Link2sd on MID7022

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
After some discussion in another thread about the possibility of link2sd on our device I have experimented and got it working on my 7022. Before you attempt this make a NAND backup in recovery.

1. Download link2sd
3. With a file create a folder called sdext2 in the data file. (not the data in the usable nand or sdcard but in the system file structure.)
2. download modified vold.fstab from here: vold.fstab (648 Bytes)
3. Go to system/etc and modify vold.fstab to vold.old
4. Move downloaded vold.fstab to sytem/etc. Make sure file name stays the same.
5. Power down tablet.
6. Insert blank sdcard into tablet.
7. Boot into recovery.
8. Partition sd card in the advanced menu. (I partitioned mine with 512 and 32 I think.)
9. Reboot
10. Start link2sd. Select ext3 when it asks what partition type you have.
11. Restart tablet and it should work.

I did not do these exact steps as I fuddled with my tablet for over a day to get it to work. However, I think that these are the correct steps in order for Link2sd to work. please let me know if it works or does not work and I will change the steps if needed. Also, if you would like the sdcard linked to somewhere other than tflash I think you can also do this in the vold.fstab file. I used the information in the following threads to figure this out for our tablet:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-1/11299-coby-7015-link2sd-ext2-partition-not-found.html

Anyone really interested on getting Link2sd w X5A? - SlateDroid.com

Edit: You cannot have APP2SD Installed while using this.

Last edited:

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Thanks for the guide! Ill try the steps later today and report back

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
It works! Perfectly. I created the partition on windows PC using EASEUS Partition Master and made both FAT 32

The guide is simple and easy to follow and should be stickied!

Edit: bam and just like that was able to free up a ton of space moving apps like facebook, gmail, vevo, youtube, and more.

I now have 65 mb free on the internal storage :)

Last edited:

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
nba1341,

Thanks for trying this out and verifying it works as written. It definitely improved the response of my tablet and made it smoother by freeing up much of my memory.

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
after a fresh reboot is it fast in loading a app?

Yes. I actually think faster although my NAND takes a long time to find itself versus my SD card. I am not sure why :/. On apps moved to nand (via apps2sd) it says location unavailable for me for at least a minute after unlock

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Yes. I actually think faster although my NAND takes a long time to find itself versus my SD card. I am not sure why :/. On apps moved to nand (via apps2sd) it says location unavailable for me for at least a minute after unlock
thanks then I will definitely get this. I was having the same issue you said with app2sd and it was bothering me. Thanks again for your help

Basilio

Oct 29, 2011
3. With a file create a folder called sdext2 in the data file. (not the data in the usable nand or sdcard but in the system file structure.)

I have to create a folder at my sdcard called sdext2?
Do I have to format and create any partition at my sdcard?

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
Sorry, apparently I don't know my numbers very well. You have to create a folder in \data called sdext2 it has to be created using a file browser that allows root. You must have root to do this. You will partition your sdcard later in the steps. It will be partitioned when you do the steps that say to boot into recovery. I hope this helps. If you have any more problems, ask here and I will try to help.

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I'm trying to download link2sd to my coby 7127 and keep getting "device not compatible". Do you think I"m just out of luck or might there be a workaround? I'll even be happy if you just tell me I'm doing something wrong. :)

I ended up getting an older version of link2sd to install, but I'm still having problems. The vold.fstab link above is no longer good due to the megaupload legal battle. Could anyone post their working version? I'm hoping that with that I can get this ball rolling again. Thanks!

Last edited:

prevailious

Apr 13, 2012
I accidently chose fat32 before i saw this thread so now link2sd won't ask me when I open it. And also, can you please post the vold.stab? the current link is broken. thank you

piratesscareme

Aug 15, 2011
Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on this forum. I am currently driving back from vacation. I should be able to repost the file tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

bunchacats

Apr 4, 2012
I cannot change the old vold.fstab name. Can I must overwrite the old file with the new one? Any suggestions? My daughter's party is in three days. I am desperate. :) Thanks for posting the updated file, I'm just in over my head here. You help is greatly appreciated.

Badger_Lady

Sep 23, 2011
We did all this and it all seemed OK... until it wasn't any more.

We created the partition as described and then started linkung apps, but we noticed that the tablet kept recognising different sides of the new partition - when we remounted the Nand it would see one side, but when we rebooted the device it saw the other. This meant we could only access half the data at a time.

Whilst messing around with this, suddenly the Nand disappeared altogether. It is now 'unmounted' and we cannot remount it (we've tried editing the files directly). And because the Nand is unmounted, we cannot mount any external storage or view the internal storage externally.

Has anyone ever come across this and, even better, fixed it?

Sent from my LG-P920 using Android Tablet Forum