Microsoft Office Finally Comes to Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
office-mobile-android-google-play-store.png

Microsoft has been teasing it for quite some time, but they finally made it happen... Microsoft Office has come to Android officially. Intriguingly it is also FREE! Well... not really. You can download it for free, but you have to have an Office 365 subscription in order to use it.

There are two other things worth noting. One is you need Android 4.0 or higher to use it. The other is it doesn't work on tablets just yet. (This seems like a huge oversight doesn't it?)

Here's the Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.officehub

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Microsoft says Office Mobile is designed for Android phones and specifically for small-screen devices, even though many people will prefer editing documents on a tablet's larger screen. Like other mobile versions, the new Android software is meant for lightweight use offline. For example, you can use it to view and edit an attachment sent by email. But, it's not meant to create a complex spreadsheet from scratch.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
For me the ability to work on a word doc when I have some free time, or even create one is far better than using one of the office apps and going through the hassle of syncing and often converting. I really do welcome this.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
People I know are completely NOT interested in an office product for their Nexus 4, but would buy it in a minute for their Nexus 7. Personally, I am weaning myself off of MS Office to Google Docs on the laptop and using Google Drive on my tablet. It's cheaper and less of a hassle. I am also learning to use Prezi instead of Powerpoint. It is more interactive and visually interesting, but there is nothing for Android, yet. Microsoft may have seen its best days.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Don't count on it, Office is the King and will be for a very long time to come. As a whole suite nothing else even comes close. As I said before FOR ME this has just boosted the usefulness of my phone tremendously. Of course my phone could nearly be be considered a tablet anyway.