Looking for a Gel Case/Skin for a New Coby MID7042-4

noto

Mar 4, 2011
Hi!
I just purchased a Coby 7042 for my 3 year old daughter and I'm looking for a gel skin/case to add a little bit of protection. Any suggestions?

I was going to purchase the Leap Frog LeapPad, but that costs $99 plus $25 per app/game. The 7042 was $117 last night (may still be) on Amazon and I decided to pull the trigger. I've seen a ton of educational apps/games that range from .99 - 5.99. That's much cheaper in the long run when compared to the LeapPad.

I know the tablet is missing Google Play but I should be able to get by with the Amazon App Store as well as the 1Mobile App Store. I have two other tablets and Droid X that I've rooted/ROM'd etc., so I'm familiar with the process in case I really need the Google Play app store.

Thanks!

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
First, root the device. Even though 1Mobile is an excellent source for free apps, I have to admit, I love GPlay. As for protection, I just picked up a universal zippered pouch (Case Logic) at Fry's for $18. Not gel, more like wet suit material. Works great and has a separate compartment for USB cable, memory, whatever. Doesn't have a carrying strap though.

Joe88

Apr 27, 2012
I think he wants something like a shell to put over the device to protect in from falls while using it

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
I haven't found much for the 7042. I've been looking for a case and screen protector for my wife's 7042. I ended up buying a Rocketfish - MY WAY Case for Kindle Fire/Galaxy Tab. It fits fine, but one of the straps gets in the way of the camera, AC plug and power button, but it can be nudged over.

Here are the dimensions of the 7042 compared to some of the more popular 7" tablets:

Coby 7042 : 190.05 x 121.92 x 10.16
Kindle Fire: 190.00 x 120.00 x 11.40
Galaxy Tab : 190.09 x 120.45 x 11.98
Galaxy Tab2:193.70 x 122.40 x 10.50

So you can try either the Kindle Fire skin or Galaxy Tab skin. I was going to buy a silicone skin on eBay and take a hole punch to it to punch out the button holes.

Let us know how your search goes.

ZmanNYC2

Nov 4, 2011
Not usiing a silicone cover, but my leatherbound Nook (the original Nook) cover fits the Coby 7042 perfectly...I paid like $15 for that last year. It provides very good drop protection.

noto

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up purchasing a hard carrying case, pink of course, from ebay for about $6. I also purchased a gel skin from amazon for $7 so that it can hopefully add some protection in case she drops it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

bzeemomof4

May 23, 2011
hey there - i did the exact same thing for my 4 year old twins but the ICS tablet was not out yet so they have the 7022. It has worked out great. I rooted and have google market, I use go launcher and i hid all the apps they do not need to see. I downloaded a fairy wallpaper for my girl & captain america for my son. Love that i can put movies - all the leapfrog/muzzy dvd we have I converted mp4 and use mxplayer. I also put dropbox on them and created an account for them so I can send files as needed especially if I have to side load, as was the case with temple run.

I found a great site iPad & Other Tablet Accessories, they have all kinds of cases for the galaxy tab

i ordered a couple different cases but ended up using it wraps around better. I did use and exacto knife to make cuts where needed I have had it since March and are holding up great. My twins are a bit rough but so far so good!

noto

Mar 4, 2011
Last edited:

noto

Mar 4, 2011
hey there - i did the exact same thing for my 4 year old twins but the ICS tablet was not out yet so they have the 7022. It has worked out great. I rooted and have google market, I use go launcher and i hid all the apps they do not need to see. I downloaded a fairy wallpaper for my girl & captain america for my son. Love that i can put movies - all the leapfrog/muzzy dvd we have I converted mp4 and use mxplayer. I also put dropbox on them and created an account for them so I can send files as needed especially if I have to side load, as was the case with temple run.

I found a great site iPad & Other Tablet Accessories, they have all kinds of cases for the galaxy tab

i ordered a couple different cases but ended up using it wraps around better. I did use and exacto knife to make cuts where needed I have had it since March and are holding up great. My twins are a bit rough but so far so good!

Nice skin....and great price too! Thanks for the dropbox tip.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2