Microsoft has announced that has filed a lawsuit against Barnes & Noble over Android

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Microsoft has announced that it has filed a lawsuit against Barnes & Noble for patent infringement related to functionality present in its Android-based Nook e-reader. Microsoft is also taking legal action against Foxconn and Inventec for their roles in manufacturing the Nook.At the heart of the issue are patents that Microsoft claims it owns for certain aspects of the Android user experience. The technology titan specifically mentioned “natural ways of interacting with devices by tabbing through various screens to find the information they need, surfing the Web more quickly, and interacting with documents and e-books” as three examples of functionality that Microsoft has patented

Microsoft Sues Barnes & Noble Over Android Patent Issues

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Pa1adin

Mar 16, 2011
Microsoft is just protecting their patents. From a business stand point they HAVE to or they will loose them. MS arranged a licensing agreement with other manufactures like HTC, they have not with Barns and Noble yet hence the law suite. BaN just needs to pay them a bit for each device sold. They will work it out I am sure.

What I want to see is Apple sued over a total monopoly with their App store! How are they allowed to sell music that is ONLY allowed to be purchased and played with their products?
It would not be so bad but a lot of the available content out there from various entertainment sources is iTunes only! I can understand their apps of course but there is everything from TV shows to podcasts to music to books etc.. only on iTunes!

You have no options to get it elsewhere for a non Apple product. That is a total monopoly!

Maybe it is just me. i:)i

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
Microsoft is just protecting their patents. From a business stand point they HAVE to or they will loose them. MS arranged a licensing agreement with other manufactures like HTC, they have not with Barns and Noble yet hence the law suite. BaN just needs to pay them a bit for each device sold. They will work it out I am sure.

What I want to see is Apple sued over a total monopoly with their App store! How are they allowed to sell music that is ONLY allowed to be purchased and played with their products?
It would not be so bad but a lot of the available content out there from various entertainment sources is iTunes only! I can understand their apps of course but there is everything from TV shows to podcasts to music to books etc.. only on iTunes!

You have no options to get it elsewhere for a non Apple product. That is a total monopoly!

Maybe it is just me. i:)i

You can always get a zune (which they are discontinuing, but still have the marketplace) or use the amazon market and get a non ipod or zune mp3 player.

Pa1adin

Mar 16, 2011
HEHE We are not typical users, I also know of other places to get files.

I guess I am talking about the average person who would want certain things iTines offers. i:)i

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
but if they do have patents that are being infringed, shouldn't they protect those patents? This is why we have a patent office after all.

Now some patents are so ludicrously vague that they should be thrown out, but if their complaints have merit, they should be taken care of.

This is why Google gives everything away, Android, Chrome, etc. Notice that Google is rarely ever mentioned in these lawsuits, even though its their software that is infringing. Because the court typically only assigns monies from profits derived from the infringement, but if Google is not making any money, then the plaintiff spends all the money for court costs and wouldn't get jack!

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
but if they do have patents that are being infringed, shouldn't they protect those patents? This is why we have a patent office after all.

Now some patents are so ludicrously vague that they should be thrown out, but if their complaints have merit, they should be taken care of.

This is why Google gives everything away, Android, Chrome, etc. Notice that Google is rarely ever mentioned in these lawsuits, even though its their software that is infringing. Because the court typically only assigns monies from profits derived from the infringement, but if Google is not making any money, then the plaintiff spends all the money for court costs and wouldn't get jack!

All companies have the right to defend against infringement. It is just funny how Microsoft seems to sue when they are on the short end of competition. Why do all companies (not just MS) START the negotiations with a lawsuit?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well we don't know when the negotiations actually started...this is simply coming to the public attention now that the court is involved.

Well, MS isn't going to sue over a patent that they don't hold, so I don't see why their position in the tablet market has any relevance on this?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
MS just want to bash Android :p

They are coming up with WP7 + Nokia,phone and tablet, hence this their fight against these companies