Linux Users, Coby 8042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I just got my 8042 today,all help here, so far is only for windows users, "LiveSuite", if you are happy with livesuite you may use it, however it has two major set backs, one it's only for windows users, second if your usb malfunctions you are out of luck.
I have read through most of the 8042 threads, and have taken from them what I needed, "temp root", from that we can do almost anything.

What I will be covering in this thread is how to root, install recovery, install a modified boot.img, install a custom rom. all without using "livesuite"

You should check your boot.img md5sum, if your boot.img md5sum doesn't match eda433b85d9729422a4be5889982d46d this update isn't for your tablet, you can still root and install recovery, but not update nor boot.img

you will need adb setup and working, I am a Linux user, don't want to use windows to modify my tablets.

Anyway lets begin.

download 8042_root_recovery.zip

8042_root_recovery.zip

extract to your desktop you should have a folder called data, and a text file root_recovery, it contains the following commands. type one command at a time allow each command to finish before typing next command.

The first command is simply coping the contents of the data folder to your tablet, the second command is asking for shell, third and fourth commands are setting permissions, fifth command is sending exploit, sixth command is asking for root permission, seventh command is installing recovery, eight command is booting into recovery.

open a terminal

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su "Note at this point you can backup your system, recovery and boot.img, you don't have to but you might want to, see note 1 below."

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh

/system/bin/reboot-recovery

once in recovery

volume up and down to navigate power to execute. silver button is back.

at this time you should make a backup.

download 8042_boot.zip

8042_boot.zip

adb push 8042_boot.zip /sdcard

then use recovery to select install zip from sdcard and install it.

reboot

download 8042_update.zip

8042_update.zip

place on sdcard

adb shell reboot-recovery

select install zip from sdcard and install it.

credits

steev

saurik

fun

If there is anyone that I left out of the credits, please let me know so I can give you credit for any work that I might have borrowed.

Note 1 if you want to backup your recovery, boot.img and system before making changes run commands below.
adb shell
su
mkdir /sdcard/dump
cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
busybox tar -cvf /sdcard/dump/8042_system.tar /system

then use either adb pull to put them on your pc, or mount the tablet with the pc.

after recovery is installed

to boot into recovery from shutdown

press an hold volume up + back press power release power at coby screen keep holding volume up + back until you see cwm screen.

to get into recovery from normal mode download terminal from market

su

reboot-recovery

or from adb shell

reboot-recovery.

Last edited:

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Vampire, if I change the files in your zips for those extracted by me will it work? It works for any Coby tablet?
For example: If I get my boot.img and overwrite your 8042 boot, my recovery.img, overwrite your root_recovery and system and overwrite that in the update file will it work?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Vampire, if I change the files in your zips for those extracted by me will it work? It works for any Coby tablet?
For example: If I get my boot.img and overwrite your 8042 boot, my recovery.img, overwrite your root_recovery and system and overwrite that in the update file will it work?

No wont work don't do that, glad you are here though, I am ready to work on the 9742 mbr.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
yes i flashed the boot image

what app is telling you the rom isn't rooted? I don't use the superuser app, just su binary, if you want to use superuser app, you would download that from market

download any terminal from market

open it type su

you should see

#

which mean root.

madman29729

Aug 29, 2012
what app is telling you the rom isn't rooted? I don't use the superuser app, just su binary, if you want to use superuser app, you would download that from market

download any terminal from market

open it type su

you should see

#

which mean root.

i tried Titanium Backup then i tried the superuser app from the market both said that i wasn't rooted

you think a reflash would fix it?

JuEv0splash

Sep 10, 2012
Since I'm using a Windows PC, are the commands any different, or would I be able to use this guide? I'd rather not mess with Livesuite, if possible. I've used ADB before with success I just don't know all the commands.

Thanks.