Micro SD card - What size do I need for rooting?

Dec 17, 2010
I just got my Nook Color last night and I'm ready to take the plunge and root it.

I'll probably go with CM7.

What size Micro SD card should I get? Is class 2 sufficient or should I spend extra for a class 4 or class 6?

Pyro6128

Dec 11, 2010
Part of it depends on how you intend to use it. I just had a single 16gb card that i used to root, and now i run roms off the internal memory and just use the sd card for storage. I think 2gb is how much you need for rooting purposes only, but if youre going to use it for more than that (ie storage), then you should go bigger. Some people have 2 cards, one for storage, the other for rooting purposes and switching roms, I don't go this route, I just flash everything to my internal memory. All that being said, class 2 will be just fine. Again, thats what I use.

Hope that helps

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
At least a 42mb sd card, any speed. :)

for rooting any micro sd card can be used

...but for running a custom rom from a sd card (if you choose), a 2GB or higher will be required.

eulogy69

Mar 15, 2011
i move alot of files around on my cards i have 2 16gb both class 6 and moving files is super fast i was able to get them for 40usd each on amazon

Sent from my MID7015A-Watery 1.2a Using Android Tablet Forum App

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
my inventory:
(1) spare 2GB for rooting
(1) spare 8GB for honeycomb rom
(1) installed in NC 16GB for storage, everything from multiple full backups and rom zip files to pics, books and movies

twokatmew

Mar 25, 2011
I have Honeycomb on an 8GB SD card. It's fun to play with but definitely not ready for prime time, which is why it's on a card and not on the emmc. I got my nook color a couple weeks ago. I first rooted it with Autonooter 3.0, then Customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8, and now Phiremod 5.2. I saved images of all these setups (including stock), so I can easily flash among them if I want. I have a couple 2GB microSDs from old devices, and I use use them for rooting. Aside from the 8GB for Honeycomb, I keep a 16GB microSD in my NC for storage. It's overkill for me right now, but I like having lots of space. ADATA makes fast, reliable and inexpensive cards. I got a class 10 16GB from Newegg for ~$30.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Do you think installing Honeycomb is a good idea right now, considering that Google decided not to release the source code for it?

Which version of Android do you use most of the time?

My two favorite and most used Nook Color roms right now, in order are:
1. Ultimate Droid Nook Color 3.2.0 (Gingerbread 2.3.3) ROM (great so far, almost no bugs, development in ongoing and bug fixes are addressed)
2. phiremod nook BETA 2 (Froyo 2.2.1) ROM (good rom with just a few minor bugs, development has been abandoned so don't expect any improvement)

Dec 17, 2010
I bought an 8gb memory card last night and first tried CM7. It looked okay, but I noticed it didn't have the Market installed. I am now running Ultimate Droid - it's great!

Thanks for your help.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
for CM7, market does not show up until you connect to a wifi connection.

I bought an 8gb memory card last night and first tried CM7. It looked okay, but I noticed it didn't have the Market installed. I am now running Ultimate Droid - it's great!

Thanks for your help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not sure which one is working for CM7 but you need to get a screen shot app from the market. Then capture away!