Lower-End Asus Tablet Shows Up in Benchmarks; Could be Rumored $99 Nexus or Other

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
google_nexus_7-flat.jpg

A new lower-end Asus tablet with the ASUS ME172V model name just showed up in some GLbench results, and it could be the oft-rumored $99 dollar Nexus tablet. Of course, considering we have already seen a new refresh for the Nexus 7 tablets, this could also simply be a new budget-friendly Android tablet directly from Asus that will undercut the Nexus 7. What is most intriguing about this mystery device is it's specs. They are slightly reduced, yet similar to the Nexus 7. Here's what we could get from the benchmarks:
  • 400MHz Mali GPU
  • 1GHz CPU core (amount unknown)
  • 7-Inch display with screen resolution of 1024×600 pixels
  • Includes a microSD Card slot
That last feature heavily suggests the tablet is purely an Asus branded product, and will not be a Nexus device. This is because Google seems to want to pigeon-hole owners into using Google Cloud for all of their storage needs. More than likely this is a Nexus-like non-Nexus device from Asus. It would be intriguing if it still came at that $99 dollar price point.

Source: SlashGear

mikee

May 29, 2011
If it is a dual core cpu as well as jellybean 4.1 or 4.2 this would be quite a steal. I just hope it doesn't have the same drawbacks of crappy tablets ie crappy screen, really bad battery life, proprietary wall charger (no usb charging). I really hope asus can pull this off.