Le Pan - for my grandma. TC 970 or II?

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
I'm basically looking into getting a Le Pan tablet for my grandmother, and am wondering whether to get the TC970 or the II. Here's some background and my dilemma...

Since November, I have been the happy owner of a Le Pan TC-970. Recently I've been trying to get my grandmother "doing the e-mail" as she says, and I've been going over to her place and giving her lessons on my tablet, and have even left it with her a few days. She is, functionally, computer illiterate, and anything but the absolute most ridiculously basic activities are out of the question - I basically have to turn the device into a VCR for her to use it. Advanced functionality is not an issue - all she really does is go on, click on the hotmail app, and fumble (often with very great difficulty) through the menus and get to the e-mail section. At that point, the speech to text function is very important since she types very, very slowly and messes up doing it a lot.

That being said, it's time to get her her own tablet. I'm sticking with Le Pan because I know the tablet reasonably well and feel I can help her with it more - the question is, do I get her the TC970 or the Le Pan II? Here are my deciding factors...

1) Which one has the more simple interface - Froyo VS Gingerbread, I guess. Which is more stable, which has fewer featurs/is more streamlined/less likely to change. Basically, I need something that I can one-time set up and then be as streamlined as humanly possible for an elderly lady who will - simply put - not really understand anything that is going on, but will just use it to perform a few simple activities.

2) Sometimes using the TC970, it chugs a bit between programs or menus - only for a second or two at a time, but for her, that will make the difference between hitting "back" to go from the subject field of an e-mail to the main form and tapping back six times in a panic to bring her back to the home screen. Does the Le Pan II experience less program lag in any significant way?

3) Speech to text... Is it improved at all on the Le Pan II compared to the TC970? It's pretty finicky on the TC970 - if the built in is better on the Le Pan II, it might be worth getting the II for her rather than the 970.

4) Overall stability. Freezes, crashes, and especially things that require use of the reset button are best avoided - she won't know how to handle it. Ideally I'd like as few phone calls as possible... Which one of the two is more stable?

Just to be clear, she really is that computer illiterate. Weeks after starting, probably close to two dozen hours spent sitting over the tablet with her walking through the same simple functions again and again and again, she still needs to call me on the phone to navigate from her home screen to getting to the "compose" menu in hotmail. More features is a detriment to her - I need the simpler operating system for her, not necessarily the more functional. Anyone have any suggestion about which one is the better choice for my grandmother?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I can't speak to the text to speak function. I don't know if there is any difference between the 1 and 2 in that regard.
The LP2 is a much better, faster smoother running tablet. It runs Honeycomb that will hopefully soon be upgraded to ICS. The screen is more computer like. smaller fonts more options. In my opinion it would be too confusing for grandma.
The LP1 runs 2.2 froyo. This operating system was designed to be viewed on a small smart phone screen. thus on the tablet everything is huge and spread apart. After you get used to Honeycomb going back to froyo feels like a toy "playschool" tablet. Much simpler

Lp 2 is a better device but more complicated.

I would recommend you give her your LP1 and you get yourself a shiny new LP2. That's what I would do. If you find the LP2 works better for her you could swap.
With either device you can set up short cuts on the home screen so she can get to the simple things with one touch. Long press on the home screen and a menu will pop up with various options.

Last edited:

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
Thank you Johna - this is exactly the type of response I was looking for. That does sound like a good idea - going for the Le Pan II. Depending on how it seems, I may end up with it if the more "computer like" element is a bit much for her, which it well might be. Even if the speech to text is the same, it's good enough at this point.

Again, thanks for the prompt response. I'll likely get it ordered today.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
You will love it once you get used to it. I think it would be too hard for grandma to relearn how to do everything. I took me 6 months to teach my Mom to use an mp3 player and she still calls with questions.

If your LP1 has freezing issues there are updated firmware versions available. Unfortunately Le Pan is not posting them right now.(shame on them) but you can get them here.
Le Pan Life Forums I understand 4749 is the most stable.

pogoj

Dec 28, 2011
Make grandma happy and keep your life simpler -- Kindle Fire. I like my Le Pan, but they're not the best option for all.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I would say that Kindle Fire has it's own user interface issues and is not necessarily any easier to use. Plus the OP wants something they are familiar with to help grandama out when she has questions. A Le Pan can be made very simple by removing extra home screens and placing shortcuts to apps that grandma will use on the main home screen making it sort of iPad like (in fact there are launchers you can use to make it more iPad like). With the right setup the Le Pan will be more simple to use than a Kindle Fire.

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
Make grandma happy and keep your life simpler -- Kindle Fire. I like my Le Pan, but they're not the best option for all.

I see you're in Alberta... I'm in BC. Is Kindle Fire even in Canada yet? Didn't realize it. When I got my Le Pan, I was considering a Kindle Fire, but there was no word about it coming to Canada yet.

But, aside from that, two things which are of some importance which disqualifies the Kindle Fire. One, it has to be an OS I'm *very* familiar with so I can walk her through very nuanced interface problems. If we are talking PC terms, I couldn't just say "go to the start menu," I would have to say "Ok, look at the screen. In the lower left corner you'll see a small blue sphere with red, blue, yellow, and green marks in it - drag the mouse down over and it and click on it with the left mouse button" - and repeat such detailed steps every inch of the way. As such, I need to know the OS quite well so I can help her out. Also, a few of my cousins have Android phones, so they're familiar with the OS and can help her out as well.

Two, speech to text. For an old lady with long fingernails (big pain when typing on a touch screen) that has never used a keyboard before, writing a message of any length, it's kind of a big deal. Does Kindle Fire have this?

I guess a three would be screen size as well. For an old lady with thick glasses, the bigger the better. Kindle Fire is a bit easier to cart around, but, that's not really a factor here. My Le Pan has a quite nice screen.

Also, J5 nailed it. I can disable and strip down the Le Pan home screen until it's basically a browser and e-mail device with a button that lets her check the weather. Tough to get much more simple than that.

And, again, thanks for the advice all. Ordered a Le Pan II yesterday. About a week from now I'll have all my cousins pissed off at me since Grandma will be spamming their inboxes.

pogoj

Dec 28, 2011
I'm sure she'll be very pleased with the gift and the time you'll be able to spend familiarizing her with all the LPII features. Cheers to BC. Too bad about the Canucks.

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
Just wanted to put in a last thank you. Grandma is doing great, e-mailing up a storm. She just did her first multi person e-mail without my helping her. She kept the Le Pan TC970 and I'm enjoying my Le Pan II to no end. Thanks again all.