Last Chance for Oysters Tablet... Tried Everything

9er

Feb 19, 2014
Hello, looking for any brilliant ideas to save a relatively new Oysters (russian) tablet from recycle... I've tried a few different approaches and no luck. Here's what I know:

Oysters 10T 3G, Purchased/operated in Russia (220 volt system) starting mid-2013. Brought to US Oct 2013, fitted with plug adapter, ac adapter is capable of handling 110 volt.
Ran successfully for 4 months including one back/forth trip to Russia.

No new apps installed. Wife only uses a browser to read mail and news, that's it - no apps, no other gadgets or games, nothing. She doesn't save files to disk on the tablet. Runs rockchip RK3066 chipset.

Problem condition:
- initially the tablet displayed the "sick android" graphic, then went into a loop of boot/sick android/boot
- holding down power button for 10-15 seconds forces tablet off
- on restart, conditions recur. The "Oysters 10T 3G" boot screen displays and then the sick android graphic is displayed in less than a second.

Attempts to repair:
1) reset via buttons on device. I found instructions to boot to factory reset menu, after many attempts it finally displayed the menu, choose reset, screen displays message about wiping data, appears successful, restart, no change. Tried it again, no change.

2) look inside (my wife is very stubborn). Popped it open and inspected everything, no obvious connectors to reset. Screen works, battery works, everything looks fine.

3) attempt firmware update via Rockchip Batch Tool v1.5. After many attempts I finally figured out how to get the tablet to connect to my laptop using USB. Executed "restore" and "upgrade" many times and failed each time with Loading Firmware Failed message. Each time, the failure response was very fast.

I have a theory that changing the voltage back/forth fried a critical IC, or an IC simply failed well short of its expected lifespan. But if anybody out there has another trick to try, I'd be willing to go for it. As I mentioned, my wife is very stubborn. ;-))

thanks!
Rich