kindle fire question

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
hey all iam thinking of buying a fire all i will be useing it for is doing some web surfing and stuff like that
i do own a desktop and i dont have a laptop. i just need something i can carry around the house and use while sitting around. i dont want to spend a lot of money

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
A question or two before you buy.
Do you have any thoughts of GPS?
Will you be wanting a camera for video chats?
Want to add memory?
The KF does not have GPS, camera or mic, does not have a USB card slot for expanding memory. And without jumping through hoops you can not install the Android Market on it.
If all this is ok with you then the KF will probably be a good device for you. If it is not I suggest something like the Vizio Vtab 1008. It is 15 to 20 dollars cheaper and it has GPS, a front facing camera and mic, the camera is only 1.3mp but it has one. It has a USB expansion slot, and hdmi out port. The screen is also one inch larger, I know that may not sound like much but to look at them side by side it is.
I have both devices, on the KF now but I prefer the Vizio for its slightly larger size and ease of use.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
thanks do you have any links for the Vizio Vtab 1008.also i dont need gps i dont need a camara.
i will check them both out more thanks

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The Nook Color retail price has just been lowered to $169, and rooted it is a capable tablet as well with a huge user/knowledge base. Still, I think the Kindle Fire is a solid tablet that is quite easy to learn and use, has a great screen and decent battery life.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Personally I think there are better options than the Fire. Two good ones have been mentioned here that cost less than the Fire and are more capable. I have both and would recommend either over the Fire based on (in no particular order) price, additional options not found on the Fire (camera, gps, sd card slot, root/boot options, etc.) and the communities backing each of the other two devices.

JP

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
thanks all thats a great price for the nook color its only 169 and now they have a nook thats 199 which is better. but i will check them out tomorrw at the store

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
thanks all thats a great price for the nook color its only 169 and now they have a nook thats 199 which is better. but i will check them out tomorrw at the store

Just be aware that the Nook Tablet is not as open as the Nook Color and does not yet (and may never) have the same level of developer and user support as the Nook Color.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
thanks do you have any links for the Vizio Vtab 1008.also i dont need gps i dont need a camara.
i will check them both out more thanks

The only link I have is to the Amazon page and it is to hi there. I bought mine from WalMart for 185.00 or so and people post on the forum prices as low as 165.00, not sure what sights, maybe Woot.com
Vizio 8-inch LED 4 GB Android Tablet (Refurbished) w/ free Folio Case for $169.00 + free shipping - electronics, tablet, android - Deals.Woot
Members find these tables all over at good prices. Maybe if your interested you can start a thread asking people to post links to sights.