, but I'm thinking of getting him a tablet instead --- The games for the DSI are about $20-40 each so my thinking is an android tablet would be better. Am I correct to say as long as we download the app when we have wireless internet, he can play the games on it even if there is no wireless connection? I have to say I'm not very knowledgeable on tablets at all. I know he likes the apps on my droid phone so I'm trying to find something that gives him the same option...

THANKS!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
I'm glad someone is looking for the same type deal. My son wanted a DSI, but I'm thinking of getting him a tablet instead --- The games for the DSI are about $20-40 each so my thinking is an android tablet would be better. Am I correct to say as long as we download the app when we have wireless internet, he can play the games on it even if there is no wireless connection? I have to say I'm not very knowledgeable on tablets at all. I know he likes the apps on my droid phone so I'm trying to find something that gives him the same option...

THANKS!

That is correct. Almost all games (I say almost because there are/may be some games that are specifically online multiplayer) will work "offline". One of the games that my kids downloaded onto their tablet even supports local multiplayer. I don't recall the name of it, but it is like a Dungeon & Dragons/World of Warcraft type RPG. When they are home and connected via WiFi, they can play multiplayer with one another over the LAN.

mavenik

Dec 13, 2011
Is there any requirements/specs that I MUST have besides something that runs an android operating system? I've been trying to read up on everything, but I don't need all of the bells and whistles, just something he can play apps and occasionally get on the internet... are one's i'm seeing for $80-100 workable or do i really need to spend the 150-200?

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
Hmm, jsut read an article "iPad Tops Kids’ Holiday Wish Lists" in Enolsoft blog, said according to Nielsen’s annual holiday gift survey, 44 percent of kids aged 6 to 12 say they would be interested in getting the Apple tablet sometime in the next six months.

That sounds about right, considering the number of the threads on here just in the past few weeks asking for advice about what tablet to get for Christmas......and probably a small percentage of people looking for tablets actually end up on this site, let alone signing up and posting.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
That sounds about right, considering the number of the threads on here just in the past few weeks asking for advice about what tablet to get for Christmas......and probably a small percentage of people looking for tablets actually end up on this site, let alone signing up and posting.

The problem is that most parents do not want to hand their 6-10 year old a $500-700 tablet. They come looking for $100 tablets, which are sorely lacking in functionality compared to mom/dad's smartphone and are a downright joke compared to an iPad or Xoom. Or, they buy one of those $100 tablets at Big Lots or Walgreens and come here wanting to know if it will do this or that. And that's the few who take the time to seek us out, register and post. How many more parents are simply going to wrap that $100 discount tablet up and put it under the tree and be blindsided on Christmas morning with a kid who wants to play Angry Birds and a tablet that won't?

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
The problem is that most parents do not want to hand their 6-10 year old a $500-700 tablet. They come looking for $100 tablets, which are sorely lacking in functionality compared to mom/dad's smartphone and are a downright joke compared to an iPad or Xoom. Or, they buy one of those $100 tablets at Big Lots or Walgreens and come here wanting to know if it will do this or that. And that's the few who take the time to seek us out, register and post. How many more parents are simply going to wrap that $100 discount tablet up and put it under the tree and be blindsided on Christmas morning with a kid who wants to play Angry Birds and a tablet that won't?

And unfortunately, those will be the same people that will complain and blame the OS for not working properly. That's why I jumped on the opportunity when Best Buy started discounting tablets well below $300 for the holidays. I wasn't willing to pay $400-$500 for a tablet (especially if I needed to get 5 for everyone in the family), not when we all have Android smartphones and notebook computers. However, $230-$270 (the prices I ended up paying) made it an affordable luxury.

While I could have saved more money by going cheap and spending the time to root/sideload/etc. to give them full functionality, it was worth the extra money to me to have them work as I want them to right out of the box.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Exactly. They'll be the ones posting negative reviews everywhere because they don't understand the product they bought. Yes, I could have bought last year. I could have bought much cheaper and tinkered until they were customized to my liking. I paid just a tiny bit more and got vastly improved hardware and user experience out of the box. I spent ~$180 each with Best Buy's fantastic BF sales. I'm very, very pleased with what I got. The kids will not be getting new tablets until whatever is after the Tegra 3 processor.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
This is why I ended up buying my 6 year old a 3ds instead of a tablet for now. It will play games, ended up being $110 after sale/gift card to target and picked up a 2 games for it from best buy for $15 combined with free shipping. I know he won't be playing angry birds (which he loves and the reason I was looking for a tablet so dh can get his phone back), but this is going to be able to be used right out of the box, has a camera (2 actually to take 3d photos) and made for kids and adults. My older son(13) has had a ds for 6 years now and it is still going strong after being dropped hundreds of times. Knowing my older son a tablet would be put through the same abuse and probably not fair as well these things do break. My younger son is more responsible with his things so it may not be put through so much abuse by him. He is very good with dh's phone.
That being said they have birthdays in feb and march so I am hoping to get them tablets then, hopefully prices will go down and I will get a good deal.
I am pretty sure that since I don't want to spend $200 on one for me I will be waiting to get one for myself also (dh's Christmas gift for me), but I am willing to spend more on one for me since I will use it a lot and take care of it.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
I don't know that the 3DS is such a great idea. I had a look at it in Best Buy and it gave me a headache pretty quickly. I decided to skip it. My younger two are getting otterboxes for their Dell tablets, though. That'll make them a bit more drop-resistant. I haven't found anything like that for the Acer though.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I don't know that the 3DS is such a great idea. I had a look at it in Best Buy and it gave me a headache pretty quickly. I decided to skip it. My younger two are getting otterboxes for their Dell tablets, though. That'll make them a bit more drop-resistant. I haven't found anything like that for the Acer though.
I am kicking myself that I didn't wait and just get the nook color and cm7 card for him.
I did get the nook color for me refurbed for $130