Market Download/Google Talk Problems

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
I have a NookColor, stock 1.1, rooted with AutoNooter 3.0.

I have reviewed many posts about market downloads hanging up, and often the problem seems to involve Google Talk and under-memory issues. However, I am unable to access Google Talk (or any other Google app) under NookColor Tools>All Settings>Manage Applications: they simply do not appear, and therefore I can not clear or force stop these apps/services.

Google Talk will open only briefly before it closes. I have logged out/in under Google accounts with no improvement. If anyone can suggest a way to access and clear the Talk (or other services/apps), I may be able to get back into the downloading from the Market.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this.
-Gsutton

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Any task manager/killer app should also allow you to see and kill apps. In particular Titatanium Backup works well. If you can't access the market you can see if you can find the apk and side load it.

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
Any task manager/killer app should also allow you to see and kill apps. In particular Titatanium Backup works well. If you can't access the market you can see if you can find the apk and side load it.

Thanks for the rapid reply. I killed Google Talk using a task killer and now the Market won't even come up - gives a network error after loading for a considerably long time. I will try something else in the meantime. Thanks for the assistance!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You may have to reboot. Also if you have an app capable of it you should try wiping the data rather than force close the app. If that doesn't work then you can move on to killing the app.

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
You may have to reboot. Also if you have an app capable of it you should try wiping the data rather than force close the app. If that doesn't work then you can move on to killing the app.

I rebooted, but gives me a messsage that WIFI is connected, but no internet. However, I can now bring up the Talk signup, but it also says could not connect to the internet. Looks like I stopped the device from connecting with the internet when I killed the apps earlier. I will recheck my doings and see if I maybe turned something off when I should not have. The wifi is strong, but no internet access through Market, browser, Dolphin, etc. Thanks for the reply.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you sure your internet connetion is going through? Maybe the ISP is down. If you have another device you can see if you can get online with that.

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
Are you sure your internet connetion is going through? Maybe the ISP is down. If you have another device you can see if you can get online with that.

Yeah, I made sure the internet connection was for real. I had hoped to re-load the Google Apps but I could not figure out how to do it without possibly going back to re-rooting and risk losing my current setup. So during my search I found GTalk Service Monitor on the Market which has thus far taken care of my problem. I am sure this is just a quick fix of sorts, and I would be wise to consider re-rooting and re-installing everything as if for the first time, then use Titanium Backup to reinstall my apps (possibly with data). If my luck holds out, I may try to wait until AutoNooter is available for the updated stock firmware.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sounds like you have the right idea. Gapps which can be found here Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki (at the bottom). Having the right tools helps. If you have TB that is a good start. You should also consider ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) either internally of from a bootable disk. This will also allow you to make backups and flash kernels and ROMs http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html.

Depending on what you want to do you can go back to stock and reroot or you may want to consider trying a custom ROM. You can test drive CM7 on SD by following this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html. If you like what you find then you can consider flashing it of Phiremod or Ultimate Droid into internal memory. Or flash any of them (or stock rooted) to internal memory and still use CM7 on the bootable SD.

Really you have many options so don't think that the only way out of your current situation is to return to stock and reroot.

JP

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
I really thank you for your assistance. Apparently I went crazy and flashed GApps from Clockwork Recovery. Had to reboot a couple of times and then noticed that my Market, Talk, and other stuff were missing. Gmail was there but would not open. I went into Titanium Backup and restored these items, which had been marked through with a line (indicating they had been removed). Restored data for Gmail, and all is working again. Can you please tell me what I should have done to properly reinstall GApps to my existing rooted stock system? Thanks as always for your assistance.
-GSutton

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
First, you shouldn't have removed Gapps. As you have noticed they are quite finicky and things don't work without them. If you have issues in the future you believe are related to Gapps you should try wiping the data/clearing the cache for the app in question. This works most of the time. If that doesn't work and you are sure that the Gapp is the problem you may want to uninstall and reinstall. Most of the times these two steps will correct the issue.

As you noticed having backups is a key way to resolve issues. Making good backups of your app, data and ROMs at key times (clean copy, before any major changes or updates) is really the best policy.

JP

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
First, you shouldn't have removed Gapps. As you have noticed they are quite finicky and things don't work without them. If you have issues in the future you believe are related to Gapps you should try wiping the data/clearing the cache for the app in question. This works most of the time. If that doesn't work and you are sure that the Gapp is the problem you may want to uninstall and reinstall. Most of the times these two steps will correct the issue.

As you noticed having backups is a key way to resolve issues. Making good backups of your app, data and ROMs at key times (clean copy, before any major changes or updates) is really the best policy.

JP

I sure didn't know I was going to loose GApps... I was trying to replace it by flashing the replacement. I am lucky that my machine is still working. I would be hurting if I did not have those files backed up. I am going to sit back and research everything again and educate myself on these things. I am getting confused with all of the available technical posts and I need to digest it before I do another stupid thing. Plus, it is a good learning opportunity. It may be next to impossible to brick the device, but you can sure do some damage and spend some time getting it back to useful again! THANKS!

Last edited:

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
For perhaps a related reason, several of my apps won't open, but still show active in the notifications. Even if i un/reinstall the apps, or restore from Titanium, no luck. Any ideas about some system problem i may have? Thanks as always.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can try booting into CWR and clearing you cache partiion and dalvik cache and then boot back into regular OS.

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011
You can try booting into CWR and clearing you cache partiion and dalvik cache and then boot back into regular OS.

Thanks. I will try that.

Sent via Tapatalk using my rooted stock NookColor reader tablet

gsutton

Feb 2, 2011

I tried this, but it did not help. It is like something is blocking partial access to the internet, but not completely because notifications are working (example: Weather bug shows current data on notification but will close when invoked). Thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk using my rooted stock NookColor reader tablet