Looking to bu my fist tablet, considering Nook HD+

LordGray

Nov 24, 2012
I plan on just using my tablet for watching videos and browsing the web. I have heard great things about this tablet, and I like how it is a bigger tablet and has a high resolution screen. My only issue is the UI, so I would probably root it and install a custom ROM. I am also considering the Kindle Fire HD 8.9, same reasons and same issue with UI. Is it worth it to get the Nook HD+ or Kindle Fire HD 8.9 but have to root them, or should I just get the Nexus 7?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It sounds like you have done your research. I think the Nook is a great idea if you are willing to root and want to to tinker. Personally I would choose the Nook over the Kindle in that case. If you just want a device that works as a pure Android tablet out of the box but has a smaller screen (this also has benefits for portability) then the Nexus 7 is hard to beat. There really isn't a bad choice in the tablets you are considering.

JP

LordGray

Nov 24, 2012
It sounds like you have done your research. I think the Nook is a great idea if you are willing to root and want to to tinker. Personally I would choose the Nook over the Kindle in that case. If you just want a device that works as a pure Android tablet out of the box but has a smaller screen (this also has benefits for portability) then the Nexus 7 is hard to beat. There really isn't a bad choice in the tablets you are considering.

JP

I like to make sure I get something I will really enjoy, so I tend to research phones, computers, and now tablets, a lot before I make a purchase :p
Portability is not something I will really do. I have the Droid DNA, a 5 inch phone, so my tablet would just be for watching videos when I don't want to log onto my computer. I probably will not take it a lot of places since my phone will be fine in a situation like that. Also my phone is why I want a bigger tablet, I would prefer if my tablet was more than 2 inches bigger than my phone haha

caseenBrandon

Nov 15, 2011
I like to make sure I get something I will really enjoy, so I tend to research phones, computers, and now tablets, a lot before I make a purchase :p
Portability is not something I will really do. I have the Droid DNA, a 5 inch phone, so my tablet would just be for watching videos when I don't want to log onto my computer. I probably will not take it a lot of places since my phone will be fine in a situation like that. Also my phone is why I want a bigger tablet, I would prefer if my tablet was more than 2 inches bigger than my phone haha

You got that right!... Ask a pro (ME!) I have them ALL! And I love the Nook HD+ the best for the price! Its simply amazing... Sometimes I like it more than the Transformer Infinity we have around here! It is a very beautiful device!

Ying_Ko

Jan 13, 2013
I realize this post is a bit late, but do want to note that the Nook HD and HD+ now come with Google Play Store and so can actually get android books, etc. on them now.