losing my grip

hardsell

Sep 19, 2011
if you knew me you'd be retorting with "yeah, on that tenuous grip of reality you have" or "yeah, losing your grip on the little bit of sanity you have left"

but I've been finding the vizio just plain hard to hold in either landscape or portrait

but I prefer to hold it like a book ie; one-handed so for me that would be hold it left handed and have the right hand free to turn the page I almost always do most of my reading right before sleeping so I'm not in an easy chair where I could have a lap board or at a table, or a desk, on a couch etc

I use it primarily for reading books, have a few fun apps on it mostly there to have something to show it off with, so I can try to "justify" buying it rather than a refurbished nook color (then rooting it) for almost half the price

the bezel is too thin for me and it seems my thumb always overhangs that sides bezel and the screen sees the thumb thats over but not touching the screen and flips the page

I had the same trouble with a kindle dxg that I kept too long and had to sell (it and it's accessories) for a $200 loss it seemed lighter but was even bigger in it's dimensions but having no touch screen, I could keep a thumb on the screen with no worries other than cleaning the resulting smudge

my archos 5 it 500gb model holds like a dream only with its amazing 2 hour battery life it is attached like a chain to a wall socket which is why I'm trying the vizio

since then I have found that this might be a common problem as there are now lots of devices to help you hold your (mostly for ipads) tablet one handed

[my research page showing most of the holder brands here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QLQAaT7jA9Mm1z9lI13UqpcSfnKW3itmilAIAtT9_Vk/edit?hl=en_US

I've added the one associated with this forum though its mostly for dash, wall, floor stand]

but being cheap I'd like to be able to hold it without any extra expense why dont tablet manufacturers provide for this themselves? like have a pop out on the back just thick and tall enough to hold between two fingers then push it back in when you want it to be all "sleek" again.... these things are too sleek! give me something chunky clunky booky in shape that I can get a grip on :) (rant off)

and then there are the back home and menu buttons that are on the bezel eliminating one "safe" place to hold the vizio

I read in landscape (need the text real big, being blind) and now the power button (not recessed) is right by my left palm; if I change grip a tad WHOOPS we've almost powered off and theres another screen to get out of

same with the volume buttons had to disable their use in a lot of apps as they get mangled alot when I change hands every now and then

so (at last) :) to the question does anybody else have this problem?
how did you fix it?

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I have found a nice case provides better grip for one thing. Another approach is a Zagg cover front and back. Provides a little more grippiness to the device.

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
Well not sure what to tell ya to do on this one friend. But I can tell ya that the zagg cover wont help because zagg. Com does not make anything for the vtab1008 (vizio tablet) at this moment, because it's not popular enough for the to make any covers for it yet. However I have found using my folio case that I bought for mine the same day I bought my tablet helps. I put my tablet in it flip the front cover with its 3 slots for different angles on it out set my tablet either on the bed next to me or on my lap and let the folio hold it for me.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

walrus

Dec 16, 2010
Get some stick on velcro and make a strap use 4 little pieces one on each end and you can hold it in any direction. thats what I did.

hardsell

Sep 19, 2011
Get some stick on velcro and make a strap use 4 little pieces one on each end and you can hold it in any direction. thats what I did.

walrus I'm having trouble seeing that in my head could you post a picture of what you did? (and if anyone has any other DIY things for the vizio, covers stands etc please share them)

Tcsviz77 even with the font size at 42 (legally blind ) I have to hold the vizio about 4-6 inches from my face so a stand wouldnt work, well one of those floor models with an extendable arm might but thats too much $ right now most of those are around $150 or so

pbrauer well if I keep the vizio seems to have a battery problem I think I would get a holder, from that research page, I would probably get the handeholder or the ecinch

thanks everybody for your suggestions and if anyone else has an idea please post it

hardsell

Sep 19, 2011
you know I had heard about the Sony S1 for a while but thought a "coming soon" article meant the product was 3-6 months down the road, and didn't check it out till a few days ago to find its available for sale now

and this tablet actually was designed to be gripable with it's "folded over magazine shape" (> thicker on one side thin on the other

to me the only negative of the S1 is it's price

but here are some links if you want to see it:

MobileTechReview

stats: Sony Tablet S specs

sony store
Sony Tablet S | Sony | Sony Store USA

amazon store
Amazon.com: Sony SGPT111US/S Wi-Fi Tablet (16GB): Computers & Accessories

this device also has a universal remote which I had though was vizio's main feature that separated it from all the other tablets

Last edited by a moderator:

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Yeah... $500 and $600... I can't justify that for a tablet. Tablets are cool, but neither my wife nor I actually need one, so much as "hey, what a handy thing and neat toy" kind of a thing. Also the size. Personally, I think 8" is the perfect size for a tablet. Of course: YMMV.

All of that is why my wife and I popped for VTABs, whereas we hadn't considered tablets at all, previously.

Jim