Locked WM8650

DoctorRue

Oct 3, 2012
How yall doing? I`m from Harare, Zimbabwe. Currently or rather recently purchsed a WonderMedia WM8650 running on Android2.2 from China but am stuck on the fact that I need to unlock the sim network so as to have access to my sim card from my provider here in Zim. Is there any way I could get like a code to unlock my phone or should I call it flashing my phone or something like that? somebody please help?

Tanzanite

Jan 14, 2012
Nice to meet a fellow African in this exclusive forum :D

Are you sure the tablet is locked? Never heard about tablets from China that is locked.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello DoctorRue, congratulations on your new WM8650 and welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the WonderMedia Based forum for you. More people with that tablet are likely to join the discussion there and try to help you get it unlocked. Good luck!

DoctorRue

Oct 3, 2012
Locked as in the sim network is locked. I think you should read the message I sent once more cause you might actually have the answer to my problem hey. When you put a simcard, the simcard is not being identified by the tablet because the sim network is locked so i need the unlock code. Does that simplify things for you? I hope you now understand what I`m actually talking about. Thank you.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi DoctorRue,

Unfortunately locked devices are a common problem here in the U.S. It means a device has been locked to one carrier and cannot be used on another carrier by simply swapping in a SIM card from another company. If you have experience with rooting or flashing custom ROMs then unlocking the device should not be too much of a problem though you will have to find the specific information for what to change on your device.

If you are not experienced at rooting and flashing your local carrier may be able to unlock the device for you. My understanding is that many carriers will do this for free in Europe because they have regulations prohibiting locked devices. However, if it is like here in the U.S. the carrier may refuse to unlock the device altogether or charge a fee for the service. Start with you cellular service provider and other providers in the area first and if you can't get it unlocked that way you may have to move on to unlocking it yourself.

JP