Looks intersting, No?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
tumblr_leimsh3O7U1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif

It seems that Veiwsonic has it's eyes on B&N's lunch. ViewSonic announces $250 ViewBook 730 tablet, steps on Nook Color's turf -- Engadget

:confused:I was planning on purchasing another NC, than B&N announced the new e-ink gizmo.:confused:

:cool:Now this.:cool:

What, I ask you is a gadget obsessive to do? Cameras... 1ghz processors....

Lions and tigers and bears....

Oh My.

LS.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
the only drawback is the lower resolution screen relative to nook - and seeing as the screen is one's primary interface - might be a deal break for some

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Looks very slick but we'll have to wait for some hands on. Specs don't always tell the whole story. Hoepfully it is everything it looks like on paper though :)

discothan

Feb 16, 2011
Saw this over on Engadget also. Looks a bit bulky..but the sucky display is going to kill it.
Front cam....eh.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Looks very slick but we'll have to wait for some hands on. Specs don't always tell the whole story. Hoepfully it is everything it looks like on paper though :)
My thoughts exactly. After purchasing an Archos and being significantly disappointed my policy now is wait and see. Early adoption is great and all(so is cheap ;->) but I can live without another hardware disappointment.

Heck my CR-48 was fun for about a week till I realized it took twice as long to load web pages and I spend 90% of my time in Chrome on my Acer, why would I need another laptop that runs nothing but Chrome. Tee Hee.

Although if CM7 is ported to this sooner rather than later this might be my new hacktablet. I can keep my NC all fresh and stable.

-off topic- Either of you guys on CM7 nightlies? There are some really cool features that have been added. Slide on the status bar for brightness, battery life is INSANE> SetCPU profiles are alive and well, and I have been seeing Q scores in the mid 2k. Whee Hoo! Also it just feels zippier all around. FWIW.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No, not on the nightlies. Been happy to be stable and not palying too much with changes but using the heck out of the nook for other things. I could use some better battery life and would be nice to have more complete profiles. Still spend a fair amount of time in B&N 1.0.1 rooted and OC'd to 1.1GHz and the battery life is notcibaly better than Conservative 925MHz on CM7 though I have been making it through the day either way.

JP

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Nice, cept for the resolution. No thanks.

Now, about that insane battery life on the new CM7.. I'm on CM7 5/12.. Should I make a change? How "insane" are we talking? I'm already pretty happy with it, but more is always better.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Nice, cept for the resolution. No thanks.

Now, about that insane battery life on the new CM7.. I'm on CM7 5/12.. Should I make a change? How "insane" are we talking? I'm already pretty happy with it, but more is always better.
I haven't done any long term benchmarking or anything but as of the 2.6.3 kernal update I get days, yes days.

I am currently recalibrating so I will have a better idea in a day or two but the improvements are really amazing. Between SetCPU profiles and (seemingly)better sleep policies I get 3-4 days with moderate use. Even after 2-3 hours of Plants V. Zombies I had expected a huge battery hit and it really only made a small dent.

So yeah I stand by insane
tumblr_lhqpc5J9LK1qe0eclo1_r28_500.gif

Fully charged in the morning, check my emails 4-5 times and read a few feeds Pulse etc and listen to music I get home with 85% battery. I lose about .1-.3% an hour on stand-by.

The SOD issue is negligible, a hard reboot brings it back np, word is don't let you NC go to sleep while plugged in, I have minor wifi drop outs but I haven't updated to the latest, I'm on n94.

To be honest the implementation of sliding the status bar for brightness almost gave me :rolleyes:wood:rolleyes:. I have been using Brightness Profiles but it is still an extra click to get to the slider so just opening the "bottom" status bar and sliding my finger is bloody beautiful.