Longer power cord source.

pentool

May 1, 2011
The problem with that is it's only 120V. If you go overseas, you can't use it with a simple adapter. (Some might not care of course.)

pentool

May 1, 2011
Of course it's custom made. Why would it be generic conforming to some ridiculous standard? Acer will come out with a 6 foot cord that customers will be able to buy for a discounted low price of $39.95 plus $10.00 S&H and applicable sales tax.

Better yet, the new version of Iconia will have a 2 inch power cord, so you have to crouch next to the outlet and hold the tablet while it's charging.

Last edited:

Jress

May 9, 2011
Curious question... I have this car charger and the spare tips somewhere: http://www.amazon.com/Coby-Regulate...W5QT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305487536&sr=8-1

The voltage is 12v, not the amperage is only 800mA and the A500 requires 1.5A. Can I use this car charger for the A500? I realize it would be slower charging, hut my main concern would be causing any damage to the tablet.
I haven't found the spare tips yet, so I am not sure if there is one that will even fit the A500. But if I do, will this work?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
OK, so here's a dumb question: you have this adapter and it plugs into the Iconia just fine?

If your standard of determining if a charger "works fine" is to plug it in, I suggest you are headed for tears some day.
You need to learn to READ charger specifications, and polarity specifications and charging connector designations.

pentool

May 1, 2011
I've emailed Acer to provide a third party replacement charger with longer wire (...yeah, right, that'll be the day!) But still, if you are sitting at an airport waiting for your connecting flight, you can't even plugin the damn thing to charge because it's not reaching that far. Unless of course you want to put it on the ground for someone to leave a footprint on the glass.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
If your standard of determining if a charger "works fine" is to plug it in, I suggest you are headed for tears some day.
You need to learn to READ charger specifications, and polarity specifications and charging connector designations.

My standard in this case (and my question, maybe not succinct enough) is if the "adapter" plug is the same size as the one we have currently and will plug into the Iconia. Trust me, I know about power specifications, wattage, amperage, polarity, etc. In other words, I was making sure that your recommendation was something that you have on hand and have tried personally. Didn't know whether or not you were going purely on the specs.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

robdroid

May 4, 2011
The part number on the charger traces to this document http://www.phihong.com/assets/pdf/PSA18R.pdf
In there you will find the specs. This was already posted above.
Yeah, I looked closely at the PDF- the electrical characteristics may be the same as on the AC adapter used with the A500, but it's not the same plug as used on the A500- a simple measurement with a ruler will confirm that.
The PDF you linked shows the coax plug as "DC Output Connector 2.1 x 5.5mm Center positive Standard". The 5.5mm refers to the OD (outside diameter) of the connector plug. 5.5mm=0.21653543" there's no way the OD of the A500 DC connector is almost a 1/4" diameter. When I measured it last night- it OD looked to be about 2.3mm or so- not 5.5mm as shown in the PDF.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
2.1 mm is the diameter. 5.5 is the length.
Look again at the drawing at the bottom of the PDF- the length is 10.00mm

To size a coax DC plug you need 3 dimensions- ID (inside diameter) OD (outside diameter) and length.

Referring again to the PDF:
2.1mm is the ID
5.5mm is the OD
10.00mm is the length

Same electrical characteristics, different mechanical characteristics for the DC coax connector.