Looking for Dell Venue 8 Review

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Apart from the specs and marketing info on Dell's website and an announcement on androidcentral.com, I haven't been able to find out much more about the new Venue 8. If anybody has seen a review anywhere, please post. I know that it doesn't ship until October 31, but don't reviewers get advance test copies or sneak peeks, sometimes? 8 inches seems to be the new sweet spot for Android devices. And, at $180, it's definitely worth a closer look, when compared to the LG's G Pad 8.3, retailing for $350.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
There seems to be so much interest in the Venue 8 Pro that so far the Android devices aren't getting a lot of attention but I think it will come. Like you said an 8" tablet at that price point could be a winner. A lot of people I know feel they need a 7" tablet to compliment their 10" devices and I kind of understand because a 10 inch device is just not that portable or convenient for reading, but an 8" device might be able to satisfy both needs.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for your reply, Tom. It's right on the money. In my case, I'd be upgrading from a 7-inch, entry-level Acer that I purchased new last December for the same price that I'd be paying for the Venue 8 today - a measly 180 bucks. The speed of technology never ceases to amaze me.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
UPDATE

One of the cuts that they made to make it so cheap was the lack of an ambient light sensor. So, there's no automatic brightness. I verified this with Dell directly. Also, there is no HDMI output on the spec sheet. But, the device does have Miracast support. All Android 4.2+ devices have support for Miracast.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I don't find the ambient light sensor to be particularly useful anyway, it's adjustments tend to be a bit dramatic. I suppose if you were moving into different lighting situations constantly it would be useful but overall this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I'm not going to let it be a deal breaker for me, either. After all, my wife's already got the color picked out - RED.

DonatDell

Nov 1, 2013
UPDATE

One of the cuts that they made to make it so cheap was the lack of an ambient light sensor. So, there's no automatic brightness. I verified this with Dell directly. Also, there is no HDMI output on the spec sheet. But, the device does have Miracast support. All Android 4.2+ devices have support for Miracast.

Hello edap,

I am sorry to hear you received some mis-information regarding the new Dell Venue 8. As it turns out, the Venue 8 includes Automatic Light Sensing/ALS. The screen will auto adjust brightness depending on the ambient light environment. If you have any questions about new Dell products, don't forget to hit up the Q&A section on the product pages. We are there and happy to answer questions.

Check out available configs here;
http://dell.to/16tJQ6a

-DonatDell
#IWorkForDell

edap

Dec 12, 2012
It appears that Dell has now pushed back its estimated ship date to November 7th from the 1st.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Thanks for the link to dell. It looks very nice The question is how is the battery life? With any new product, there will always be questions until the tablet is released. With the intel cpu, and dell's history with the dell streak, the question for me is battery life.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know about dell products, hopefully Dell chooses to abide by open source and release their source code, I kind of doubt they will though. The one thing I don’t like so far is the name of the tablet. Venue 8 (android) Venue 8 Pro (windows) is going to confuse people as they are completely different OS, Pro is running windows. This is too similar to the way windows tablets was being sold, people getting screwed buying the RT thinking they were getting full windows.

The windows version of the tablet should have a completely different name, setting it apart from the android version.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It is somewhat confusing. I was ready to buy a Venue Pro 8 until I heard the troubles with the digitizer. Its too bad they didn't go with the proven Wacom digitizer which is great. Maybe they can solve the issues through driver updates but so far the Synaptics digitizer layer seems poor.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
At least, Dell's Venue 8-inch tablet is offering customers an Android version, unlike Toshiba's Encore 8, which only runs on the full version of Windows.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I see the 7" version for sale but still no 8"
Isn't that always the way it is, if two models come out the interesting one always comes later. Sometimes much later....

edap

Dec 12, 2012
It is somewhat confusing. I was ready to buy a Venue Pro 8 until I heard the troubles with the digitizer. Its too bad they didn't go with the proven Wacom digitizer which is great. Maybe they can solve the issues through driver updates but so far the Synaptics digitizer layer seems poor.

if you are looking for a note taking tablet (an admittedly small subset of users) the stylus experience is very poor, with many of the same vectoring, skipping, and lockup problems common to non-Wacom active digitizers.