Le Pan II ICS google certification is complete!!

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I just received highly reliable but unofficial word that the Google certification process is complete for the Le Pan II ICS upgrade. The firmware update should launch within days.

"update -6/19 - turns out there were a few last minute details that needed to be tested and corrected before the rolling out ICS on Le Pan II. Le Pan is working hard to finish these final details. ICS most likely will come pretty soon. Prepare to enjoy ICS on Le Pan II with July 4th fireworks!"

Last edited:

Afrolex

Aug 11, 2011
Anyone know if they planning on upgrading the original TC970 to ICS?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
is this update going to be OTA? how will we know when the update has become available?

No - their server had a major security problem, and once someone found out (and reported it to them), their fix was to take it off line completely. :(

So, the update will be distributed as a file to be user-downloaded and installed.

When? Watch this forum, as JohnA2u will be posting it as soon as it's available.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Anyone know if they planning on upgrading the original TC970 to ICS?

No, they are not - they came up with some lame excuses ages ago on why it couldn't be done. Not even a Gingerbread, Android 2.3 upgrade was deemed possible.

Which of course was a major lie, as we all running CynogenMod 7 Beta (Gingerbread 2.3.7) can confirm.

If Matsunichi had the decency to release the Linux Kernel source (with all their modifications), as it's their LEGAL obligation to do, under the GPL license conditions - then we could get ICS, cas_xp would be able to use their 2.2 source and make a proper ICS port for the TC970.

Since they are shirking their legal obligation (which I consider crooked behaviour), that is impossible at the moment. Cas_xp has an ICS alpha version for the TC970, but without the kernel souce it's impossible to get hardware video acceleration to work. Without graphics acceleration, the system will be laggy and unsatisfactory.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
Yann, I have a good line of communication with them right now. I hope to address the kernel issue. They are slowly checking off the items on their promises list. Which is good.
Done:
update for tc970(several)
update for LP2
hdmi cable

To do:
ICS for Le Pan II
rj45 adapter
usb otg adapter

Should do:
release source code.
repost firmware for tc970

As far as ICS or gingerbread for the tc970. I don't know why they say it is not possible but there is a difference between delivering something with no gaurantee and having to exchange a tablet if it fails. I doubt if too many developers would release their roms if they had to accept returns and issue refunds. I appreciate what the development community does but you can't really compare it to an official guaranteed release from a manufacturer.

Last edited:

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
John, thanks - if you can get them to release the source code for the now orphaned TC970, we can take it from there. :p

I think they dropped the promise of a op sys upgrade for it since they were busy with the new model (LPII) coming down the pipe. It was easier to do since the promise for the LP1 was never as clear as the 'upgradability' advertised so clearly on the LPII sales pages.

Thanks for any help with the TC970 source, it would be really good for the users if there was a release. TY. :)

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
Bottom line they will do what makes business sense to them. The tablet market is moving fast. They are moving slow. They need to do something to stand out and get noticed. Releasing the source code so the tc970 becomes a more popular item for developers would be a good move for them I think. Forum users and developers are the most vocal users and many people make their buying decisions based on what they read here. Releasing source code would be a good move for them and they would be much better of with you singing their praises than getting hammered all the time. Do a search on Le Pan and you and I come up a lot! They are paying attention.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks. John, we can hope. :)

Just found the Git depository for the Archos GPL files - it can be seen HERE, maybe you can tell them about it. ;)

Archos has not released the full Android source, as it's not required by the Apache license most of Android is released under.

But they released all the kernel and other GPL licensed files for the various generations of their tablets, as you can see in the GIT depository. (current models are Gen 9, and the ICS sources and Kernel are there; our Archos 101T tablet here is a gen 8 so it's limited to 2.2).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
Lepan2 ICS upgrade IS never going to succeed. Just another bunch of Chinese cowboys out to rip you off. Bring the jobs back home!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Lepan2 ICS upgrade IS never going to succeed. Just another bunch of Chinese cowboys out to rip you off. Bring the jobs back home!

To some degree yes, but no tablet is made in the US so no jobs are lost. Almost no consumer electronics of any kind are made in the US. Not buying them is not going to bring those jobs back either. I think I may sort of get where you coming from but I think you are way off base about the reality of the situation.